Thread: Only Children

Default Only Children

My husband and I have decided that we only want to have one child. We now have a wonderful son who has filled all of our dreams. Still, I am struggling with a sense of guilt for my son - am I robbing him of brothers and sisters? Does anyone have any thoughts about a one-child family??

I don't have any advice for you, but just wanted to let you know you're not alone - we're considering the same thing. I think you could go back and forth about benefits, drawbacks, etc... it's a tough choice to make, trust me I know.

Expert Forum User

I to am seriously considering on only having Maia.

We are in the same boat too. There have been a few threads about this but it boils down to personal choice. The thing that I am getting all the time right now is people asking when we are going to have more or just simply looking at my stomach to check if I am pregnant again. That is hard.

One of my close friends is a only-child and turned out just fine. Shes happy and healthy and loves her little family. I personally can't imagine having a small family, but I don't think it harms a child emotionally either way! Just make sure the child gets lots of interaction outside of home with other children and he will be just fine!

Expert Forum User

I am an only child and love it! I wanted siblings when I was little but now I'm glad I don't have any. I feel bad for my son that he is going to have a sibling and not be the center of attention anymore. Don't let anybody make you feel bad about only having one.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

It's really a tough decision, isn't it? I'm thinking about this a lot lately myself and unfortunately have no real advice for you. Just wanted to wish you good luck!