Default baby in need of donor breast milk

Our 7 mth old baby girl was unable to breast feed due to undiagnosed reflux disease and other unfortunate circumstances, and was placed full time on formula. She subsequently developed an aversion to eating secondary to an intolerance to the formula and severe gastroesophageal reflux disease. To make matters worse she was a given a med to help and she had a serious adverse neurological reaction which does not allow her to safely eat solids. We have tried many different formulas however the most hypoallergenic is the least palatable and according to the gastroenterologist, it tastes like dead fish. Breast milk would be the most beneficial to her as it is hypoallergenic, highly digestible and would provide many nutrients that would help heal her intestine and perhaps if she is not so allergic, she wouldn't have such an aversion to eating.

We have looked into milk banks however, there is only one in Vancouver and they do not provide milk out of province. We are looking for a mother/mother's who might be willing to donate some milk. This is not a commitment and the needs of the donating mothers child always comes first. Whatever you may have would be beneficial. However, we do wish to follow the guidlines of the milk bank for safety. Any mother who is willing to donate would be asked to do a blood test with their physician to ensure safety of the breast milk. We would also pasteurize the milk the same way the milk banks do. In addition, we would be looking for a mother who is not on any medications. Please realize that you can change your mind at anytime for any reason and we would not be offended. If you have any questions, please email me or call me directly at 519-681-6624 Joanne. You can also get more information about being a donor through the milk banking organization of North America.

Just wanted to say that I hope you find what you are looking for, I wish I was in the postiotn to help you. Best of luck in your search. I can't immagine what you are going through right now. Did you try soy formula?

MBM
    Formerly Mega Baby Mom:
    Mother of 2 boys born May 2004 and September 2006!

"I don't pretend to have all the answers. I don't pretend to even know what the questions are. Hey, where am I?"
    ~ Jack Handey

Have you tried any formulas from the states. My son also has GERD and thankfully he has improved on 2 different meds and adjusting formulas that are available here. I find this website useful and they might have suggestions for you for alternate formulas www.infantrefluxdisease.com

I know the hypoallergenic one here is awful, I tried to feed it to Carter and I could not stand the smell when I made it so I knew there was no way her would eat it. In the states they use a formula called Neocate and I assume there are others. Might be worthwhile to check out.

I PM'd you.

Default formulas

we tried allimentum which is hypoallergenic. i gagged when i opened the can. she ate it reluctantly however at that time she was only 4.5 months old and their taste buds are not as finicky. i think it might of benefit her allergy because her eczema improved however her pain and discomfort from the reflux worsened. she was writhing and arching so bad at night we thought she was having seizures. fortunately when we dc'd it, she was alittle more comfortable. i spoke to my friend who has adult reflux and she said it might have the high sugar in the formula. it also gave her green bile bowel movements and explosive gas which would make her cry out in pain. we tried to give it to her recently and she wouldn't take it.
    i asked her GI about neocate and he says it tastes like " dead fish in the garbage x 1 week" it is also $50 for a 400g container 3-4 days worth.

we tried soy which she also had taste issues with, but it made her very constipated. we tried giving her prunes and she just ended up with prune coloured little balls as BMs. constipation made her reflux worse because of the constant straining she does all day, which makes her want to eat less and less food meant more constipation.....

we even paid $200 to get goat milk formula shipped from UK. just as eczematous as the cow milk and more constipating than soy-anal fissures..very painful.

thanks for all your suggestions and support. i really appreciate it

Default baby

Wow, it's already challenging and nerve wracking to be a new mom to a newborn but adding the reflux complications, I can't imagine. Our son had problems with gas, lot's of crying/pain but your situation is so much worse. I feel for you and your little one, I can only hope things get better soon.

We had our little guy on soy before they realized his problems were not lactose intolerance but GERD. Now on prevacid and ranitidine for the GERD, thickened enfamil to help reduce spitting up. For the constipation he in on flaxseed oil once a day in his bottle and have added milk of mag daily as needed....that worked today !!! poor guy is only 4 1/2 months old.