Default milk protein intolerance question

If your lo has a milk protein intolerance, would small portions of dairy upset them?

2 weeks ago I drank a huge glass of milk (blame it on the chocolate chip cookies). I don't normally drink milk but do eat dairy. Ds wound up being horribly gassy and fussy that day and night. So, I decided to eliminate dairy to see. We also started giving him a probiotic powder.

Since then, he hasn't had a repeat. However, I still put milk in my tea, eat cheese, and use butter.

I am wondering if it was just a fluke that he was gassy that day and if it's safe to try some milk again.

I have been really wanting some ice cream!

I would proceed with caution.
    We have seen several babies who do not respond well to a mothers high-dairy diet.
    mind you....DS could have just had a cranky night, the milk may have been a coincedence.
    if you have been able to eat small amounts of dairy with no issue, i would think a wee bit of ice cream would be ok.
    if it is a milk protien sensitivity, you may just need to avoid large quantities, no entirely eliminate.
    i would go further into detail but i am nak!
    Shawn
    Vesta Chick & Mompreneur Extrodinaire
    www.vestaparenting.ca
    Join the Vesta Parenting or Vesta Shop facebook page, it's mighty good

Expert Forum User

My LO is milk protein intolerant. She gets bloody stools & will scream for hours after being exposed. When I was bf'ing this would occur with the TINIEST amount of dairy in my system.
    FYI, most probiotic powders are made with "lactobiscillus", which is a dairy derivitive. I was only able to find one probiotic that was not made from dairy and it had to be ordered in to a specialty health shop.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pumpkinery-Creations/220912411314225

Expert Forum User

Oh, and when I eliminated dairy from my diet, that also included most processed foods because EVERYTHING contains dairy. It goes by alot of different names, like cassien, calcium carbonate, etc. Even trace amounts were eliminated, or my LO would scream.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pumpkinery-Creations/220912411314225

Expert Forum User

I had the same issue with my son when he was born. Grant you this is going back 12 or more years ago now. He was terribly intolerant to milk of any sort. It was a protein allergy as well. Our dr. explained to us there is a difference between a protein allergy and a milk intolerance. I forget the details now though. Is agree, proceed with caution. If you crave the ice cream, what about a lower milk fat solution? I would just watch the reaction and if he has the rash come up, you know he's not ready. My son today will eat milk and cheese but he knows his limit now. If he's had enough, he says so.

Expert Forum User

My second was like that. I could eat ice cream, cheese, butter, etc. just as you said but I could not drink milk or he would be very fussy and gassy.
    Jodie
    Mom to 3 boys (9, 7 and 4) &
    our little girl (born Dec 2013)
    www.brightmindschildcare.ca
    www.jodie.lovablelabels.ca

thanks for all your replies. I am going to try a little ice cream on the weekend and hopefully it agrees with him.

Expert Forum User

My DD started to have an intolerance when she was about 8 weeks old. It got very bad (colicky, gas, blood in stool), and I cut out all dairy even milk in coffee or butter on toast. I would try to add something small back in but even granola bars that had milk ingredients would cause her to have a reaction. It did kinda suck cause I didn't have ice cream at all last summer What I found odd though is that she grew out of the intolerance and at 9 months we were even able to give her milk based formula. Hopefully everything works out for you and your DS.

Whitehills...Two blocks from my childhood home!

I asked my family DR about this and he said it doens't matter what you ate. I think it does.

However if milk would matter then why not drinking...KWIM? The amount would be so small would it not?

Expert Forum User

Oh I also noticed that if I ate beef at all than DD would also show symptoms after b/c of the same protein that's in the milk. My dr. didn't have much to say about the connection b/w the 2 but I definately noticed it in her and had to stop eating both dairy and beef.

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I have absolutely no advice when it comes to a lo with that concern ... but speaking from my own personal experience of not being able to handle dairy wantedto let you know I found some AWESOME ice cream that is not ice cream at the superstore It is in the health food section. I had gone into find the soy ice cream bars someone else on here had recommended to me when I was seriously cravingthe ice cream, but unable to handle dairy. I found them... but better yet I found these little tubs of soy (zero dairy) ice cream in peanut butter and chocolate. I had been craving peanut butter chocolate ice cream so thought I would give it a try. Ohhh so yummy!! They have other flavours too.. that is just the only one I tried So if he is having a majour milk protien issue... maybe you could satisfy your ice cream crving through one of these.... it is not exactly the same... but I tell you it was creamy and yummy like ice cream and I do not know how since it very specifically says no dairy- lol
    Help my Kaitlyn reach her goal of selling 100 boxes of Chocolate Mint Girl Guide cookies. $5 each and we dliver. PM me

http://dawnfitzgerald.myepicure.com/
    But message me directly to order or book and I can get you a special LM deal

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn'sMommy View Post
    I have absolutely no advice when it comes to a lo with that concern ... but speaking from my own personal experience of not being able to handle dairy wantedto let you know I found some AWESOME ice cream that is not ice cream at the superstore It is in the health food section. I had gone into find the soy ice cream bars someone else on here had recommended to me when I was seriously cravingthe ice cream, but unable to handle dairy. I found them... but better yet I found these little tubs of soy (zero dairy) ice cream in peanut butter and chocolate. I had been craving peanut butter chocolate ice cream so thought I would give it a try. Ohhh so yummy!! They have other flavours too.. that is just the only one I tried So if he is having a majour milk protien issue... maybe you could satisfy your ice cream crving through one of these.... it is not exactly the same... but I tell you it was creamy and yummy like ice cream and I do not know how since it very specifically says no dairy- lol
    Thanks D! Again, you are sooooo pregnant!!! LOL!

The answer to the original question is YES, even a small amount will trigger a reaction. A sensitivty to a protein exists whether in large or small quantities so the irritation will still occur and over time even small amounts can affect the health and balance of the digestive system even further.
    Vanessa Case RHN
    Registered Holistic Nutritionist
    www.ournaturalconnection.com
    Creator of 10 Day Whole Food Detox!
    FB: www.facebook.com/ournaturalconnection
    Twitter: vanessa_onc
    Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/vanessacaserhn/
    BLOG: www.ournaturalconnectin.com/apps/blog

Any comments made on this forum are expressed as a personal opinion and comment. A full professional assessment is necessary to make proper recommendations specific to YOUR needs.

Quote Originally Posted by casevc5 View Post
    The answer to the original question is YES, even a small amount will trigger a reaction. A sensitivty to a protein exists whether in large or small quantities so the irritation will still occur and over time even small amounts can affect the health and balance of the digestive system even further.
    thanks!