Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Help! Bug phobia!

I posted this here because my problem can affect my mental health! I am going to go insane. I just moved in to my place the beginning of the month and have come to learn that we have quite a good deal of beetles! Not like TONS, but I see one on a regular basis, like every two days or so on average I guess. We have carpenter ants too and those little bugs, I call them beerbugs but I think they are actually called woodlouse. Anyways I have a BIG phobia of all bugs...I can't kill them because I can't bring myself to come close enough to one. The few times I manage to kill them (usually with a swiffer broom so I can keep some distance still...) I SCREAM and want to cry, and sometimes do. I know its common to not like bugs but I am beginning to think my issue is bigger than normal.
    I am just wondering if anyone knows of anything to help, tips to get rid of the bugs, whether my landlord needs to handle it, what I can do to overcome my fears, if there is any kind of psychological help I can seek or whatever...anything that can help me out! I can't spend my life scared of all these nasty bugs that are in my house! I can move when my lease is up but there will always be bugs in my house, they're everywhere! lol I also am concerned because I dont want my son to grow up seeing my fear and becoming afraid himself.

This is kind of what the nasty beetles look like too...
    ">just looking at the picture freaks the hell out of me...*shiver*

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! Mommy2Cuties's Avatar

Yikes I really don't like bugs. I find myself jumping all the time if I see them suddenly but it doesnt seem like my fear is as intense as yours.

Not sure what to tell you to help you overcome it besides exposing yourself to them more or maybe making yourself look at the bug for 5 seconds before killing it, then next time try 7 seconds and then keep adding time as you get more comfortable. Either that or there are psychological treatments you can do (like hypnotherapy) or you can maybe do visualization where you could close your eyes and imagine yourself in a room with one bug, then two, then three, etc. and if you feel panicked just open your eyes and tell yourself "that was not real..." and then try again with more bugs next time.

Not much help sorry
    I stole Turtle's Lollipop! xoxo

Nicole, mama to Miss A (April 2005), Miss K (Sept 2007), Angel Baby (August 2008), and Baby A (June 2009)

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

that looks like a june bug, ewwww

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! Mommy2Cuties's Avatar

Can you find out where they are coming from and block that off somehow?
    I stole Turtle's Lollipop! xoxo

Nicole, mama to Miss A (April 2005), Miss K (Sept 2007), Angel Baby (August 2008), and Baby A (June 2009)

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy2Cuties View Post
    Can you find out where they are coming from and block that off somehow?
    I don't know...we are on the main floor and so they are possibly just coming from the basement. None of the floors were sealed off amazingly where it meets the wall, and there are a few drilled holes in the floor in some spots where cable wires had ran through. We are going to fill all of that as much as we can but I don't think it will help a whole lot. The neighbour in the other main floor unit said that he doesn't know about beetles, but he gets the ants too, he thinks its from the tree out back and he is going to use some kind of soil this summer that wards of ants or something like that. No matter what we do, we will have a bug here and there at least, and even that I can't stand the thought of!

Are you renting? I'd get the landlord o call an exterminator personally. We had cockroahes one time and they were gone in just a couple of days after they came. They didn't spray, just put down some gel type stuff.

Ants, get some ant traps or try one of the natural remedies for them.
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

Is it the landlords duty to exterminate bugs like this though? If it is then I will definitely be asking about it. I don't think it is though. We have two cats too though and its a shared house with four units so I dont know how they would evacuate everyone. I cant even use ant traps really because Ben and the cats could get into it and it is poisonous. I am going to get a couple and put one in the cupboard under the sink that has a baby lock on it anways, and a couple outside the doors that lead to the rest of the house that we dont rent, one outside our front door maybe and a few in the basement. Hopefully that handles at least that.

Just put the ant traps up high and in cupboards. Or there are safe home remedies (borax, etc). Some are harmful to pets/kids so check into them.

I assumed it was their responsibility because I called and mentioned that we had them and someone was out same day getting rid of them. Just call and say you need them to send someone to get rid of bugs.
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

It is their responsibility.

You're right, if they don't treat all units then they'll just come back. Best bet is to talk to the other tenants, ask if they're noticing them too, and then when you speak to hte landlord tell him/her that they're in all the units. Let them know you've been in touch with neighbouring units and she/he's less likely to think they can just get someone to do a quick spray to shut you up Not that landlors are all cheapskate.s i'm a landlord, and I wouldn't be like tha,t but I've also rented many times over the years and seen a lot of that kinda stuff.

I'd talk to them, see if they will do a fumigation or something this spring.

As for the ant traps etc, the cats can't get INTO the trap so I'd put them places like under the fridge, behind the stove, that kind of thing. Nowhere your cat is likely to be.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I use borax soap mixed with sugar for the carpenter ants. I just put it in bottle lids and hide them in a zillion places the kids/cats can't get at. ( behind fridge, stove, under the sink, behind the couch) good luck
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

One of the few "as seen on TV" products that actually work...we have a bug vacuum. lol. It's a little dustbuster like thing with a long clear tube. You can stand about 6 feet away from the bug and suck it into this tube. I'm just like you with bugs. It will take me about 2 hours to get up the nerve to even get close to a spider or something...I used to put mugs on top of them upside down (then a couple of encyclopedias on top for good measure, lol). My husband got tired of finding all his mugs over the house and having to get rid of all the spiders underneath. So he bought me the bug vacuum, which my LOs have dubbed the "bugger sucker". Now I'm better...I can suck up the bug...the kids get to "ooh" and "ahhh" over it inside the tube, and get an up-close-and-personal look at them, and hubby dumps it outside when he gets home. Happy for everyone.

But I will pack my bags and vacate my house for an earwig.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."~Dr. Seuss.

Quote Originally Posted by prilehavost View Post
    One of the few "as seen on TV" products that actually work...we have a bug vacuum. lol. It's a little dustbuster like thing with a long clear tube. You can stand about 6 feet away from the bug and suck it into this tube. I'm just like you with bugs. It will take me about 2 hours to get up the nerve to even get close to a spider or something...I used to put mugs on top of them upside down (then a couple of encyclopedias on top for good measure, lol). My husband got tired of finding all his mugs over the house and having to get rid of all the spiders underneath. So he bought me the bug vacuum, which my LOs have dubbed the "bugger sucker". Now I'm better...I can suck up the bug...the kids get to "ooh" and "ahhh" over it inside the tube, and get an up-close-and-personal look at them, and hubby dumps it outside when he gets home. Happy for everyone.

But I will pack my bags and vacate my house for an earwig.

EWWW earwigs!
    Yeah I have never seen the as seen on tv one, but I remember years ago my friend and I bought a "toy" from Wal Mart that was a bug sucker gun. It was meant to suck the bugs in simply for the kids to look at and have fun, but we bought it for the same reason as you. It would have been awesome too but the suction was no good, and would pretty much only suck up teeeeeny bugs. It would suck up flies too which was good, but didn't help with the big bugs. Plus it was only a gun so it wasn't distant enough for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by *MamaBear* View Post
    EWWW earwigs!
    Yeah I have never seen the as seen on tv one, but I remember years ago my friend and I bought a "toy" from Wal Mart that was a bug sucker gun. It was meant to suck the bugs in simply for the kids to look at and have fun, but we bought it for the same reason as you. It would have been awesome too but the suction was no good, and would pretty much only suck up teeeeeny bugs. It would suck up flies too which was good, but didn't help with the big bugs. Plus it was only a gun so it wasn't distant enough for my liking.
    This one has 3 plastic tubes each about 2' long that you just plug one into the other and make it as long as you need (but really, is it EVER long enough, lol) and put a rubber cork in the end. Cheesy gift to give a loved one, lol...but one of my most valued possessions!! I don't know how I could live without it and still allow my husband to go to work and leave me home alone :P
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."~Dr. Seuss.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast