Poll: Do or did your kids suffer from Seperation anxiety?

Expert Forum User

Default Seperation Anxiety

Do your LO's suffer from this or did they?
    How did you help them over come it?
    Was it worse with certain people?
    How long would you say it lasted or has been going on?
    If you are a HDP have you had children in your care with this issue? Would you/did you turn people away because of it? Any helpful strategies?

My boys had it but they were between 14 & 16 months old. They were easily distracted and got over it fairly quickly.

My DD on the other hand has it BAD. She cries when I leave her alone, leave her alone with her dad and at the HDP. I can leave her alone with her brothers and that's fine (say I have to go find the phone, etc-different room). I can leave her with my dad, MIL and she is fine. She takes a bit sometimes with my mom.

This started at about 6 months and is getting progressively worse. I am starting to feel stressed as I head back to work in about 2 weeks.

With DS it wasn't really a problem. He was a far more outgoing child than DD is, however, he did go through a very shy phase where he didn't really want to talk to people he didn't know.
    DD started crying when I left her with ANYONE, including DH, from about ten or eleven months. When I go to the gym and leave her in the child care centre, she often cries for most of the time that I am gone, even when her brother is there playing as well. She is sixteen months and I don't know when this might stop.

Banned

My youngest DS (2) goes nuts and almost vomits when I leave him with anyone including DH and siblings

I don't know what to suggest. I feel so bad for him. We go to the Y and I haven't been able to leave him in the childcare yet. I can't stand the thought of him crying for me

I'll be watching this thread for some ideas.

Expert Forum User

both kids did it when they started daycare...they were fine there and with other people so long as i was out of site. if i was there it was only me they wanted and insisted on being carried...its kind of cute but it lost its appeal quickly!lol
    they got over it after a few weeks of getting into a different routine!

Expert Forum User

My DS (9 months) is going through this right now. It's terrible One time I left him with DH and he woke up and I wasn't there and he cried for 2 hours without stopping. If I try to go to the bathroom, he follows me and bangs on the door. If I try and sleep in in the morning he sits outside the bedroom and cries :S. When I take him to my young moms group at childreach he's the only baby that the caretakers can't watch because he meltsdown if I leave. It seems he's okay with others for a short time but if he doesn't fall asleep he misses me. I'll be watching this thread for ideas too!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Aden hasn't been in day care. We've only really left him with family and he has been ok with that. When we go to church though the toddler room was a bit of a struggle. We ended up doing a very gradual leaving method.

For about a month or two I just went in with him, shadowed him big time. He sat on my lap to colour etc etc. Then I started standing on the side for a few weeks. I wouldn't pick him up or have him sit on my lap. he could sit beside me for story time though. Then I would do small things that would make me leave and I'd come back. I'd go to the bathroom, go get a drink etc etc. He never really got to a point where he was ok with me gone. Then...

We moved to a temporary location (in a school) for a bit while our new church was being built. Then it sort of started all over again. They were in a gated area. Went back to the shadowing thing. Then I went to standing outside the gated area but still in the room. Then th small trips, then stood outside the room (where he could see me), then outside where he couldn't see me, then left. It took about 3 good months for him to be ok in there himself. Now he just walks in.

Just take things in small steps at their stride.
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

Expert Forum User

Both of my boys have gone through phases of separation anxiety. When they started daycare I did take them a few times before I went back to work for a little while and I stayed and played with them. Then I dropped them off for 1/2 hr. - 1hr a couple of times and kept reassuring them that I would be back soon. When they finally had to go for a long period of time there were tears but I kept up with the reassurance and they would stop crying shortly after I left. When I would pick them up I would make sure to offer lots of praise and tell them how proud I was of them.
    Jodie
    Mom to 3 boys (9, 7 and 4) &
    our little girl (born Dec 2013)
    www.brightmindschildcare.ca
    www.jodie.lovablelabels.ca