View Poll Results: How much do you spend monthly on groceries?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • $200-$400

23 28.75%
  • $400-$600

40 50.00%
  • $600-$800

12 15.00%
  • $800-$1000

5 6.25%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Monthly grocery bill

So dh and I have decided we spend too much. We never have anything left so we're looking for practical areas to save money in. I'm going to see if I can get our cable bill lowered, I've cleared my cc with our line of credit so payments are lower. DH questioned keeping the Y membership, but I really want to get to the gym after this baby is born so we're keeping it for now.

The other area I think we spend too much on is groceries. My own fault, I see it, I like it, I buy it. What is a reasonable monthly grocery bill for a family of 4? We're talking two adults and two small children.

I think I also need to get a journal and actually write down everything I'm spending $$ on. Leave the debit/credit cards here and use cash only. Now to actually implement this idea!
    Last edited by aidensmom; 04-01-2009 at 02:45 PM.
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

M2M

We spend 600-800 dollars a month on groceries...Im like you, if its something we all enjoy, and we will all eat then I buy it.

Although me and my partner both agree that when it comes to groceries theres no such thing as spending too much....we just love food too much.

Expert Forum User

I spend a bit on groceries, I like good cuts of meet and many quality foods. I do use coupons, and buy extra while on sale.
    I've recently (last month) started making a weekly meal plan. I literally write it down and put it on the fridge. I start by assessing what we have, then create the meals and write a grocery list for what we don't have.

Last week I bought a large thing of hamburger, I split it into 4 and froze each one. When making my meal plan this week, I made two meals using the hamburger meat.

The trick is when you go to the grocery store only buy what is on your list. I used to spend SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much and literally threw out half the fridge in left overs, or food gone bad. NOw I plan for a leftover day/take out. If there are leftovers, that's what we have, if not we do take out (it encourages DH to eat leftovers ahead becuase he looks forward to take out!

Goodluck.

LOL, how timely! I'm sitting here scratching out budgeting ideas myself and just decided groceries need to be axed in a huge way. Last month we spent nearly $800, but to be fair, we had 2 birthday parties in there and stocking up at Sam's when it closed. Toiletries are rolled in that as well. Still, I've gotta start shopping smarter.

Expert Forum User

We spend about $400-$500 a month. Dh checks the flyers each weekend and looks for the best deals on meat and then we meal plan from there. We don't buy lunch meat but instead cook a roast on the weekend and use the leftover meat for sandwiches. We buy ground beef in bulk, then split it up in freezer bags when we get home. That's all I can think of right now... I think watching for sales is a big part of our savings.
    Please always show kindness in your posts as the person receiving it may need it more than you will ever know.

SAHM to two boys, 13 and 7.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! eversoclever's Avatar

We include disposable diapers for 2 and toiletries in our monthly grocery budget, and we're coming in around $600 per month. I've recently cut back by meal planning and using leftovers from one meal as the base for the next night. Last week I made meatloaf, and the next day used the leftovers for stroganoff. Canned and frozen veg are much easier on the pocketbook, or hit up the farmer's market for less expensive fresh fruits and veggies. I also try to use recipes that call for cheaper meats or other proteins -- eggs, beans, lentils, bacon, dark chicken, sausage, etc.

Just going to Food Basics instead of doing ALL of my shopping at RCSS has saved me over $300 per month.

For our family (two adults and one toddler) we're spending the better part of $300 a month. I include diapers, wipes in this and DD's homo organic milk is expensive.
    We only buy antibiotic free, organic and/or free range chicken, eggs and dairy (which tend to be more $$).

I try to NEVER shop when I'm hungry (or bring DH, since he's an impulse shopper and I'll see items in the cart that we don't need!- or if he goes to pick up milk, he comes back with many more items!)

Also, I'll stock up if its a really great deal (like toliet paper, paper towels, cheese, meat etc...) that way it lowers other weeks/months purchases. It's amazing how quickly groceries can add up!

We spend about $600 a month on groceries. That is a family of 5. But we don't buy any of our meat (except chicken, and that is once and a while) at the grocery store. Once a year we will buy a cow and a pig (we have family on farms) and have them done up. We find that by doing this it saves a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by newmum2 View Post
    For our family (two adults and one toddler) we're spending the better part of $300 a month.
    I'm impressed! Don't know how that's possible, but good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by eversoclever View Post
    Just going to Food Basics instead of doing ALL of my shopping at RCSS has saved me over $300 per month.
    This might be part of the problem. At our old place, the closest grocery store was a No Frills, here its either RCSS or A&P so I do most of the shopping at RCSS and they aren't as good a price as No Frills. Problem is I really don't like Food Basics. Are there any No Frills in the north or east end? We're Oxford/Adelaide now.
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

There's one on Fanshawe Park Road and Wonderland, I think. I'm trying to remember, but I think that's right.

I try to keep it around $100.00 a week, I cloth diaper, so that doesn't cost us (anymore then the initail $$), I stock up on things like kleenex and toilet paper when it is on sale, and certain staples like the kind of spagetti sauce we get.

I have said it before but we got a really nice bench with squat rack and 300+ pounds of weight for $40.00 at a garage sale, our treadmill was half price I think around $1000.00, I LOVE it, I can run and watch my kids at the same time because it is in the play room, so I don't have going to the gym time eating up my "free" time, I might consider that if I was you only for the convenience of being able to do it here at home, sooo nice. I know some ppl use gym time to re-charge and get a break from the kids, I think it is really an individual thing, but I do think you could pick up a second hand tread for a decent price as many ppl who buy them don't end up using them.

there is a no frills at argile isnt there?
    Mommy to Hannah & Lily

Quote Originally Posted by eversoclever View Post
    I'm impressed! Don't know how that's possible, but good for you!
    It's funny, since I hear others spending $600 or so a month and I think 'WHAT!?'
    I guess its more of an average monthly cost. Like I said, I've stocked up on loads of items over the year (I don't think I've bought TP or wipes in about 9 months! diapers in over 3). I freeze a lot of meat that I get on sale and shopping at $1-2 days at No Frills have really helped me stock up my pantry with basics. I'm a deal hunter!
    (I agree with you too 'ever', frozen veg are great and farmer's markets are the way to go)

OK, I looked it up and here are the other No Frills in London:

1925 Dundas St. E
    7 Baseline Rd. E
    1275 Highbury Ave.
    960 Hamilton Rd
    635 Southdale Rd. E

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast