Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default She eats more than I can make

This is sooooo hard. My LO seems to be eating more than I can make. I was told to stop suplimenting but what do I do if she just not getting anything? I can't just let her go hungry. I try to feed her what I have but there seems to be nothing there and she just pulls and fusses and crys.
    I don't want to keep giving her formula, but I don't want her to go hungry either.
    What do I do??
    Last edited by Mitsa14; 05-04-2009 at 03:25 AM.

Ana
    Expert Forum User

I know its tough, but its only been about 12 hours since you stopped supplementing, right? Your milk is going to start to adjust very soon. It doesnt take long. Just keep putting her to the breast frequently - like very hour if neccessary - and you will make more milk!

Here is a site with lots of great information about low supply and supplementing and fussiness. You can do this!!

kellymom.com :: Increasing Low Milk Supply

I know it's hard right now, but breastmilk is a supply and demand product. The more she sucks, the more you make. Hunker down for a few days of round the clock nursing. Ask for help with the house while you do this, if you can. If you want to meet other moms who have lived through tough times like these and have gone on to happily breastfeed try going to a Breastfeeding Cafe or Clinic at Vesta Resource & Wellness Centre :: St. Thomas, ON. 10-11:30 on Tuesdays and 10-12:00 on Thursdays. I'll be there Thursday if you want help in person
    YOU CAN DO IT!!!
    Looking for a comfortable, beautiful, inexpensive, locally made ring sling to carry your little one???
    Try mine!
    My Zen Baby Slings: Parenting By the Heart
    www.myzenbaby.com
    Check out all our new Spring/Summer fabrics!

well .. sumtimes it isnt enough .. thats what i learned .. i wanted to exclusively breastfedd but no matter how much i put her to the breast i would not make enough and had to give formula aswell as breast milk.. i breastfed as much as possible of course and tried many things to make myself produce more but nothing helped.. sumtimes (if its your first[my mother said]) you wont make enough.

keep trying! dont give up you may just meet her needs, dont be discouraged and get what help you can to try and produce more.. but if it doesnt happen dont fret it doesnt mean anything bad.. i got depressed when i couldnt produce enough and it turned into PPD but after realizing it wasn't my fault it was just my body wasn't used to it

Team - Edward!!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Yeah round the clock nursing is the ticket! She needs to build your supply, which may take a couple of days. Try to free up your schedule/life as much as possible so you can sit there and nurse her, literally she might nurse almost constantly. Nothing else by mouth, like no pacis, no bottles, etc. You'll want to monitor wet/dirty dipes to make sure she is not dehydrated, but other than that, her signs of hunger will hopefully be temporary as she gets you to produce the milk she needs. Good luck!
    LondonMoms has really gone downhill, ever since they started chit chatting in the home and garden forum. There is a place for chit chat, people!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sammie519 View Post
    well .. sumtimes it isnt enough .. thats what i learned .. i wanted to exclusively breastfedd but no matter how much i put her to the breast i would not make enough and had to give formula aswell as breast milk.. i breastfed as much as possible of course and tried many things to make myself produce more but nothing helped.. sumtimes (if its your first[my mother said]) you wont make enough.

keep trying! dont give up you may just meet her needs, dont be discouraged and get what help you can to try and produce more.. but if it doesnt happen dont fret it doesnt mean anything bad.. i got depressed when i couldnt produce enough and it turned into PPD but after realizing it wasn't my fault it was just my body wasn't used to it

Aw Sammie I'm sorry you had that experience.

It wouldn't be to do with it being your first baby though, at least I've never ever heard that and I've read a lot on the subject. A small percentage of women have true low supply issues not caused by circumstance, and then there are all sorts of things that can happen during the birth or once our babes are here to compromise supply before it comes in fully. Supplementing with formula in the first days, some birth interventions, etc.

If you have some supply usually putting baby to the breast on demand, cutting out supplements and artificial nipples etc will do the trick. If you need a bit more help you can get a script for Domperidone from your doctor. So that is another option if need be. But I would definitely think nursing on demand, especially if you are already partially breastfeeding, should do the trick nicely for most ppl.
    LondonMoms has really gone downhill, ever since they started chit chatting in the home and garden forum. There is a place for chit chat, people!!!

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

drink lotsa water!!! i noticed a diference when i upped my water intake, and check out vesta for support. i would have quit at 2 weeks without them...i'm still supplementing but some boob is better than no boob.

try fenugreek? herb used for increasing supply, 3 pills 3x a day.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Drink LOTS of water (when you think you've drank enough, drink more) and eat oatmeal. FEED FEED FEED. Even if she isn't getting something keep her there. If you have a pump, pump after you feed her. When you are dry and still being "demanded" your body knows it needs to make more. If you are dry them pop a bottle in her mouth you just told your body that it is making enough.

ETA: you can do it!
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

Sammie,
    Did you also try herbs or any prescriptions to increase your milk supply? There is so much more you can do if you are feeling pressure to supplement. It is tough when even our moms can't help us, isn't it? Most moms do produce enough, even for their first babies, as long as they aren't using pacifiers, supplements or feeding schedules. I'm not sure who else you turned to for information and support, but from the little that I just read you may not have found the right support. There is lots of great information and support out there, the trouble is finding it before baby comes
    The first place I'd try is Vesta Resource & Wellness Centre :: St. Thomas, ON. They have helped hundreds and hundreds of moms reach their individual breastfeeding goals. Spread the word!
    Looking for a comfortable, beautiful, inexpensive, locally made ring sling to carry your little one???
    Try mine!
    My Zen Baby Slings: Parenting By the Heart
    www.myzenbaby.com
    Check out all our new Spring/Summer fabrics!

Ana
    Expert Forum User

The vast majority of mothers can make enough milk for their babies. There is no reason to think you wont be able to as well, Mitsa14. Keep nursing frequently - dont worry that it will make you sore - its not frequent nursing that does that, but poor latch. You'll see a difference very soon. And I'm going to remind you again, because its important, take care of yourself! Let the housework slide, do things that relax you and sleep when the baby sleeps.

Ana
    Expert Forum User

How are things, Mitsa14?

It's still dificult I started taking a pill that my Dr. gave me. He still wants me to supliment with formula becasue he says that there are things in formula that breast milk dosen't have. I don't know what else to do. And as far as the water intake, I have been drinking tons of water since I was pregnant. (it was my craving) I just started the pill yesterday so I will let you know what that does for me.

zenmama: i tried a pill my doc gave me. it didnt help and i tried vitamins and few things i read up online as i didnt get out much pp because it was dead cold outside. But my mother had trouble trying to exclusively breastfeed my older bro becaue of lack of supply. she knew more by the time she had me to be able to do it. i know more about how to prepare my body before deliivery and after now that if im anything like my mom (most ways i am) i should be able to by kid number 2 lol

anyway! hope the pill helps you mitsa!! goodluck with it all .

Team - Edward!!

Is 15-20 minutes about every 2-3 hours enough feeding time? I read that it should be about 30-40 mnutes.

Ana
    Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsa14 View Post
    It's still dificult I started taking a pill that my Dr. gave me. He still wants me to supliment with formula becasue he says that there are things in formula that breast milk dosen't have. I don't know what else to do. And as far as the water intake, I have been drinking tons of water since I was pregnant. (it was my craving) I just started the pill yesterday so I will let you know what that does for me.
    Oh Mitsa! Breastmilk is the ideal food, formula is made by copying the components of human milk. And scientists still dont quite understand all thats in human milk and how it all works together, so the duplicate is imperfect. There is NOTHING in formula that is good for your baby that isnt in breastmilk naturally. Really! Unfortunately doctors dont have a lot of training in breastfeeding and so they often give erroneous advice such as this. I am not sure what to tell you. I know its hard when its just some lady on the internet telling you something that contradicts what your doctor is saying, but ask around among lactation consultants and La Leche League Leaders who have specialized training in breastfeeding and you'll see this is true.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast