Expert Forum User

Default Okay, now her poo is green....

DD still has a bit of a stuffy nose, mostly after she's been sleeping. she doesn't seem to be taking her usual amount in feeds, but she's eating frequently.....almost every hour or so (i just keep offering to keep her from getting dehydrated)

stools are still VERY watery......but she hasn't leaked out of any diapers today, so not as much volume, lol. probably 4 or 5 poopy diapers. now the poo is green liquid though!!! does that mean it's a virus??

still no fever....not as much urine in her diapers as usual (so not 'heavy wet'), but still wet. so i just offer feeds as often as she'll take them....no spit ups today which is good. poor little thing she's acting normal though......

is this still okay??
    "My mind is going a mile an hour."

When my DD was born I had an excessive amount of milk. She wouldn't nurse for very long, but wanted to nurse frequently. Consequently, she was always getting foremilk, and not enough hindmilk. Instead of typical yellow/seedy poop it was very green. I started feeding her twice in a row on the same side and encouraging longer feeds with some breast compressions etc.
    My midwife said this is very normal for exclusively BF's babies with mom's with a large milk supply. I found by 3mos my supply had levelled out and was more appropriate to what she needed.
    Good luck! It might be worth speaking to a lactation consultant---very helpful to me in the beginning and answered all of my questions.

is she getting enough iron, not sure though but i thought an iron deficiency lead to green poop. don't want to scare you as i don't know for sure.....

Expert Forum User

If she's nursing frequently and congested maybe she is only nursing long enough to hold off for awhile and getting only the foremilk? I would guess this is the most likely option in your case, in our case DD had green poop b/c of food allergies and DS has followed the same pattern only he also spits up mucous, projectile vomits, and has mucous in his poop as well so if the green poop is the only sign I would guess foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. I hope your DD feels better soon!
    Alicia
    Mommy to Summer, Avery, and Bentley

Expert Forum User

thanks so much for your help!

until recently, i had been feeding from the same side for one feed and part of the next before switching. in the past couple of weeks, she was seeming to empty one side per feed...

this week, when she has had the frequent feedings...(like a few times or more in a 2 hour period), i've been offering the same side for at least 2 or 3 times in a row. i don't know if that 's enough to balance out the fore/hindmilk?

she was having one or two BIG spit ups a day over the past few days....it seemed mucousy, but i figured that was from the cold/stuffy nose??

geez....we were cruising along really nicely for the past month, but this week has had me all paranoid again, lol. she had weight gain issues in the beginning, so i'm overly paranoid!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by allie193 View Post
    If she's nursing frequently and congested maybe she is only nursing long enough to hold off for awhile and getting only the foremilk? I would guess this is the most likely option in your case, in our case DD had green poop b/c of food allergies and DS has followed the same pattern only he also spits up mucous, projectile vomits, and has mucous in his poop as well so if the green poop is the only sign I would guess foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. I hope your DD feels better soon!

did the food allergies cause nose congestion too? she's had a few big vomits this week...no more than twice a day. i assumed all of this stuff was virus-related. would it be allergy related possibly??

Milk protien intolerance or milk allergies tend to pop up around 2-4 months I believe.

Expert Forum User

Actually both my kids have been quite congested with their allergies so that could be a possible cause, at his worst DS was so congested he was choking on mucous sometimes. DS also gets eczema, little red dots usually when I slip but can get full dry skin and everything with it when I have a lot of something I shouldn't (so before the elimination diet). He's also been fussy and gassy, I can't wait for the milk to get out of our systems and am afraid to try anything else at this point. I hope you figure out if it is just a virus or something else for your DD soon, it's not fun to worry and stress about what is causing symptoms.
    Alicia
    Mommy to Summer, Avery, and Bentley

Banned

My MIL is a retired nurse and she told me that green poop while sick is the virus passing; to clean it away quickly and naturally a thorough hand washing afterwards to keep the virus from spreading. When it would happen to my girls I'd either put the CD directly into the washer after rinsing or the disposable directly into the garbage bin outside. I'd have pretty good success at getting viruses out of our home, *fingers crossed*. When my girls started showing the severity of their lactose intolerance their poop was yellowy diarrhea, not green......sorry for the TMI and they didn't get green poops from the little bit of breast milk I was able to give them.