Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default I need a cat expert!

So my cat is now peeing in my son's dirty clothes, in my room and under the stairs in the basement. He's also recently started pooping in my son's room or in the corner in the basement. I had changed the location of his litter box but as soon as he started peeing on things, I moved it back. He's been acting very strange in the fact he's doing things he never used to. The only thing that's changed is I have bought purina one for indoor cats the last 2x because wal-mart was out of the iams indoor cat. What could be his problem? I've changed the litter again, but what do I do if he still pees and poops on the floor with fresh litter. Do I just go buy iams somewhere and pray this fixes it. Help!! DP is threatening to get rid of him. The reason we got him was because he was peeing on his old family's floor after they had a baby.

hmmm. sounds like jealousy or kidney problems
    especially with the change in food, i'd chalk it up to kidney issues.
    try switching foods back for a while and see if it mends itself?
    if not, id say he goes
    A son can charm himself into (and out of) most things

something that has changed recently is bothering him and you'll need to figure out what that is - he does not agree with the change and that is his way of letting you know.

how old is he? did your son change rooms? you mentioned you moved his litter box - possibly that is what it was but you've moved it back... i would get him back on the food he is familiar with. I have not heard good things about the purina brand.

if you get rid of him, chances are the next owners will have the same problem and will then want to get rid of him, and then he is switched to another home. Do you want that for your cat? I do not think it is fair to automatically get rid of him b/c of this problem. I would try and figure out desperately what is causing this behaviour change.

maybe buy him some iams canned food (assuming he is just on dry) and show him attention that way.

if nothing helps, i would consult with a vet.

Expert Forum User

I agree with aloha_mom...cats LOVE wet food, if you feed them that he may just use the toilet

My grand parents cat was peeing in other places other then the litter box and ended up getting taken to the vet and he had like crystals or something so he had to be put on special food.

April 14, 2001-May 05, 2001
    April 29, 2015

Quote Originally Posted by mhuigenbos View Post
    I agree with aloha_mom...cats LOVE wet food, if you feed them that he may just use the toilet
    My cat wont eat wet food. I agree if there are any changes in the house. My cat doesnt do change very well. One time when we moved we had a cat out of control. She was attacking people and not using her litter box. Things changed after a bit and she was back to normal.

Expert Forum User

it doesn't sound like crystal because he/she would clearly be in pain, when my cat had those we had to lock him in the bathroom because he couldn't control it...this just sounds like a case of being pissed off to me

Expert Forum User

No, I don't want to get rid of him. Please don't misunderstand me. I want him and I don't want to transfer him from home to home. My husband doesn't want to deal. I think I'll buy more iams and see if that helps. Other then that, Nothing has really changed. He didn't used to do this in the apartment. We moved back in July 2008, and he just started doing this around the beginning of April. I've moved the litterbox back and it's the same litter as before. I've tried him on wet food and he turns his nose up at it. He will drink tuna water though. Won't eat the meat, just drink the water. Maybe I'll go and buy dh some tuna and drain the water for Charlie. It makes me sad that I can't figure out what his issue is.

Expert Forum User

Males tend to 'mark there territory' in Spring. Even being fixed and indoors it is common practice since he is hearing/seeing/smelling the other cats around.

That said I have no clue how to help...possibly call the vet and see if they have suggestions.
    A by the book mama to a completley healthy DD Dec.2002 and doing it all different, BWng, CDing, BLWing, crunchy mama to an equally healthy DS Nov.2008 apparently a cosleeping mama DS Aug. 2011

if you can't figure it out i would see a vet, watch his urine also, if it severely decreases he could be blocked or if he's peeing just small amounts. is there any blood? this is their way of definitely telling you something's up!

Expert Forum User

Poor Charlie
    “A mother's love is patient and forgiving when all others are forsaking,
    it never fails or falters, even though the heart is breaking”- Helen Rice

Expert Forum User

You know, I just had a eureka moment in the shower. I moved the air hockey table from my son's bedroom window! I bet you he was getting up into the window to look outside. That's why he was only pooping in my son's room. LOL. I'm going to move it back to see if that stops it.

I have two cats. From experience, cats that pee in odd places could be chalked up to behavioural or perhaps he has a urinary tract infection? A simple antibiotic from the vet would eliminate the UTI. Otherwise, grrrr Kitty.
    Also, if your Kitty has been drinking HUGE amounts of water lately and has REALLY stinky breath (like I mean hot garbage) and peeing all over its likely a sign of a kidney failure. Blood tests from the vet to check his levels would help this.
    I hope your kitty gets better. The smell of cat pee drives me crazy!

Expert Forum User

Well, I changed his food back, but it seems like he hasn't ate any of it I haven't checked the boy's room yet today, so we'll see. I've moved everything back ot normal now, so hopefully this will be the last we hear of it.

If it is possible to put some dry food in a dish where your cat is peeing he will not pee/poop where food is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast