Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default odd phone call from Australia

Yesterday about 5:30 PM, I get this call with an odd number (call ID, not enough numbers, just about don't answer thinking 'tele-market's again). But I do.
    She says, "Hi, are you in London, Ontario?"
    "Yes", says I
    "This is so-in-so, calling from Australia"
    I say, "and why would you be doing that?"
    She then goes in to questions about a "Lucky Split Ranch" : what? where? have I ever been? what did I think? I answered truefully that being somewhat new to London that no I didn't know what or where the "lucky split ranch" was, but did suggest that if she wanted inside info, to come here to London Mom's "cause they know everything, about anything". Said good bye and thought nothing of it until the news last night. Something about a Kangaroo at the ranch and that it is causing people in Australia to be rather upset. Odd? Can't get it out of my mind now. So... if someone from Australia is reading, or comes on and asks questions......

Banned

This is a news story from Australia about it:

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...006007,00.html

I wish they would just shut that place down and find those animals new homes.

that is so sad...

I am really ashamed of our city/province that we allow that. I also feel bad for the poor animals at storybook gardens- their conditions don't look great either.

What can I do? Is there anyone I can call/ write to?
    Heather.

Push button. Receive bacon.

We've never been to that zoo, but have heard that it's terrible, maybe we can start a petition or something to close the zoo and perhaps have the animals sent to a proper zoo, like Toronto. I know that animals shouldn't be kept in zoos but however most of these animals wouldn't be able to survive in the outside world. Or at least that's what I've heard, I could totally be wrong. I'm actually embrassed by this city for not doing more.

Storybook gardens should also have the animals removed from there, they look so miserable and unhappy.

Banned

We were at Storybook this past weekend, and I hate to see the animals there. There is just nothing for them there!

I went to that Lickety Split Ranch place once (I didn't know what it was like and had already told my kids we were going to see animals) and it was by far the most depressing place I have ever been. If I hadn't already promised my kids a trip to the "zoo" I would've just left.

I think it is an embarrassment to both London and Ontario/Canada that this place is still running! I remember the last time there was a fuss over the kangaroo, the woman that owns the place said something like "all our animals are well looked after, just come and see" and I thought it was so obnoxious to be trying to drum up business when you are being blasted for not looking after your animals!!

In the article from Australia it says that David Zimmer (MPP) has introduced a bill that would close down zoos that mistreat their animals.

The kangaroo's plight has been the catalyst for a bill before the Legislative Assembly of Ontario, which would force zoos to close if they did not provide appropriate living conditions for the animals they kept.

More than 13,000 people have signed a petition in support of the bill, introduced last year by Liberal Party MP David Zimmer.
    His email address is: dzimmer.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org

The WSPA also has a pretty good website with some places that you can contact:
    http://www.wspa.ca/

I already signed their petition and will look into it more when I get back from my first school run!

Back to Donna for a moment - why did they call you in particular?
    www.pamperedchef.biz/maryfurlan

Take Charge! Take Action! Ask me how easy it is to be your own boss!

Default zoo

May they thought she was the Donna lady in the article?

Expert Forum User

The lickety split ranch is by far the most cruel place I've ever been to. All of the animals were in VERY small cages, had no energy. I hope that someone somehow gets this place shut down.

I know that Storeybook also has small enclosures, but it's like the Hilton compared to the lickety split.
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!

That's awful. I've seen the sign posts to Lickety Split on the highway but have never been. Now I never will!
    Mom to Ali (3) & Eva (1)

Expert Forum User

That is sick! Look at that poor thing

I will never ever go there! Let me know if you get something together ...I will sign it!
    Mom to DS - 9.5 years old
    AND

Expert Forum User

That's what was on my mind. I'm thinking they were just adjusting phone numbers about until they had someone answer. I'm not list in the phone book under "Donna". I still have the number on call-display (wouldn't live without it....) 124-942-3096 ... anyone feel like spending the money to find out? I tried www.411.com but it doesn't come up with anything.

Thanks for posting this info on Lickety Split Ranch. Once we move to London, I'm sure we'll be looking for things to do and places to go...and I'm sure glad to know NOT to go there!!!

Why on earth is the owner keeping the kangeroo? Is it really drawing in lots of happy people to see it? I'd love to know! Poor thing; the kangeroo looks to miserable and sad!

Banned

If we don't go to these places and we teach our children it is wrong they will eventually have to shut down because they won't make any money.
    Also I believe that Quebec has worse animal cruelty laws than we do but ours do suck!
    Anyone want to do a protest??

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    That's what was on my mind. I'm thinking they were just adjusting phone numbers about until they had someone answer. I'm not list in the phone book under "Donna". I still have the number on call-display (wouldn't live without it....) 124-942-3096 ... anyone feel like spending the money to find out? I tried www.411.com but it doesn't come up with anything.
    Do you remember what the persons name was? I will call.....see if they are just calling random people or calling certain people...

Expert Forum User

No, I was really only 1/2 listening, thinking it was telemarketers..... which is usually how I listen to telemarketers, while making dinner. It was very staticy also, like how mobble phones where like in the 'old'n days' not long ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast