Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Child support question

So my friend has left her husband..and she says that the amount he would owe her for child support a month is 2000, however she feels bad for leaving him and has told him that she will only make hik give her 1000.

is she being crazy becuase she feels guilty, or do you think its right shes only taking half the amount of child support.

Shes a single mom with 3 kids, moved back to ontario with nothing but their clothes. She has no job, and no home. I think she should take all the money she can from him..they are his kids too. Plus i dont think she should feel guilty at all..he makes 6 thousand a month, i really dont think he'll starve to death..a single man with 4 thousand a month. Plus even though she left him..he has all the stuff, the car..everything. plus he cheated on her several times during their 10 year marriage ( amont many other major iissues)

its not my palce to tell her what to do, i told her my opinion when she asked..however I am just curious if i am the only one who thinks she should accept the whole amount of support.
    jennifer mommy to 4 amazing kids!

2000/month? Wild. I wanna get knocked up by that guy - LOL! I don't know. I mean, they say that the child support is for the children and you are shortchanging them by not taking all of it blahblah. But I have accepted less than table amount when my income has been comparable to his so... if the kids have their needs met I think whatever works for you. If you are living in poverty and he is coercing you to reduce the amount that is a different story. But with amounts like that I am guessing she is probably okay? Depends entirely on her own financial resources.

eta - Sorry I'm tired. No job, no home? And I'm assuming he has one and is making huge money for such a high amount of child support. Yeah I think she should take it, at least until she is established and then decide. I would keep taking it as long as my own income was less than his, and even if hers exceeds his she has every *right* to take it but I don't think she is doing anyone a disservice if she declines in that instance.
    LondonMoms has really gone downhill, ever since they started chit chatting in the home and garden forum. There is a place for chit chat, people!!!

If she doesn't need it to support htem, she can put it into their bank accounts for future needs.

If he's making six grand, has the house and cars etc to sell off should he come short of cash, I don't see why she shouldn't get what's entitled to her if she has FOUR people to support and he has just one.

I do realise sometimes the charts they use are silly unfair, but then again - that's three kids, only a third of his income - surely the man will get by and like I said, if she doesn't need all that, maybe one day they will see a bit of it this way. Maybe even set it aside for when thye fly home to visit him or whatnot, kwim?

She could always change her mind later, when she's back on her feet.

honestly 1000$ for 3 kids will not get her far untill she at least gets a decent job I would take the whole thing

Expert Forum User

Not only do I think she should take the $2000, I personally think she should be hitting him up for alimony. Sounds like her kids will not be sleeping on the floor of a bachelor/studio apt when they visit him... if she takes the money. JMHO.
    www.southhilldesigns.com/carolwood
    www.facebook.com/charms2last.carolwood

The devil on my left shoulder wants me to reply, but the angel on my right shoulder is screaming: filter.....FILTER! - unknown

He obviously makes VERY good money to be paying that much! (i'm talking 111K per year, I just checked the guidelines). He can QUITE comfortably afford the 2000 I'd say. She should put it in an account if she doesn't need it at THIS moment. You've also mentioned she doesn't have a job, etc. She should look into further training, etc. If she didn't have a job in the marriage, he's looking at alimony payments ON TOP of the 2000.

Being generous doesn't help the kids. The guideline supports are in place to ensure that the kids live the SAME STANDARD of living as they did when they were married (as evident by his income, that's why he has to pay a high amount).

She should take all of it, it is what the courts would order anyways.

Expert Forum User

She should have him buy her out of her half of the house, cars, anything that is an asset. She is entitled to this, plus the full support and alimony.

thank you. i dont feel so crazy for thinking she should at least go for the full amount of child support.

She was working, and making good money before she had her 3rd child. however her 3rd is a special needs child and she chose not to work after she was born, they moved to to alberta so they could afford for her to stay home.

now shes living with her mom untill she gets on her feet, who is crazy (to put it midly)..and shes having a very hard time living there.

if she took the money she could get out of there much quicker which would be healthier for her and the kids..plus she wouldnt have to work full time, and could be there for her speical needs child.

if there original parenting was that she stay home for her special needs kid she can alimony in order to continue doing so.

Also one thing I would worry about if I were her is that she is up and left the province unless she has it in writing that he allowed her to do it could haunt her esp for the special needs kiddo becasue you have to be here for 3 months before ohip kicks in and that rule is for all people

"OHIP coverage normally becomes effective three months after the date you establish residency in Ontario"

taken from

MOHLTC - Public Information - Ontario Health Insurance (OHIP)

Expert Forum User

Since she has a special needs child, his child support actually goes up. Because this child needs more things and support.

Banned

She needs to take the child support and if she has any left over she can put it into savings for her children

So i went and saw her today (in windsor)...hes being a huge ass so she has decided to take the full amount (although he has it in his head that he doesnt have to pay for 3 months so he hasnt yet).

anyways I really doubt taking them out of province will be an issue, hes not going to fight it, he wont even call his kids since she left, plus he did say she could go in the first place, i believe in writing yes..plus even if he wanted the kdis (which he doenst, he knows hes not able to care for them) with his track record i doubt anyone would give them to him.

Shes already taking the speical needs child to the hospital, so it doenst seem to be a problem with ohip. maybe its becuase they were born in ontario and havnt been in alberta for all that long. i would have to ask her to know for sure though.

She is starting a new life here and being a single parent of 3 kids..heck ya.. take the full amount of child support. SHe can use it for a payment on a home, food, clothing etc.. rent until she gets on her feet... $2000 a month won't go far once rent, food, bills etc start coming in.. you should tell her to look into subsidy housing.... with kids.. she should be bumped to the top of the list.. that way it is geared to income.. and she can focus on saving to get a place etc.... and heck ya.. go for alimony.... and make sure she gets the child tax credit etc.. in her name sent here at her addy..... asap.

take care

I'm sure the child is covered medically, even it is using AB out-of-province health care until they are settled here (our hospital will just bill with the AB health card, and payment will be settled).

I hope everything goes well.

As far as I see, and as others have stated, she is entitled to half the assets, AND possibly alimony as she was a stay-at-home mom in the marriage (at that time) to care for the newest child, a decision that was made on both her and her husband's behalf I'm sure.

thanks for the advice and what not everyone..

however it doesnt seem to matter..shes going back to Edmonton, possibly back to him after all.