Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Monthly Cycle" returns while breastfeeding?

I just wondered how many of us had your monthly cycle return while breastfeeding?

When I breastfed my twins I had a normal cycle. Now that I am breastfeeding only one it has been 6 weeks and I still have no sign that my cycle is coming. I would have expected to see it around 4 weeks. I am kinda freaking out as I am paranoid to be pregnant. We are using condoms but again they have a failure rate. Don't want to go and buy a test afraid it might say yes. We do want another one at some point but not now. Just wanted to hear how many other moms did not get their monthly cycle when breastfeeding - might make me feel better.

Thanks,
    Laura
    Zachary ^i^ Aug 9/01
    Caleb & Benjamin July 13/02
    Jackson February 13/07

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I didn't get mine til 8 mos. Some women not til 15 months. It's very normal not to get it within 6 weeks. Are you nursing on demand? That is a pretty good pregnancy preventor IMO for the first 6 months or so.

You could always get a pg test just to be sure.

Yes I am nursing on demand - I guess I just kind of expected my cycle to come back regular as it had with the older boys. It has been 6 weeks since I stopped after the delivery. Ya you are right I will probably go out later and get a test. That way at least I will know.

Quote Originally Posted by Twins@home&1onway
    Yes I am nursing on demand - I guess I just kind of expected my cycle to come back regular as it had with the older boys. It has been 6 weeks since I stopped after the delivery. Ya you are right I will probably go out later and get a test. That way at least I will know.
    I don't know, since you did get it back that early, with twins no less!

Siana should pop in here, she would know about this.

Personally I'd probably test, but it is WELL within the range of normal not to have your cycle return for anywhere in the first year. Good luck!

Expert Forum User

I nursed DD for 20 months and had 2 periods in that time. The first one didn't come until closer to a year. However, I did get pregnant!

Yeah, ovulation triggers menses. So a woman who is nursing ovulates before she bleeds. You can definitely get pg without getting a period.

With DS #1 I had my period right off the bat, and with #2 I still haven't had one ( knock on wood..lol) But On the flip side, I'm with you and it does make you think your pg again!

Old East, in my garden. Behind the purple door.

I got my first period in March 2007, after having my daughter in Jan 06, and I am still BFing. I have only had the one. I do know that it can be erratic until you stop BFing. A PT is like $10 and could really set you mind at ease.

Also if you have an IUD put in, you can have erratic periods. I just found that one out.
    Lindsay
    YouSupporting You On Your Journey From Belly 2 Baby www.bellies2babies.com
    Emillia - Midwife Hospital Birth Jan 2006, Nursed 26 months.
    Terran - Midwife Home Waterbirth Aug 2008. Nursed 14 months.
    Ryker - Midwife Home Waterbirth April 2010. Yes, I am still nursing!

There is no 'normal' really with breastfeeding and menstruation. With both my dds my cycle returned around 10 mths (although the first time around I never saw a period because...surprise I was pg )

Generally if a woman is exclusively bfing, baby is not sleeping through the night, not taking a pacifer or going long periods without nursing her cycle will not return until 6mths or after when other foods maybe introduced. Cycles when they return may not be regular and can be erratic.

But...some women's cycles return at 6 weeks despite all of the above and others can go 18mths or more.

Hope that helps.
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Default different

I got my period back after 3 months and was breastfeeding on demand. A friend of mine didnt get hers back until her baby was almost a year whilst breastfeeding on demand - it is different for everyone. Tracey

I breastfed on a 2 1/2 - 3 hour schedule in the early months, and a 4 hour schedule since then and I got my first period at the end of Feb (he was born in Aug) and haven't had one since. I'm pretty sure I'm not pregnant, and I'm SURE it's normal not to get your period for months if you are exclusive breastfeeding (schedule or demand). I wouldn't personally run out and buy a test or really worry at all (especially if you are also using protection!) just yet. If you started experiencing serious pregnancy symptoms then I would look into it further. Until then, just relax and enjoy the break!!!

OK broke down and bought a test - negative - so breathing a sigh of relief for now. I will enjoy the break however at least when it is regular I would know that I am not pregnant - this is the only reason I cannot wait to be done (although really enjoying bfing) as I can go back on the pill. Thanks all for advice/support

Laura
    Zachary ^i^ Aug 9/01
    Caleb & Benjamin July 13/02
    Jackson February 13/07

ok I have a vauge recollection of a "6 week bleed" being mentioned at LLL that some women get 6 weeks postpartum but it's not a period.

sounds like it may be what some of you have described

I don't rely on breastfeeding as my sole means of contraception- we practice absinence instead
    Heather.

Push button. Receive bacon.

LMAO Heather.

Quote Originally Posted by Twins@home&1onway
    I cannot wait to be done (although really enjoying bfing) as I can go back on the pill. Laura
    There are hormonal contraceptives that are safe while breasfeeding. Depo Provera is one, and there are others. Ask you doc.
    K
    Mom of two sweeties

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast