Default Supplementing BM with formula - offering baby first bottle...

Do any of you supplement BM with formula on the very-very-occasional basis? I'm pretty lazy with the pumping, and finding it hard to be motivated to pump and have bottles ready, for the very very occasional time I go out. Mostly I'm a homebody, or i take him with me.

The thing is, we got offered tickets to a concert on Saturday, and that would mean a babysitter and a bottle.

Is it reasonable to think I can get him to take a bottle of formula by Saturday? That seems easier than figuring out how to pump and having enough ready by then, but maybe I'm just lazy (as mentioned before)

What do I need to know here? Do you think an occasional bottle will mess with what's otherwise exclusive on-demand breastfeeding? I'm talking 1-2x/month.

I pumped and would offer my son a bottle when I was exclusively nursing him and he refused to take it. If my mom was around, and I was nowhere to be found, he would sometimes take a bottle but usually it would be a real battle. I did give him formula a few times at the beginning because I didn't have a pump yet (wasn't sure how we were going to do with the nursing so didn't want to spend the money until I knew how we were doing). He would again kind of take the formula but not really. My son almost never took a bottle so it made it really hard to go anywhere without him. He would rather starve until I got home and could feed him again. If I were you, I would try offering a bottle in the next few days and see what happens. You might need someone else there to try and give it to him also and see if that works. Like I said, my son was more likely to take a bottle from my mom (not even my husband) only if I wasn't there. I don't think it will do too much if you offer a bottle 1-2x/month. It would make it easier on you if he would take it once in a while. Good luck with your decision.
    Loving every minute of being a mother of two little boys!

Ana
    Expert Forum User

How old is your baby?

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I'm with Hecate, first need to know age Also, does your little one take a bottle at all? You mentioned not being keen on pumping, but if the little one hasn't had a bottle and hasn't had formula, that is two things to introduce. There are other options than a bottle if they won't take that. Also, if it is a short evening, you've got lots of time potentially before Saturday

We didn't use formula, I pumped for when I was out. It took awhile till I could use a pump at first it was easier to hand express, which is partly why I'm curious how old your little one is.

My baby is 3 months old. Today, in fact.

Oh, and has never seen a bottle. How long does it take to introduce a bottle? I'm starting to think like going out on Saturday may be a pipe dream.

At that age, and especially since it's not a rigorous regular routine, I would just suck it up and pump. After 9 mos I sent cows milk for my baby's occasional bottles. But before that, tho I hate pumping and look like a sideshow doing it, that's what I would do.
    LondonMoms has really gone downhill, ever since they started chit chatting in the home and garden forum. There is a place for chit chat, people!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rootedngrounded View Post
    Oh, and has never seen a bottle. How long does it take to introduce a bottle? I'm starting to think like going out on Saturday may be a pipe dream.
    Hoo ya! Okay you might get lucky. Pump some milk and try it now! Maybe your babe will take it. Maybe not. Try feeding her from a cup also? They often take to that better. How long do you want to go for?

Having a wee babe is hard, I found it so hard to leave them.
    LondonMoms has really gone downhill, ever since they started chit chatting in the home and garden forum. There is a place for chit chat, people!!!

Ana
    Expert Forum User

Happy birthday to your baby! Three months would be fine for introducing a bottle, without worry of nipple confusion, IF she'll take it Many mothers find their babies wont take the bottle from them, but will take it from dad or someone else. Myrrah's suggestion of a cup would work too. Good luck!

Cup feeding would be a good option if the bottle doesn't work well. I second getting dad to try it and probably you out of the room It varies enormously between babies if they'll take a bottle the first time or not.

If it is a short evening and there is anyway you can pump, I"d try it then you're just battling getting baby to take a bottle or cup feed and not introducing something else to eat as well. Can you pump one side while nursing on the other, it is quicker that way as baby takes care of the letdowns for you...

Expert Forum User

Yeah, sorry, but I'd suck it up and pump ... I, personally, just wouldn't want to use anything but breastmilk at that tender age.

My dd wouldn't take a bottle; but some babes are fine with it. I second the cup feeding idea.
    "Show me your horse and I will tell you who you are." -- Old English Saying

I third the cup idea. When it came time to introduce water and eventually milk, I gave it to my son in a sippie cup and skipped the whole bottle routine.
    Loving every minute of being a mother of two little boys!

I agree with the above posters. If it's a concert it shouldn't be too too long. I'd feed before I left, feed again once I got home and leave enough expressed BM so that the sitter can cup feed while I'm gone! Just pump 5 or 10 minutes on each side after she's done feeding to have a few ounces ready!!
    Buy my stuff!!! Usually Baby & Young Boy Stuff!!
    Lots of Baby Girl Clothing right now!!
    http://london.kijiji.ca/c-PostersOth...serIdZ56392368