Thread: Accupuncture

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Accupuncture

Ok, so I'm 3 days overdue, not a big deal, but I'm trying to make sure I avoid induction since I'm going for a waterbirth at home and here is my question.

When I was pregnant with dd I was overdue and the night before my scheduled induction I had a foley catheter put in and I had accupuncture done at the Chinese Medicine Clinic. I swore I would never do it again because it hurt so much. The problem is that my legs were really swollen so he kept putting the needle in the one leg because he couldn't get the nerve. Well the next day I had contractions. Was it the accupuncture, foley catheter or just the time? Who knows, I went ahead with the induction and she was born the next morning.

Fast forward to know. I had accupuncture on Thursday with a naturopath I've been seeing. She has a different set up but it didn't really hurt (though I notice the right side points are a lot more sensitive then the left, which were almost numb). Obviously didn't work since no baby, but I went earlier in the day and the swelling was less so no limping outta there.

Here's my question, I'm willing to do more accupuncture. Should I arrange it with the naturopath I used on Thur or go back to the Chinise Medicine Clinic I used 2 years ago?
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

Doesn't answer your question, although, I LOVE Lisa Kervin.
    Acupuncture Massage Therapy - London Ontario Canada - Lisa Kervin and Associates Shes on Oxford near Richmond. She validates parking, if your interested.
    At one time I was going to Accu up to three times a week. All the best to you.

We love Lisa Kervin too!!! We recommend all our overdue Naturally Born students to her. I personally used her with my third child, went into labour 48 hrs later. Sorry...nak! or would offer more detail!
    Shawn
    Vesta Chick & Mompreneur Extrodinaire
    www.vestaparenting.ca
    Join the Vesta Parenting or Vesta Shop facebook page, it's mighty good

I think you should go wherever you are most comfortable. If your body isn't ready the accupuncture isn't going to work anyway so it may be a matter of getting multiple treatments.
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Well I asked dh's opinion and he doesn't think I should have any more accupuncture. So maybe I'll hold off for now, I have a stretch and sweep on Wed so we'll see what happens then.

may I ask why DH doesn't want you to have it done?

Im with the other posters, go where you feel most comfortable!

Goodluck! I can't believe you're overdue!

He doesn't think it works. I'm not really comfortable at either place. I don't know that I have a lot of faith in the naturopath's accupuncture. I do kind of think the Chinese Medicine clinic would work but I'm not comfortable there because of the horrible pain it caused last time. I know the pain was because of the leg swelling and I had been working all day, so doing it in the morning would probably reduce the problem, but I limped out of there and had pain right until I ended up with an epidural during the birth.

Quote Originally Posted by aidensmom View Post
    Well I asked dh's opinion and he doesn't think I should have any more accupuncture. So maybe I'll hold off for now, I have a stretch and sweep on Wed so we'll see what happens then.

Ouch! The new literature I have read on stretch and sweeps....makes me glad I avoided one with my last pregnancy.
    Shawn
    Vesta Chick & Mompreneur Extrodinaire
    www.vestaparenting.ca
    Join the Vesta Parenting or Vesta Shop facebook page, it's mighty good

Well if stretch and sweeps aren't the way to go, what does everyone suggest for kickstarting labour? I've heard stretch and sweeps can be painful, but they seem to be pretty standard for midwives and I'm not sure what else to do to get labour going.

I would love to be sitting on my labour ball bouncing, but I can't find the darn thing!

Not trying to sway you here just wanted to give you the research on acupuncture (I may have already given this to you). I still think you need to do whatever feels right for you.

Acupuncture for induction of labour

- Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Here is the Cochrane (source for evidence in health care) review on stretch and sweeps. The evidence indicates that it can be effective but that it is uncomfortable and can cause bleeding & irregular contractions. It can be tough to make these decisions - you need to listen to yourself and weigh the risks/benefits of your particular situation and what you are hoping for.

Membrane sweeping for induction of labour

- Henry David Thoreau

"

Thank you so much for posting this! I am one day past due and actually was just sitting down to post to this forum to ask whether anyone could recommend an accupuncturist who does labour induction. I'll hold on to Lisa Kervin's name in case I decide to go that route.

Is there anyone else in town who is especially good for inducing labour with accupuncture?

For my first labour, I had pitocin, and I definitely would like to avoid that.

Well I just made an app for another accupuncture session with a recommended accupuncturist for tomorrow so we'll see what happens!

Expert Forum User

good luck...major labour vibes coming your way

I'm going to also recommend Lisa Kervin. I saw her for another issue, but she's really good. She knows her stuff, office is very clean and you can't even feel the needles (honest). I also liked how she explained how things work in terms I can understand.

I also know she treats a lot of women for various fertility issues. I think if you’re going to go that route, you should call her.