Expert Forum User

Default Oakridge Hidden Gems?

We moved to Oakridge last July and we did not get out too much in the neighbourhood because we spent most of the summer trying to get the house in order.

So where does everyone go? Is there some favourite places in the area? We have been to Remark and really like it there, I just discovered Ungers the other day (yes, I know it's Hyde Park but so close).

Is there a community centre, pool, splash pad nearby? What do you do with your kids in the neighbourhood? Also is their a weekend that Oakridge has a garage sale, I know some neighbourhoods do this?

What are the places that you love to go in the Oakridge, Byron, Hyde Park area?

TIA,

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I'm in Oakridge. Not sure which area you are in.... we are in old oakridge I guess it's called. The arena on Valeta has a wading pool but not a splash pad. There is also a small playground. We spend a lot of time skating there in the winter. There is also an outdoor pool located there.

Dunedin usually has a street Garage sale, I just can't remember when. As for other streets I am not too sure. That just the one I am closest too.

Welcome to the neighbourhood!!! You'll love it here!!!
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User

Just had to say that I love Ungers, we went a few months ago and have been addicted ever since.

What is Unger's?

Quote Originally Posted by dls948 View Post
    What is Unger's?
    The BEST little market ever!! It's in Hyde Park..turn right on Gainsborough ( from Hyde Park Road ) going towards Wonderland....it's on the right hand side. Can't say enough good things...especially their baked goods and their "take out" foods.....

As for other things close by, The Sifton Bog is always a nice walk. There used to be an ice cream shop in Byron, not sure if it is still there.......

Expert Forum User

I love Unger's. It can be pricey, but it always has local stuff in season. There is a OEYC in Ilderton, which is just north of hyde park (good for the winter when you want to get out of the house).

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I used to work at Ungers! lol, I was the cashier and made the sandwiches (years and years ago and only for 6 months). I prefer Remark, love it, go there all the time!

I live in the 'Hunt Club' area of 'Oakridge' I guess it's called. It's great to be close to Spingbank park (has a little kiddy pool) and Storybook Garden's (also has a cool water area) I used to swim at Oakridge arena pool all summer and skate there in the winter.
    I like Cafe Milagro and JJ's Bistro in Byron and Byron Pizza is the BEST! The library in Byron is also really cute. Sifton Bog is a nice place for a hike and there are lots of playgrounds and mini parks around.

Welcome to the area, I love it here!
    Last edited by newmum2; 04-18-2009 at 10:55 AM.

Expert Forum User

We live in Huntington area (I think it's call that?).

We will definitely have to walk through the Bog, we drove by it and it is on DH's list of things to do.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by twinmommy View Post
    We live in Huntington area (I think it's call that?).
    Down the street, Crabby Joe's is a great place to eat (and kids are free one day, I can't remember what one) and Taika Sushi is the BEST sushi in London, IMO and thats just next to McDonalds.

We're also in Oakridge-the older part as well (Oakridge Acres). We love it it here too! Can't wait to try the wading pool this summer, and there's lots of little playgrounds around here. Everyone else pretty much listed everything else.

Oh, and Crabby Joes's is kids eat free on Sundays, and they also have a sunday brunch from 9-2 on Sundays that's pretty good.
    Mama to TWO little sweetie pies!!