Thread: Work situation

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Work situation

Ok, the anon thread got me remembering I wanted to ask for opinions/ideas. I've worked at this firm for 13 years (small firm, no rulebook kind of place) and always I have been under the impression that you have to make up time for any appointments. Needless to say, with three pregnancies I have done a lot of making up of time! Well we just found out that the receptionist, who has been here I think 2 1/2-3 years does not have to make up time for her medical appointments. This kind of ticks me off since I'm always either banking overtime to use or record time I owe him and will work for free when needed.

So would you do anything in this situation? Should I talk to my boss or just leave it alone? I leave in two weeks anyway to start my leave, but just thought I'd see what the LMs would do.
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

I wouldn't say anything.
    maybe casually finding out if she's paid hourly wage or salary, then move from there if you still feel irked.
    obviously if she's hourly, she'd have no reason to 'make up' missed time.
    salary, another story.

also note you said you were under the 'impression'. If something's not expressed, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

on a side note, I'm sure you'll enjoy mat leave!
    A son can charm himself into (and out of) most things

Problem is there are no policies with this firm, no set sick time or anything. Two of my co-workers were surprised and ticked off since they make up their time too, but the other one wasn't so concerned since she seems to have an agreement with her boss about appointments. Usually my direct boss is the "managing partner" which is why I'm a little annoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by aidensmom View Post
    Problem is there are no policies with this firm, no set sick time or anything. Two of my co-workers were surprised and ticked off since they make up their time too, but the other one wasn't so concerned since she seems to have an agreement with her boss about appointments. Usually my direct boss is the "managing partner" which is why I'm a little annoyed.
    toughy.
    unfortunately, because there are no set policies, i would assume it'd be open to discussion, but simply saying i want ___ because someone else has ____ wouldn't look great on you.

bringing it up as a personal request, aside from outside influence would help your case.
    A son can charm himself into (and out of) most things

Expert Forum User

I wouldn't say anything. I feel I have a similar situation at work. I brought it up to my boss and it was not percieved well. I now think he thinks of me as a complainer/whiner. It may not be fair but hopefully your boss will reconize your integrity.

Expert Forum User

Assumptions can be dangerous...
    If you weren't sure about the appointment make-up situation, you should have asked.

as someone else suggested, it could just be hourly vs. salary...

Expert Forum User

It could be that the person has already talked with management and made arrangements regarding their time off
    A co-worker didn't get how I could take every other Fri. off all summer until she realized I've only ever taken one week of vacation a year - for the last ten years - I arranged with my boss that I take off all PD days, school year holidays, and sick days for my kids, instead of the four weeks vacation I'm entitled to....
    You would look kinda petty if you confronted her or her boss and it turned out she had already made arrangements - KWIM??

Well I probably won't say anything. Maybe she is losing the pay, who knows. I think part of the problem is we don't have any one policy which would be nice. I remember I took one day off sick with ds and was told the next day that they would have to come up with a policy about taking sick leave for kids. We don't have a policy for our own sick leave, but this was an issue? Specially since I think I had taken 2 days sick that year. Oh well, usually its a good place to work, but the lack of a firm wide structure sucks. We also find the person on reception can be pretty demanding and she gets away with it. Guess the rest of us need to step up our demands!!

Expert Forum User

I would leave it and cross that bridge when you come back to work.
    maybe you can 'play dumb' when you come back and set up a meeting with your boss about making up time, kids appts etc.
    for now... leave it, and cross that bridge when you come to it.

A lot can change in the next year. Maybe another worker will do the dirty work and you will go back it all settled. This is probably not the time to make waves yourself. When you are close to going back if it is not sorted out I might sit down with your direct superior and tell them that with the extra child you expect that you will have more appointments etc, and see if you can come to a mutally agreed upon arrangement.. such as making up half the time, taking work home or best of all, you schedule appointments at end of work day and you leave early with no penalty or need to make up time.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! eversoclever's Avatar

There might not be set policies because it's a small firm, but if it's well run you can be sure she's not getting paid for those hours she's missing. When I worked in a small firm like the one you're describing, each secretary had a different set of circumstances that demanded a different set of expectations... One of the girls had kids and needed Fridays off. Another had a health condition that meant she took time off for medical appointments. I had a Canadian boyfriend, so I took a lot of long weekends for travel.

It just depends on what each individual works out with the office manager, and whether or not that agreement meets partner approval. I wouldn't bother to make waves, especially not in the close quarters, yk? There's nowhere to hide in a small office!

My last work had a similar issue. I worked from 8-5 while the other admin staff worked 8:30/9:00-4:30. Yes, I was working an hour to hour and half more per day than the rest of them (we were all salary). One day it really irked me when they all went for after work drinks while I had to sit there for another 30 minutes. I got up and went to my boss’ office and asked why my hours were longer.
    He pointed out that they reported to a different boss. However, he agreed that my job was in the same capacity as the other admin staff and should work the same hours. I could then start leaving at 4pm (still had to be in for 8am) as long as all my work was done and I didn’t need to cover for staff.>>