Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default What's the deal with VV?

Is it just me or are their prices thru the roof lately? omg. And now they have different tags. it seems like everything is like a third more than it was 6 months ago. And suddenly I'm not scoring much in the way of mama clothing there at all. Altho I did get a bra today. And a hat and Loonette doll for the kiddo, but the doll was $5!
    LondonMoms has really gone downhill, ever since they started chit chatting in the home and garden forum. There is a place for chit chat, people!!!

yup... not worth the drive for me anymore.. I can do way better with a sale on "new" stuff or even ebay or ohh talize I had decent luck there.
    Heather.

Push button. Receive bacon.

Expert Forum User

I haven't shopped there in years, but my mother in law has told me about the cost of some of the things she has bought there and I also find I have paid less for things on sale/clearance at other stores. I have bought many pairs of pants/jeans at Old Navy for $10 in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by bikruca
    yup... not worth the drive for me anymore.. I can do way better with a sale on "new" stuff or even ebay or ohh talize I had decent luck there.
    I haven't had luck at Talize in ages either. Over a year ago I had a major SCORE... several nursing bras and several very beautiful and unique looking plus size hippie mama tops. AWESOME stuff. And then... nothing. I don't think I've found any clothes for me since then, and that was when I started school so April 2006.

Still lots of good kids' stuff tho.
    LondonMoms has really gone downhill, ever since they started chit chatting in the home and garden forum. There is a place for chit chat, people!!!

Expert Forum User

I have been hearing that the prices are $$$$. I don't understand it. That is why I no longer donate to them and take everything to Goodwill now. And I agree, if you happen to hit a sale on "new" stuff at the right time it can almost be cheaper. I found that out at OUAC- Needed a couple of things for DS end of season, so thought they would be the best bet. Turned out that ON had better prices clearing out the season for the new season.
    Stop the insanity I say

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

I really think that VV is shooting itself in the foot here. Most people who shop at VV are the kind of people who are looking for a deal and they are going to lose a lot of customers. These customers are also going to question why they GIVE away their things to a business that tries to rip them off on things that they have gotten for free. I think people are going to stop shopping there, and they are going to stop donating to them. The short-term gain is probably not going to be worth it for VV.

I recently realized that I was giving away my things to a corporation for by donating to VV. Not only that, but in doing so, I was taking away from potential profits for charities like Goodwill, AND I was making these items that I was donating less accessible for those with low incomes. And I thought, what the heck am I doing? So now I donate and shop at Goodwill, and sometimes Talize. Even though Talize is also a business rather than a charity, at least it's not a huge chain store like VV is.

I think the reason they switched the tag systems is that people were unstapling price tags and switching them to get themselves better deals.

Quote Originally Posted by mamabear

I think the reason they switched the tag systems is that people were unstapling price tags and switching them to get themselves better deals.
    No! Who would do such a thing!

And yeah, good point about the corporation thing. My roomie quizzed them once as they say they 'donate a percentage of profits to charity.' Turns out workers are not allowed to disclose how much exactly to customers. 1%?

Goodwill is a WAY better choice. Unfortunately they don't have great stuff anymore. We should start a donate to Goodwill not the corporations! movement.

Old East, in my garden. Behind the purple door.

As for their prices going up, on May 22 (next Tuesday) they are having their 50% off sale.
    Lindsay
    YouSupporting You On Your Journey From Belly 2 Baby www.bellies2babies.com
    Emillia - Midwife Hospital Birth Jan 2006, Nursed 26 months.
    Terran - Midwife Home Waterbirth Aug 2008. Nursed 14 months.
    Ryker - Midwife Home Waterbirth April 2010. Yes, I am still nursing!

I refuse to shop at VV now because a few years back a friend of mine left her husband due to a abusive relationship, and she need some things for her kids, so she went to VV in search for some help and they laughed at her and told her they weren't a charity?! I was so shocked! Isn't EVERYTHING donated?! I now refuse and give it all to Goodwill, as they are the people who ended up helping her in the end!

Quote Originally Posted by miasmom
    Isn't EVERYTHING donated?!
    No. VV gets a lot of their merchandise from charities. Charities collect donated items (during fundraisers etc.), and sell the stuff to VV at a bulk rate. VV then reselles them individually at higher rates.

FWIW, I believe the % VV donates (at least as of last year) was 5% of profits. Don't quote me on it though. I just seem to vaguely recollect that figure. Still not much for a co. that plays up the donated money in advertising.
    Mama to two
    Etsy store: Merry Medley