Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Still nursing all the time...

and she doesn't seem to be satisfied. Why??? DD eats every hour and now is nursing for 20 to 30 mins and sometimes will go to the other side but never seems to be satisfied. She crys and makes motions as if she is still hungry.

I have seen threads about people thinking their baby is not getting enough but is it possible she isn't?? I mean my milk should have adjusted by now to her needs feeding as often as I do. I often offer her the breast just to comfort her but that backfires often as she will yank the nipple and hurt me. I am also getting little rest or time to do anything at all. And to top it all off today I have a migraine. Only the 2nd time in my life having one and with visual disturbance. (1st being in university and stress of school lol)

Any suggestions? I feel like a total failure because everyone keeps saying "oh maybe you just aren't giving her enough each feed" "maybe you just do not make enough"

Just for back ground she has lots of really wet diapers...lots of poops etc.

My son...My step-son...

Expert Forum User

awww.....you sound like you're feeling pretty tired right now...*hugs* ..i know the feeling!

there are so many people here who will have lots of expert advice and ideas for you, so i'll try not to say too much

i remember my son nursed like CRAZY in the first couple of months at least....i pretty much lived on the couch night and day. literally.....(i wish i was exaggerating). he seemed to have one constant growth spurt, lol.

my daughter seemed to nurse a lot on the beginning but she actually wasn't getting enough because she was too little and didn't have the energy yet. BUT...she did NOT have a lot of wet diapers and hardly any poops in the 2nd and 3rd week, so i knew that something wasn't right (but knew i had tons of milk).

my first reaction is to say that you sound like you have the mlik supply if she has lots of wet and poopy diapers...is she gaining weight as well?

a couple of times when i've been a bit paranoid about milk supply, i've tried pumping just to reassure myself have you ever pumped?

is it possible that you have a forceful letdown and she's getting a lot of milk at once? i've noticed that just a few times with DD.....and i remember DS had a bit of trouble with one side at the very beginning. and then, ironically, i had slow letdown on the other side , so he would often pull away frustrated because it wasn't coming quick enough, lol.

again, i know others will be far more helpful to you but one big thing with DD that i've experienced is that she seems to have a really high need to suck----so she will nurse very happily for quite a while. (no fussing or pulling away etc)....then she will start to pull off, but fuss if i pull her away from the breast, lol....then she'll pull off again when i put her back to the breast, etc.....so in her case, i discovered that after she was finished feeding, she often still wanted to suck, but didn't want milk! she hasn't taken to a soother very well....but sometimes she's calmed by sucking on the end of my finger and then she falls asleep VERY quickly.

you poor thing----you must be feeling horrible with your migraine i hope you're feeling much better soon.
    "My mind is going a mile an hour."

Expert Forum User

I'll put money on you being dehydrated. I get migraines when I'm dehydrated. By drinking lots of water, your migraine should go away and also boost your supply.

Add to that that she is in a typical growth spurt time (1 week, 3 weeks, 3 months, 6 months) give or take. Growth spurts can last up to a week.

Hang in there and be sure you're getting enough to eat and drink. When you think you've had enough water, drink some more

MM
    *sigh*

Breastfeeding Success Essentials:
    SUPPORT ~ EDUCATION ~ DETERMINATION

Beat the "Booby Traps" to Breastfeeding Success!

~The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'~

~Do or Do Not. There is no try.~
    Yoda

Expert Forum User

Yeah, sounds like a growth spurt to me, too. How old is your LO now?

Ftr, dd nursed like crazy the first ... well, 8 months? By then, she started to taper off a bit, as she was starting to eat "real" food and was interested in other things. It does get easier ... it really does. By the time you get through this nursing will be easy peasy .... Just as she starts to show an interest in other things, you'll be thinking you're an old pro, lol. Then you'll worry that she's not nursing enough!
    "Show me your horse and I will tell you who you are." -- Old English Saying

My daughter is 3.5 weeks.

I drank a ton of water today... migraine went away but DD continues to want to suck constantly and will pull away from breast over and over and over...yikes...

My son...My step-son...

3 week growth spurt? 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months. More than likely this is the issue. The cluster feeds can be tough but it shouldn't last long at all. hang in there!
    Vanessa Case RHN
    Registered Holistic Nutritionist
    www.ournaturalconnection.com
    Creator of 10 Day Whole Food Detox!
    FB: www.facebook.com/ournaturalconnection
    Twitter: vanessa_onc
    Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/vanessacaserhn/
    BLOG: www.ournaturalconnectin.com/apps/blog

Any comments made on this forum are expressed as a personal opinion and comment. A full professional assessment is necessary to make proper recommendations specific to YOUR needs.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

My milk supply took about 2 months to establish. I know that dosen't help, but it might be a comfort to know that what you're experiencing is normal. Stay hydrated, keep offering the breast when you can, and try to eat well and rest. Are you able to nurse laying down?
    The poster formerly known as Geomamma

Totally normal IMO. My son was never an 'every 3 hr' eater.
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by princess2808 View Post
    Totally normal IMO. My son was never an 'every 3 hr' eater.
    Yours and mine both. What's up with these babies not reading the manual before they come into the World? There must be a baby boot camp for that

MM
    *sigh*

Breastfeeding Success Essentials:
    SUPPORT ~ EDUCATION ~ DETERMINATION

Beat the "Booby Traps" to Breastfeeding Success!

~The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'~

~Do or Do Not. There is no try.~
    Yoda

Ana
    Expert Forum User

I just want to add to the general concensus that this is a growth spurt. Your milk supply will adjust in a couple of days - its completely normal. Just keep doing what you are doing - its exactly right.

Ok I am going to throw something into the mix here. I was able to pump 3.5 oz yesterday for her. I was just at my moms fed her off of both sides as much as she wanted to and in LESS then one hour we were home and she ate the whole 3.5 oz...

is it possible she just is a lazy nurser and not getting what she needs to be fullfilled? She is content after the BM given by bottle.

?????

My son...My step-son...

Just because she is sucking from your breast doesn't mean she is hungry either. It is perfectly acceptable for a baby just to have a sucking desire. Also could just be thirsty.

Bottles tend to artificially fill a baby up. How often do parents encourage a baby to "eat the last oz" because they don't want to waste it.
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

She only gained 8 oz in two weeks...that means the bare minimum. That can't be that great for all the eating she is doing. I do not think I am making enough milk So I am starting the fenugreek and pumping to increase supply starting this evening. Wish me luck!

My son...My step-son...

Have you been 'bugging' her while feeding, so she swallows as much as she can? I'm talking stripping her down, wet wash cloth down her back, pumping her arms up and down... That's what my midwife had me do with my DS, and it was very effective. We saw quite a turnaround, he started gaining a whole lot. I needed some support when I was doing that kind of 'encouragement', because I felt like I needed extra arms. Is there anyone who can be with you from time to time during a feeding to offer support?

Expert Forum User

I think she's comfort nursing. If she gets upset (pulls away) when you offer the second breast maybe it's because she's not hungry.

The other thing that comes to mind is she yanks because she is getting TOO much milk. Try expressing a little first then let her have a go.

Trust that your body will supply everything she needs. Eat and drink well and don't let yourself get run down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast