Administrator Site Admin

Default Watch out for scam emails.....got this one this morning!

Hello,
    How are you doing?I travel to England and i need a favor from you as soon as you receive this e-mail because i misplaced my wallet on my way to the hotel where my money,and other valuable things were kept i will like you to assist me with a soft loan urgently with the sum of (1,170:00GBP) to sort-out my hotel bills and get myself back home,meanwhile i could have call you but i did not hold my phone along right here in England mind you i will not be able to rich you on phone just until i get back home as well and again right now as i was mailling you i don't have any money with me meanwhile right now i came down to City Library - Manchester City Council to mail you as well kindly bear reason with me please and please i will appreciate whatever you can afford and ill pay you back as soon as i return back home,Meanwhile i will want you to wire the money to me via western union money transfer this are the details to send the money below................

Here are the details :

Name: Kimberly ******
    Address :Manchester Marathon Association
    PO Box 933
    Zip code: NH 03105
    State:Manchester

As soon as you make the transfer kindly get back to me with the details of the transfer such as MTCN # 10digts number .

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regard

Kim.
    Leslie

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! Mommy2Cuties's Avatar

I have seen similar emails to this and always wonder "who would actually fall for it and give a stranger money like that?"

Thanks for the reminder - I am sure considering today's date there will be a lot of these going around.
    I stole Turtle's Lollipop! xoxo

Nicole, mama to Miss A (April 2005), Miss K (Sept 2007), Angel Baby (August 2008), and Baby A (June 2009)

Expert Forum User

wow, was is just me or was that hard to read? Do you know this individual? That's a bit scary if they just found your email. Thanks for the heads up Leslie.

Thats crazy..
    One time there was a story about an email like this on Dr Phil and a guy sent the money thinking that it really was his friend!
    Thats crazy but i am glad you knew it was a scam!

Administrator Site Admin

It came from one of my contacts as if she sent it but she wouldn't even talk that way, nor do I know her well enough to ask me for money!
    Leslie

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

no kidding -translation please.

Expert Forum User

I'm so glad you didn't fall for that. Its hard to fall for scam emails now adays it seems because none of these emails are original anymore. All the same, over and over.

I got an email from facebook saying "Barack Obama confirmed you as a fourth cousin on We're Related". I was very curious to see the link, but I'm sure its a scam too.. I mean, with this Conflikter virus going around, I don't want to take any risks.
    XO
    Jessica

Independant Passion Party Consultant
    Join my group on Facebook

Leslie if that came directly from a contact you need to get in touch with them another way as generally it means some one else has gotten access to there accounts. This is a common scam to happen with people who have had there accounts hacked

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy2Cuties View Post
    I have seen similar emails to this and always wonder "who would actually fall for it and give a stranger money like that?"
    same here!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by sittingpretty View Post
    Leslie if that came directly from a contact you need to get in touch with them another way as generally it means some one else has gotten access to there accounts. This is a common scam to happen with people who have had there accounts hacked
    That's from me My email account has been hacked and the password and all settings have been changed, so I cannot access the account at all. I've already contacted Hotmail abuse to report it.

I have received numerous phone calls from friends this morning questioning me, because if I was in England, I would have posted on fb, and wondering what's going on. I'm hoping that everyone on my contact list will not respond to it.

This is not how I had planned to spend a day off
    Last edited by momof3+1; 04-01-2009 at 10:17 AM.
    Kim
    Mom to four great kids: Hunter, Trent, Emma and Logan

Administrator Site Admin

So glad you know about it Kim, I wasn't sure how else to try to get ahold of you! Didn't even think of facebook.

The weirdo's kept responding back to me too! Pretty bold if you ask me! I have about 3 responses from them trying to get me to send money. They are persistent!

Good luck sorting it all out!
    Leslie

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
    So glad you know about it Kim, I wasn't sure how else to try to get ahold of you! Didn't even think of facebook.

The weirdo's kept responding back to me too! Pretty bold if you ask me! I have about 3 responses from them trying to get me to send money. They are persistent!

Good luck sorting it all out!
    Thanks Leslie. It's such a HUGE PITA, tho; that was my main email account for bills, etc.

Hopefully it doesn't take too long to get this sorted out!
    Kim
    Mom to four great kids: Hunter, Trent, Emma and Logan

momof3+1 -- Sorry you have to go through that. That is definitely a PITA.

I have never seen that email/scam before. That is a new one for me. I used to rent our townhouse out and I would get all sorts of email/scams about how if I would send my banking info to them, they would send me a direct deposit (I remember thinking at the time -- more like, let me steal all your money) or they would send me a money order because their dad/stepdad/friend/mom's boss/their boss had the money order all ready; just needed a name on it and once the money order was sent, could I pllleeeaaasssse send the remainder of the money left over so they could book their ticket or buy their furniture or whatever else they needed....

I always got a laugh out of it and thought do people really fall for these scams? Most of the times, the English was so bad, I could hardly decipher it. Usually, they would stop writing when I would send them a copy of my credit app. I'm not sure why but they never wanted to fill one out...hmmm!!

Quote Originally Posted by xojessica View Post
    I got an email from facebook saying "Barack Obama confirmed you as a fourth cousin on We're Related". I was very curious to see the link, but I'm sure its a scam too.. I mean, with this Conflikter virus going around, I don't want to take any risks.

I got that this morning too and was thinking how could i possibly be related to Barack Obama...my family is Italian on both sides for many generations...I can trace my family quite far back so this relation would have to be buried pretty deep!