Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! Mommy2Cuties's Avatar

Default What education is required to become an accountant?

On top of many ideas my DH has - accounting has always been on his list of "likes".

Just wondering what the education requirement is for him to pursue this career. I know that fanshawe has a business admin-accounting program that is 2 or 3 years long.

Would that program get him a decent job in the field? I also heard that you can go and get certified and get degrees and everything but is that really REQUIRED? I have heard that some firms will hire you on and eventually help you upgrade to certification.

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks so much!
    I stole Turtle's Lollipop! xoxo

Nicole, mama to Miss A (April 2005), Miss K (Sept 2007), Angel Baby (August 2008), and Baby A (June 2009)

Expert Forum User

Hi there,

There are tons of different directions you can go in with an accounting background and because of this there are lots of different types of education requirements.

Very briefly ....

You don't have to have a set of letters, but you do need an apptitude and in a tight job market education only helps. There are 3 different types of accounting certifications in Canada - a CGA, a CMA and a CA. All now require a university degree plus post graduate course work (although different types and different lengths depending on which certification you choose). Each certification is recognized throughout Canada and in some cases throughout the world.

All three types can work in any type of industry or with a public firm. If you're interested in working in industry you'll have the opportunity to be involved in lots of analysis, tracking and monitoring results as well as planning. The large majority of accountants with certification don't do much regular bookkeeping for long -- instead they tend to monitor and establish the systems of getting the bookkeeping done. The hours can be long and there can be pressure --- but that's offset in part by good opportunities and creative compensation packages.

The process of training and education in accounting more than anything develops great skills in analysis, decision making, and understanding the flow of how things work through a business. I'm not gonna' sugar coat it -- the process can be hard, expensive and time consuming but it also offers TONS of opportunities, flexibility, and rewards that benefit you and your family.

Here's a link to each of the three to get you started in the process of looking at what you may want to pursue:

CA process:
    Qualification Process

CMA process:
    Steps to becoming a CMA

CGA process:
    CGA eCareerMap - Your Path to Becoming a CGA

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! Mommy2Cuties's Avatar

Thank you so much!
    I stole Turtle's Lollipop! xoxo

Nicole, mama to Miss A (April 2005), Miss K (Sept 2007), Angel Baby (August 2008), and Baby A (June 2009)