Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Huron & Highbury... Betcha can't guess what city though!!

Angry ugh wish I could get in shape...

Okay so this is kindof a rant lol I'm upset.

I sprained my ankle, for the second time in three days, and the fourth time in a month.

I injured my ankle in gymnastics 20 yrs ago, always been tricky since then. I sprain it a lot. In fact, it no longer swells or bruises I have to baby it for a bout 15-20 minutes, then just hurts like hell to walk on for a few days.

Needless to say, it's very unstable. My ankle rolls me over on a fairly regular basis, in bare feet, supportive running shoes - it doesn't matter what's on my feet, and they're definitely sprains.

10 years ago after seeing the Fowler Kennedy Clinic (back in the days when you had to be referred by a doc) I was told that if I sprained it once more, I would require surgery to shorten the ligaments which are so badly stretched now they are essentially useless. This scared the begeezus out of me, so I didn't go back when I sprained it again... ever.

Of course, what happens when you start to live a sedentary lifestyle because you're afraid of spraining your ankle? You stop playing volleyball, baseball, doing any running, jogging, excessive walking (distances I mean), or any other cardio (ie aerobics classes etc.) I'm too afraid that I'm going to fall over and embarass myself and hurt myself, so I don't just "go for a walk" to walk... I only walk distances if i HAVE to. I even try to take breaks every so often to "rest" the ankle.

My weight has ballooned by close to 80 lbs in the last 10 years (but part of that is from my babies I know). I finally have had enough of feeling like a whale, and started slowly trying to do more (walking to the park with the kids etc.) with tensor bandages, etc. on my ankle - a month ago, wtf happens, in my first volleyball game in 10 years? I land badly and roll the ankle, since then I've rolled it 4 more times. For anyone else I suspect they would be on crutches, however my ankle is so messed up by this point that I'm probably doing more damage to the bone or something. I fell so hard a couple days ago I actually heard a crack, and had my son in my arms. I had to roll him away from me, I was in agony, luckily DH was home and kept the kids away from me while I laid on the floor for a good 30 minutes this time, before i could even get up.

I'm so frustrated. I want to get this weight off. I want to be able to run after my 1 year old in the park without rolling my ankle - Hell, I'd just like to WALK without rolling my ankle , and falling over like I did tonight, again at the park. It's painful, it's embarassing and it makes me feel like I can't run and play and keep up with my kids... and I can't.

I'm just really frustrated tonight, with ice on my ankle and keeping it elevated, while its throbbing and making me have tears in my eyes.

I guess I should have gone back 10 years ago when I sprained it again. *sigh* Now I'm going to have to start the whole process again. All the appointments, physio, "strength" training or what have you, ultrasound treatments. Oh Gosh... and none of it worked before. It is such a long process.

I think I'm feeling sorry for myself now lol I really don't like to admit my weaknesses, i like everyone to think that I'm superhuman and have nooooo issues, and noooo pain and I just can't seem to do it anymore.
    Mama to 3 active, beautiful, energetic, and always entertaining children.

DD ~ K ~ April 22, 2005
    DS1 ~ K ~ May 17, 2007
    DS1 ~ K ~ July 23, 2010

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Oh wow!! OUCH!!! I was in pain just reading that!! Go get it looked at so you can get it fixed up!! Hugs!!
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User

Hi Mandi.

First off, HUGS. I have put on 110 lbs in 14 years by stopping being active. Now I want to lose the weight before playing volleyball, etc again because my body HURTS, my feet hurt, etc. It's a catch 22. I also had a foot injury, but I rolled the ball area of my foot and it has never been the same. So, I literally feel your pain.

Anyway, my first thought when I read your post was how about swimming? It's a great workout... and what an incentive to know you have to be seen in a bathing suit!

Good luck with what you figure out. And, yes I think you should definitely get that ankle looked at. No sense losing all the weight to be able to play with your kids... only to find out you can't walk!
    www.southhilldesigns.com/carolwood
    www.facebook.com/charms2last.carolwood

The devil on my left shoulder wants me to reply, but the angel on my right shoulder is screaming: filter.....FILTER! - unknown

Banned

I'm with tansie, I was going to suggest either swimming or cycling (spinning class maybe) so that you don't put pressure on your ankle.
    Hugs to you. I feel your pain also.

Expert Forum User

More hugs to you! I feel your pain too.

I agree with swimming but start out slowly even with that. I injured my foot a couple of years ago and had a lot of trouble with foot pain doing breaststroke when swimming because of the type of kick needed.

I hope your doc and therapists can help you.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I was just going to suggest swim aerobics or swimming laps, if you aren't happy with how you look in a bathing suit, know no one else truly cares. If I was you, I would take advantage that your arms aren't injured and pick up a pair of dumbells. I would do abs too, and I would sit on a chair and do kicking motions with your legs and move however you can with out worrying about getting hurt, but what about roller blading? or the eliptical when it does feel pretty good? both I find to be pretty easy impact wise. I would pick up Tosca Renos clean eating book too, and I would eat perfect. The pay off will be better then any delish junk food. I put on a few winter pounds and I had an epiphany about food, I was craving licorice actually, and it hit me - I have ate licorice lots of times, but I can't taste it now, I could taste it for the 30 seconds it was in my mouth, but I like feeling and being in shape way more then I care about food, so obviously I didn't end up eating licorice, when I get to my goal I am going to have a cheat day, but I don't get that yet. I do have winter weight to lose and I am not happy about it myself, because untill the winter I was so good with my dicipline in working out but the thing is, all I can do is eat good and exercise, beyond that their's not too much you know? so do the best you can with your injury, and celebrate that you can work your body as much as you can and the way it looks now, their is nothing to be gained from being down on yourself, I would take those feelings and turn them into determination and into action so that at the end of this year when you look in the mirrior you know you look the way you will because you gave it all you could. I was watching I think it was the last 10 pounds and the one girl injured herself so all she could do was swim and she did bike on a hands only bike for her challenge ,I think she did kyacking(sp?) too,( what about looking to join something like that that's offered??) and she was super clean with her diet and she did lose 7 pounds, so it is possible -and not only that - you will lose weight and get in better shape, just in your way and what is possible for you.
    Last edited by my2babies; 03-29-2009 at 11:37 PM.

Expert Forum User

I'm sorry hon! That sucks. I have no excuse, so you are doing far better then I. Hey, you need a work-out buddy, gimme a ring. Isn't there some kind of rigid ankle brace you can buy from shoppers home health care with splints? Go see your Dr. Hon. I'm here if you need someone to watch the kiddies while you go. Get yourself ready to get back in shape first, then you can work on getting on the move.

Oh that just sounds painful and awful. I wish you all the best. Get that ankle looked at!! It may seem like it doesn't 'work' with all of the therapy etc., but you can't leave something like that...

Well i called FK clinic today - i'm in on Wednesday to see someone... Keeping my fingers crossed that they can tell me something!

DD ~ K ~ April 22, 2005
    DS1 ~ K ~ May 17, 2007
    DS1 ~ K ~ July 23, 2010

Welllll I went to the Fowler Kennedy Clinic today - the doc told me they very rarely do surgery anymore for this injury. Instead I have to get an 80$ ankle brace (which, OF COURSE, they can't direct bill to my insurance, so have to come up with that money first.) as well as physio therapy (which I"ve already done, and since i'm back in this boat again obviously did not work, but i'll try again - in two or three months when I can save up enough freakin' cash to pay $80 for the initial visit, and then $50 for each visit after -out of pocket, because apparently NO ONE FREAKIN DIRECT BILLS ANYMORE)

I'm happy that I wont need surgery, I"m irritated that it's so much money out of pocket - even with combined benefits DH and I will still have to pay 15$/visit to physio - which is manageable, but where exactly am I supposed to come up with $50 for each visit to pay up front?

DD ~ K ~ April 22, 2005
    DS1 ~ K ~ May 17, 2007
    DS1 ~ K ~ July 23, 2010

Expert Forum User

Holy crap dude, seriously? There's got to be a less expesive place, that will do direct billing. I'll let you know if I can dig anything up. I'm glad you don't need surgery though!

I'd appreciate it... The $ is part of the reason i ended up stopping physio before - and at that time I was going like twice a week... I cut it down and did some of the exercises at home. I'll probably do that again, go for a few weeks and then just go every few weeks and do what exercises I can at home... sorry for that last rant lol I was feeling really like my ankle would never get better b/c I can't pay for it to.

Part of me wishes for surgery. Atleast physio would be covered if I had surgery :S

DD ~ K ~ April 22, 2005
    DS1 ~ K ~ May 17, 2007
    DS1 ~ K ~ July 23, 2010

*hugs* thats rough
    jennifer mommy to 4 amazing kids!

So, I discovered that OHIP does pay for Physio - IF you get a referral and have it done at a hospital - I put myself on a waitinglist for UH. Even if I have to wait, as long as I get the brace I think that will still be okay!

But yeah, I had NO idea that OHIP still covered *any* phsyio. As long as you can wait for your 'turn'.

DD ~ K ~ April 22, 2005
    DS1 ~ K ~ May 17, 2007
    DS1 ~ K ~ July 23, 2010

That is good news!
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast