Expert Forum User

Default I can only handle so much of this...

Argh,

My 2.5 year old is the biggest most massive-iest whinner I have even come across. He whines from the moment he gets up, through his time outs. Basically all day. Especially lately.

He whines, cause he can't play with his baby sisters toys when she is. He whines when he can't have want he wants, he whines when we go out, he whines cause he isn't tired. OMG I can't take much more of it.

But, sometimes, he is so sweet and funny and cute. But then he changes back so fast.

I know this is a stage, but OMG. I thought my DS1 was a whinner, well DS2 is 50 zillion times worse.

I need advice on how to get him to STOP!!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I'm watching this because my ds whines too (he's almost 4). He seems to be getting better, but there are still times when I figure for sure I'll break my teeth from clenching them so much.
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

My DD is a whiner too. She started around 2 yrs of age. Some thing that we found that helped lessen the whining a far amount was to point it out to her. It sounds silly but we would whine back at her. To show her what it was she sounded like. She always looked stunned when we did that. I really don't think she was aware of how she sounded to us when she whined. Then we would say "your using your whining voice, it's hurting my ears, please use your big girl voice." We had to be very repetitive in dealing with this habit. I must of said that phrase a 1000+ times to her. It took couple months for her to break the habit.

Now my DD is almost 4 and she still falls into bouts of whining. Usually when she's tired, grumpy or sick. We don't whine back at her anymore (because she understands what whining is). However we do point it out to her still. An ask her to talk in her normal voice. "do you hear that your whining, please use your normal voice". Then we don't respond to her until she talks to us in a normal voice.

I can sympathies, whining drives me bonkers. Before I had kids, I use to always think "I am not going to have a whiny child". Like I had some sort of control over it. Then I happen to get the whines child I've ever meet LOL Looked good on me

Expert Forum User

Hey Mackie,

I do the whine back that them thing as well sometimes. Like when I am about to go friggin crazy. But then my DH tries to blame the whinnyness on me. If I didn't do it they wouldn't do it. So for us that dosen't work. But thanks anyways.

Expert Forum User

(((hugs))) my almost 2.5 yo is the same, it is so frustrating!!! She doesn't understand why it's annoying yet, so I don't know what to do either, sometimes I whine back in defeat lol. Sometimes I drop her off at my mom's!!!!

Oh I thought of something. Kind of next level.... When everything I just mentioned above didn't work. We would "purposeful ignore" the behavior. I would remove myself from her and the situation. And I would say something like " your using your whining voice. I will be happy to listen to you when you use your normal voice." Then I'd walk away. Man did she every dislike that. It seemed to stop her in her tracks. If it didn't it spiraled into a time out. Wow this is bring back a lot of not so pleasant memories Such a hard stage for sure.

An if that doesn't work perhaps it is time for a visit to Grandma's hee hee Love it! Or wear ear plugs ;P
    Last edited by mackie; 03-26-2009 at 01:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Banned

Noah just turned 2 and he whines lol I just say use your words and I walk away. I will not answer to him whining , unless he is sick and then I can sympathize with him.

HappyMomma, It sounds like you have your hands full. Is there anyone that can spell you for a nap or a mommy coffee break or anything?
    I remeber having a newborn and a 2 year old and it was crazy for me. hugs to you. Just remember this too shall pass.

My DD who is almost 5 has started whining this year... drives me CRAZY! Someone told me it is a stage that ends by the time they are 6.... I teach Grade 7s that whine, so I don't think it will ever end.

We have tried EVERYTHING to get DD to stop, out of frustration the other day I told her that everytime she whines I am going to take something away.... we have have been whine free for three days.... woohoo! He might be a little young for that.... My advice PERSERVERANCE and hope he gets out of it soon.

Good Luck!
    Laura, mom of Madeline and Avery

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

If they're just whining about something like not getting to play with the red truck and havig to use the blue, or not wanting to go to the store but having to anyway, I'd usually just say "Pardon? Sorry all I can hear is a whining sound. Can you try saying it again?" and so on then finally they'd go "I Don't Want To Go!" and I'd address it then. "Oh, I'm sorry you don't want to. I don't want to, either. But we sometimes have to do things we don't want to, like go buy food so we can make supper. Now get yoru jacket." lol.
    It worked on ds but he was not a frequent whiner...

sorry
    That does soundfrustrating.