Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default Where to get alligator clips for your hair?

I really love the clips that Ladybugs & Lullabies makes (Blossom Collection - Alligator Clip) and I would love to find a place in London that sells just the metal clip. I have a TON of ribbon and would like to make my own.

I've been to Michaels and LensMills and neither of them carry the hardware. Any ideas?
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!

No idea, but maybe a beauty supply place?

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

DH just picked some up today at that beauty supply store on Oxford at Wharncliffe. Can't remember what it's called though. I think he said it was the last box, could be wrong, but he talked to the lady there and she said she would order in whatever he wanted. We got the kinda mini ones, if that makes sense, they're smaller than the normal ones, and I looked closely at my Maddiebells clips (like the ones you posted, different brand) and they are the same size and style as the ones I bought. I got a box for $11, I counted 80 clips in it.

I was *just* looking up tutorials, and this looks like a really good one and the pics will give you a good idea of what to look for.
    Hair Clip Tutorial|The Green Wife
    Last edited by mamabear; 04-11-2009 at 04:04 PM.

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I bought mine at Sally Beauty Supply in Port Huron. They were $4.99 for a box of 100. hat being said though they are still in the box and the ribbon is still sitting there because I tried and mine do not look pretty - lol. I have been trying to convince my very crafty SIL to take ALL my stuff ... I figured if I gave her everything for free then maybe she could just make me some in return while she did up some for her daughters - lol.
    Help my Kaitlyn reach her goal of selling 100 boxes of Chocolate Mint Girl Guide cookies. $5 each and we dliver. PM me

http://dawnfitzgerald.myepicure.com/
    But message me directly to order or book and I can get you a special LM deal

Expert Forum User

Yeah! Thank you so much for that info & the tutorial! I'm going on the hunt this Tuesday & I'm going to hit all of the beauty supply stores.
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!

Some instructions

Free Hair Bow Instructions: hairbow free directions, hair bow business work at home

There are a lot of instructions on this forum too.

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/forums/

I bought some at The Hobby Lobby in Port Huron. They are the standard size and were 25 for 0.99

Hey there - I'm "Maddiebells" .
    I purchase mine from OH MY Ribbons and Bows! headbands for hairbows, ribbon for hairbows. I use the single prong clips, but you can get the double prong clips from her also. The double prong are a bit longer and I find them a little more difficult to work with. The clips themselves aren't that expensive, but it all adds up if you plan to make a lot of different clips (different if you already have all the ribbon though). Let me know if you have any questions.

FYI - I was at Michaels in the south end tonight (it's a much bigger store) and they are now carrying hair clip supplies! You could get a package of 8 single prong clips (they were a bit longer than the ones I use) for about $3.50. They also have hair bands, hair elastics, french clips, bobby pins etc. It's all in ribbon aisle. Also, Alesha, if you're looking specifically for those ribbons that Ladybugs and Lullabies is using on those clips, they're all American Crafts ribbons (my fave).

I get mine from either sallys in st thomas.. or K laba on wellington

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn'sMommy View Post
    I bought mine at Sally Beauty Supply in Port Huron. They were $4.99 for a box of 100. hat being said though they are still in the box and the ribbon is still sitting there because I tried and mine do not look pretty - lol. I have been trying to convince my very crafty SIL to take ALL my stuff ... I figured if I gave her everything for free then maybe she could just make me some in return while she did up some for her daughters - lol.
    if she doesn't want to take them all I wouldn't mind playing around with a few of them... if I come up with anything good - it would find it's way back to you...

Expert Forum User

For those of you who make clippies, what kind of glue do you use...crazy glue, hot glue gun?? I've tried to make a few and some were ok and others sucked big time. I'm wondering if it was the glue, the ribbon, or me...???

Quote Originally Posted by teacher_mom View Post
    For those of you who make clippies, what kind of glue do you use...crazy glue, hot glue gun?? I've tried to make a few and some were ok and others sucked big time. I'm wondering if it was the glue, the ribbon, or me...???
    Don't use glue. It will be lumpy and look messy. I use double sided scrapbooking tape (terrifically tacky tape from Michaels or scor-tape from Scrappin great deals). Line your piece of ribbon, pull of the back side and then run it along your clip. Hope that helps

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by shawlo View Post
    Don't use glue. It will be lumpy and look messy. I use double sided scrapbooking tape (terrifically tacky tape from Michaels or scor-tape from Scrappin great deals). Line your piece of ribbon, pull of the back side and then run it along your clip. Hope that helps
    You are my hero!!!
    Ok, so maybe I didn't buy the 'right' double sided scrapbook tape (it's a touch too wide) but I just made one darling little clippy that doesn't look ANYTHING like my previous flops. I am so happy! Thanks for the advice!
    Oh, and I made it on a two prong alligator clip, so I imagine it would be EVEN better on a single pronged one...can't wait to get my hands on some of those!!!

Expert Forum User

Oh, and for those of you looking for double prong alligator clips, they have boxes of 100 on sale at Sally Beauty Supply (thanks for the name, Amandaflowers) in St.Thomas for $6.09 (that includes taxes).

Use 1/4" tape, sorry I remember thinking I should add that in and I guess I forgot. I prefer using the single pronged clips, Sally Beauty Supply sells those too. (it's fun isn't it?!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast