Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default Getting back "into shape"

Whatever that means, eh?

I was 30 pounds lighter 8 years ago. I have no unrealistic expectations that I should be that weight again, lol... BUT, I WOULD like to get back to a place where I can run around after my kid at the park and not get completely winded and gasping for air after 2 MINUTES. Please. I feel so pathetic.

On Thursday night I went for a few hours and got back into the saddle ... oh. my. god. I cannot walk today. This was 2 days ago and my abs feel like I ripped myself open with a blunt spoon.

So. Where to start? Slow and easy? Walking around the block? I feel so bloody useless doing that -- I want to do something INTENSE, lol. But I don't want to hurt myself, kwim?

Gym is out .. I don't "do" gyms.

What are other people doing to get back into shape?
    "Show me your horse and I will tell you who you are." -- Old English Saying

Banned

A group of us started with the Learn to Run Clinic through the Running Room, and have signed up to run the 5K in the Forest City Road Race on May 10 (Mother's Day). Doulamom is a seasoned runner and she will be running the 10K that day. You don't have to be in the LTR clinic to Learn to Run though, there are a number of online programs that you can follow, over the course of about 8 weeks they teach you to run for 20 minutes. It starts off as walk 2 min, run 1 min, and gradually increases the amount of running time. There are free run club runs with the Running Room on Wednesday evenings and Sunday mornings, they are open to anyone if you wanted to join in. Tomorrow morning (8:30am) we will be running for 2 minutes and walking for 1, for 20 minutes.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Before I started running again I would go for an hour walk about 3-4 times a week. It was nice and I think it is a good way to start.
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Expert Forum User

That sounds fun!

You know, that's what I was doing 30 pounds ago ... running! I was doing 5 miles every night after work, and was amazed at how quickly I picked up endurance. It was fun, too ... I totally get that "runner's high" thing, and would love to get back into it.

Back in the day I didn't belong to club or anything, just did it on my own. I enjoyed it.

I can't say driving into London to run is something I want to do, though ... thanks for the offer. I was thinking something easy at home or near home (I'm 20 minutes west of London) and something I can easily fit into my day.

My *real* goal is to get back into the saddle more. That's going to be my "me" time. 2x a week is my goal, and perhaps a hunter pace at the end of the summer (I would love to do a show, but that takes REAL commitment to learning the tests, etc., and I don't have a coach... Too lofty for me at the moment, LOL!)

Banned

DM, you could still do the running out at your place and then join us for the FCRR! The registration fee goes up on Mar 31, FYI.

Riding 2x a week is great - why don't you add in an hour walk one evening or morning and you are good! Getting a workout in 3x a week is fantastic with a busy life. I think it is really important to do things you enjoy so that you stick with. Also, just keep staying active with J. - bike rides, hikes and even slow walks with the her count.
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Expert Forum User

Yes, just gotta move! That's what I'm NOT doing, sitting behind a desk at work, and sitting behind my laptop doing my cataloguing from home. Sit sit sit. And I can not only FEEL it, I can SEE it -- and it scares the bejesus out of me, lol!

I don't want flappy grandma arms at 40. And they're just around the corner.

So yeah, the trick is making time for it, I suppose. Let's see how far I get with the walking/moving, MOF, before I commit to a road race, lol! (You crack me up ... you sound so excited about it! I could definitely come and cheer you guys on, though!)

Hey dm, I am in a very similar boat. I am moving out of sit on my butt winter mode to get up and move spring activity.

I think your plan to ride twice a week and adding some walking is a great plan.

I have started at the gym, taking it slow, working the larger muscles first to get some strength back. I wanted to add that some stretching after your rides might help with the pain later

(and I am willing to cheer the runners on with you )

Expert Forum User

Hey FE, we should totally get together and cheer on the "active people"!

Good for you for getting motivated; do you find it difficult to get into routine of it? How do you like the gym? I have tried the gym route on numerous occasions but end up being frustrated with all that machinery, and quickly getting bored.

And then after the 2 minute workout, I'd go get ice cream.

Riding at least invigorates me; makes me feel like I'm not "exercising" for the sake of exercising. (Except Thursday, I thought I'd DIE, but I have an excuse for that, being out of shape and all).

I have to dig out my "Yoga for Equestrians" book -- I used to have a really good yoga routine for BEFORE I got on, which really helped stretch the right muscles. Of course, wherever I packed that.. .hmm ...

I decided to get back in the "saddle" again so to speak...I cleared all the crap on top of my treadmill and dusted it off after 3 years. l started running again! I have missed it so much and finally decided to make the time to start exercising again after reading the other running threads. Thanks ladies for motivating me! I ran 3x this week. Now to build up some endurance...

Banned

Lauren's Mom! Come run Forest City Road race with us!

Expert Forum User

Yay Lauren's Mom!

It must be the weather, eh? We're all wanting to get out and do something.

I find being motivated is key. I NEED motivation, and often I don't feel it. Sometimes that glass of wine is more tempting than getting out and moving my butt. Maybe we need a "kick in the pants" thread ... where we can come and get our much needed encouragement?

Ana
    Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by dressage mom View Post
    Sometimes that glass of wine is more tempting than getting out and moving my butt.
    Are ya kidding me? A glass of wine is ALWAYS more tempting than exercise! But yeah, its just good for you. The exercise too.....

Expert Forum User

I would highly suggest Yoga... If you do ashtanga, it's much more of a workout than you think... I felt so much better and had visible results after like 3 weeks.

Cycling is also a great workout- you can stick with it in the winter too with Spin classes. I don't really enjoy running, but cycling keeps my endurance up.

Hey when is the deadline to sign up for the road race?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast