Expert Forum User

Default Having Jaw Broken?

Has anyone btdt? I have a lot of dental problems and have been told for years that I need a lot of work to fix it but my parents refused to pay for it as a teen (and my mother laughed and said I might as well do this since I've been dealing with it for so long and this is far from the first dentist to tell me I need all this work ).

A quick summary of what I've been told I would need done is having my jaw broken and moved forward, a baby molar pulled and possibly my wisdom teeth, the bone in the roof of my mouth broken to separate it and an expansion piece put in, braces for a couple years, a retainer for top and bottom all the time for a year (or two? can't remember) and at night forever apparently, etc. I was told all this by an orthondontist as a teen but my parents decided they wanted a third opinion upon hearing this. Today I saw the dentist and mentioned having some jaw pain and he said I need the surgery to fix my bite to fix all this, I have my very back molars on each side that touch and that is all - my bite is horrible. I'm honestly terrified of the idea! He did mention that he thinks usually OHIP covers most or all of the surgery and the braces and stuff would have to go through my benefits and I'd pay the rest.

Has anyone done this? Did OHIP pay for part/all of the surgery? How much pain am I looking recovery-wise? The dentist said I can expect a good three weeks of recovery time. I am so scared but I can't keep dealing with this annoying jaw pain and dental problems b/c of my bite. Less than two weeks ago I had my other baby molar pulled and b/c the other molars crowded it so much and had grown over it kind of at like a 45 degree angle which pushed it back up so it had become connected to the jaw bone and was awful to have pulled, I've never felt so much pressure before and it felt like all my teeth were coming out, now there is some root left on the bone that he may need to go back for if the gums don't cover it in the next month. I have awful luck with dental stuff! (BTW, I do brush and take care of my teeth!)

I'm hoping someone has btdt and can tell me what it's like to help me decide what to do. If I decide I'm really serious about this my dentist will make the referrals for the consultation with an oral surgeon and orthodontist who apparently work very well together and will come up with a plan for me.
    Alicia
    Mommy to Summer, Avery, and Bentley

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

that sounds OUCH!! Sorry I haven't btdt, do you HAVE to have it done or is it just a recommendation?
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User

My dad has btdt but not quite to the extent you have written. I don't believe he had the bone in the roof of his mouth broken, but for sure he had the following done...

jaw broken and moved forward
    roof of mouth scraped and "bits" added to his gums to build them up
    braces, retainers, etc

and all at the ripe old age of 50 (so 15 yrs ago)! He lives in BC so I can't answer the OHIP question for you. I will ask him about the jaw break when i talk to him next...
    www.southhilldesigns.com/carolwood
    www.facebook.com/charms2last.carolwood

The devil on my left shoulder wants me to reply, but the angel on my right shoulder is screaming: filter.....FILTER! - unknown

I haven't btdt, but everyone in my family also have horrid dental luck. no matter how often I brush my teeth and floss, I ALWAYS need work done. always.
    anyways, back to you.

my bro also had alot of orthodontic issues. he had the roof of his mouth 'cranked' (I think thats what they called it) and also alot of reconstruction on the bottom as well.

If it's the same procedure as my bro, it will be a slow break, an appliance inserted and a 'key' used to wind up (kinda like a lock) to create pressure- slowly manipulate the bones to where the orthodontist needs them.

he had it done almost 10 years ago and at that time, it was not covered by ohip (infact no portion of it was). Infact, between my parents, over 10 000 was shelled out (partially covered under group dental plans)....

So, Not sure if your ortho is misinformed or talking of a different procedure, but I'd look thoroughly into that if I were you.
    A son can charm himself into (and out of) most things

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

when I was 15 the summer before I started HS, I had my jaw 'cut' and wired shut forward by about 2". I was wired shut for almost 2 months. ONLY liquid diet. Only real pain for about a week after that not so much. They didn't have to do the roof extension thankfully. Everything else you mentioned after, retainers etc I had done for a few years after including braces. I would have to ask my mom if it was covered or not as the procedure was done in the hospital ( looked like I had the mumps and NO i'm not showing the U the pics eww) I still have numbness in my chin from where they cut the muscles and I literally lost my singing voice, Dr.s they probably damaged the vochal cords. Ask alot of questions first. I'm glad it was done now, (minus the singing voice part).

I have btdt. I will try and answer your questions the best I can from what I remember. I had my procedure 2 days after I graduated from grade 8 so I do not remember what the pain was like...and my parents pain for it so I do not know the price. It was overnight in hospital.
    My parents were basically told that I would have to have it done either now or when I was like 18 but suggested it be done now as recovery is quicker. We were also told that if I didn't get it done before a certain age I would start to loose teeth as my teeth at the back (molars, wisdom teeth) grew in because there would not be enough room for them.
    I have metal plates in my jaw still...and always will. I had my top jaw moved forward and made bigger and bottom yaw pushed back, centered and made smaller. They took out both the wisdom teeth on the bottom jaw and I forget if they took them out on the top.
    Before the procedure I had braces for a LONG time. I also at a rapid expansion retainer at 3 different times to widen my top jaw.
    I was on liquids for a few weeks then I could only eat soft food for so many weeks before I could eat regular food. You can see the scars from the stitches in my gums too...lol

April 14, 2001-May 05, 2001
    April 29, 2015

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

lol, maybe THATS y the alarms went off in the airport. that would explain alot.

We are in a similiar position with DD. It looks like we can't avoid surgery. We have an appointment for a consultation with a surgeon. The orthodontist said her recovery would be 6-8 weeks.

Expert Forum User

Thanks for all the replies and information! The bone in the roof of my mouth would have to be broken and then have the expansion thing put in b/c it has hardened with time, it doesn't have to be broken first if it is done at a young age. The dentist today said they may be able to get away without doing that but the orthodontist I saw a few yrs ago said it would have to be done so I'm guessing it would likely need to be if I go for the consult with the orthodontist.

I don't HAVE to have it done but in order to get rid of the problems I am having already I need it done, it's pretty much a choice between constant jaw pain and all my other dental issues or having the surgery and everything else needed done. I guess I'm leaning towards it right now b/c I've been having a lot of jaw pain but if I think about it on a good day I may change my mind. I'm thinking about it too much and I imagine the actual jaw breaking and it grosses me out and seems awful.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    lol, maybe THATS y the alarms went off in the airport. that would explain alot.
    Thanks for the laugh! So just how much pain is "real pain" for a week? I'm not afraid of just the pain but also the painkillers, I tend to react strongly to pain meds and often they make me vomit which doesn't sound like a good idea. The last time I took any pain medicine I took 1/4 of a tylenol 3 and was so drugged I couldn't even hold DD (she was a baby then) so I worry about what kind of pain meds I would need for this and how I would handle them.

Quote Originally Posted by just ducky View Post
    We are in a similiar position with DD. It looks like we can't avoid surgery. We have an appointment for a consultation with a surgeon. The orthodontist said her recovery would be 6-8 weeks.
    Have they mentioned if any of it will likely be covered by OHIP in your DD's case or are you likely going to have to pay it? I have $1500 in orthodontics as a max so not much if we have to pay for all this stuff.
    Alicia

Quote Originally Posted by allie193 View Post
    Have they mentioned if any of it will likely be covered by OHIP in your DD's case or are you likely going to have to pay it? I have $1500 in orthodontics as a max so not much if we have to pay for all this stuff.
    I didn't think to ask about that today.

I had everything you had except the pallet widening. It was about 3 years total of braces.

Step one was having my small molar removed. About 2 weeks later the brackets were put on and a week after that the wire connecting them was put on. I went for monthly to the orthodontist for the next 2 years.

At that point my teeth were pretty much in alignment to where they should be (all nice and straight in a row). I had the jaw surgery at that point. They broke my jaw in two places and screwed it into place (I have 10 screws total plus 4 peices of wire in my face). While they were in there they took out my wisdom teeth and put in a plate in my chin to balance out my face. The entire surgery except my chin plate was covered by OHIP (this was 10 years ago, but your orthodontist should be able to confirm this at your consult).

I had braces for one more year. This I was told, was to prevent any shifting of the teeth while my face healed. I had a retainer that I wore faithfully every day for two years until I graduated high school. And then every night until I had my first college boyfriend who slept over lol!!!

Long term, there has been minimal shifting of my teeth but am considering having a permanent retainer put in my upper teeth to prevent any further movement. I have however developed severe TMJ and have bad arthritis in my right jaw joint, so going though all that may not completely solve your problem.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Spring View Post
    I had everything you had except the pallet widening. It was about 3 years total of braces.

Step one was having my small molar removed. About 2 weeks later the brackets were put on and a week after that the wire connecting them was put on. I went for monthly to the orthodontist for the next 2 years.

At that point my teeth were pretty much in alignment to where they should be (all nice and straight in a row). I had the jaw surgery at that point. They broke my jaw in two places and screwed it into place (I have 10 screws total plus 4 peices of wire in my face). While they were in there they took out my wisdom teeth and put in a plate in my chin to balance out my face. The entire surgery except my chin plate was covered by OHIP (this was 10 years ago, but your orthodontist should be able to confirm this at your consult).

I had braces for one more year. This I was told, was to prevent any shifting of the teeth while my face healed. I had a retainer that I wore faithfully every day for two years until I graduated high school. And then every night until I had my first college boyfriend who slept over lol!!!

Long term, there has been minimal shifting of my teeth but am considering having a permanent retainer put in my upper teeth to prevent any further movement. I have however developed severe TMJ and have bad arthritis in my right jaw joint, so going though all that may not completely solve your problem.
    Thank you for the information! I will definitely ask how much this will help before going through with it b/c if I'm still going to have the jaw pain then I'm even less sure about it. Do you remember how much pain you were in during recovery? It would be awhile before I would be doing this anyway but I have a 3 month old and an almost 4 year old so I'm worried about how I would look after them while on any sort of pain medication since I don't handle it well. Would you do it again since you have developed the jaw issues you're experiencing now? At this point I have jaw pain daily so if it will help I am leaning towards doing it. Thank you again!
    Alicia

I was 16 when I did it, 27 now, but my mom had the same thing done in her late 20’s (and she was a single mom with 2 kids).

After the monthly orthodontic visits I would eat something soft for the first day or two b/c my teeth were sensitive (soup, eggs etc). After that not too bad, and Advil is wonderful for any of the pain.

The surgery was another beast. I think the first 2 weeks I was so swollen and hopped up on pain medication (think spaced out, purple and green blow fish lol). After that things got better. I should note my mouth wasn’t wired shut, but was in the hospital for 3 or 4 days. I ate a lot of soft foods for several weeks and slowly introduced firmer food. I would say I felt great after 2 weeks, 100% after 8 weeks.

When my mom had hers done our grandma and aunts took turns helping when we came home from school (with dinner, bed time) for the first several weeks. We were a little older (school aged) but if you have a spouse or family that can help you, you should have no problem with the kids.

As for the long term pain, it’s not so bad. Usually when it’s *really* bad I use a heat pack on my face. It helps loosen the muscles in my jaw. I have also done ultrasound and acupuncture therapies with long term results (issue comes back but I can go several months with minimal symptoms after a course of either treatment). It will get worse over time because of the arthritis, but I’m not overly concerned just yet (doctors aren’t either).

The other issue I have is because of the chin plate, they cut all the nerves in my chin. I do not have proper sensation in my chin (if I touch it, it feels line pins and needles). My mom and I also have troubles with the cold. We really feel it in our face and have trouble talking in cold environments (outside in the winter, overly a/c places in the summer). It’s quirky but it’s strange that we both have it.

I'm surprised that there is still OHIP coverage to help with the costs. That is great if it will help you for yours.

If after this type of procedure you are still having jaw pain or feeling like the teeth are still not fitting together well/comfortably, you should see a dentist that is able analyze your bite and the way the teeth are positioned and changing, so that he might be able to make a small adjustment to bring relief and balance back to the occlusion of your teeth.
    I am a dental hygienist and you can pm me if you need some direction in that area.