Default Speed-dating for Doulas! May 4th!

It's almost here!
    Are you curious about labour support? Come out to Vesta and meet several doulas in a low-pressure environment. This event is absolutely free. The dating begins at 7:00pm with opportunity to socialize and re-connect before departing.
    Please feel free to let any expectant momma you may know about this awesome opportunity!
    Here are some reasons couples choose labour support for their birth experiences:
    Medical Benefits of Hiring a Doula
    Numerous studies in the last 25 years have clearly demonstrated the value of a birth doula during the process of childbirth. Some of the evidence has shown that fewer mothers ask for medication or require medical intervention such as the use of pitocin to induce or speed up labor. Mothers who use doulas are more likely to have shorter labors and fewer cesareans compared to mothers who did not have a doula. Mothers also tend to breastfeed their babies longer and have a more satisfying birth experience if they have used a doula. In fact, a recent survey indicated that mothers gave the doulas the "highest rating" for the best supportive care over any other member of the birth team including nurses, doctors and
    nurse-midwives.
    Parents can have many reasons for hiring a doula that may or may not have anything to do with the research results. Here are a host of reasons parents may want to use a doula.
    Other Reasons Parents hire a Doula:
    - A desire for additional support during labor, with or without a primary labor partner.
    - A history of a previous long or challenging birth.
    - Greater access to non-pharmacologic methods of pain relief.
    - Mothers with special needs such as those planning a VBAC, single mothers or those who cannot use pain medications such as an epidural.
    - For additional help with breastfeeding techniques and postpartum support after birth.
    - To assist parents in having a natural or unmedicated childbirth.

How Doula Support is Unique
    A common misconception is that the labor and delivery nurse with be providing the same type of support
    as the doula. Parents believe that the nurse will be there with them continuously and help them with pain relief techniques. The reality is that the typical labor and delivery nurse in the hospital has multiple patients.
    She is required to keep extensive records on all of her patients at the same time. In fact, one study
    showed that only about 10% of the nurse's time was spent supporting the laboring woman with her
    physical or emotional needs.
    Doulas do not work in shifts or have multiple patients. They care for the individual needs of the mother
    and stay with her until the baby is born. Not only that, but the birth doula is not a stranger to the mother and therefore she can act as a familiar guide through the long and often challenging hours of labor.

Hope to see lots of bumps on Monday evening!
    Please call with any questions: 519.631.6461
    The Vesta Centre
    42014 Ferguson Line, R.R.#6 St. Thomas N5P 3T1
    www.vestacentre.ca
    Shawn
    Vesta Chick & Mompreneur Extrodinaire
    www.vestaparenting.ca
    Join the Vesta Parenting or Vesta Shop facebook page, it's mighty good

i just wanted to let you know i think this is an awesome idea. i think every mom should have a doula! and what a great way to do your research and find the right doula.
    cool. very cool.
    Looking for a comfortable, beautiful, inexpensive, locally made ring sling to carry your little one???
    Try mine!
    My Zen Baby Slings: Parenting By the Heart
    www.myzenbaby.com
    Check out all our new Spring/Summer fabrics!

Awesome, isn't it? Spread the word
    Every first Monday of the month!
    Shawn
    Vesta Chick & Mompreneur Extrodinaire
    www.vestaparenting.ca
    Join the Vesta Parenting or Vesta Shop facebook page, it's mighty good

Every month!
    That is awesome
    I'll tell all my friends with bumps!
    Looking for a comfortable, beautiful, inexpensive, locally made ring sling to carry your little one???
    Try mine!
    My Zen Baby Slings: Parenting By the Heart
    www.myzenbaby.com
    Check out all our new Spring/Summer fabrics!