Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Well this post is right up my alley! I work in the office for a security company!

Honestly, my best advice is exactly what you've done. Get opinions and know what your options are!

All security companies are going to work in the same basic manner because they all are required to follow the same London Police guidelines (which I know many people have misinformation about). When your alarm goes off it doesn't page the police, it sends signals to your monitoring station and they are the one's that call the police.

Systems work by sending signals to a monitoring station (which are always 24/7 - crime doesn't have business hours). 2 very popular stations are located in Sarnia and Toronto (the one I use for my own home is located in Sarnia).

When the monitoring station recieves a signal they immediately call the premise (which is required by the London Police to eliminate police responding to false alarms).

When they call your house and you answer they will ask you for your information and password (this stops burgler's from answering your phone and pretending to be you or your husband and cancelling the alarm!) Your information is important because the monitoring station cannot tell who you are over the phone! Keep in mind that if someone breaks into your house - it's likely not their first day in crime and they can be very smart!

If you accidentally set off your alarm you can give them your information and they won't call the police. If you answer and somebody has broken in they will call police immediately and tell them they have a valid break in. If there is no answer, they call the police to let them know they've recieved a signal so they can respond and check everything out. You should also provide the security company with as many emergency contacts as you can. A list of numbers they can call (cell phone's ect.) in the event that they get a signal and your not home.

Also, I agree with one of the previous posters about the 'distress word'. You can have a secret word so that in the event that you get mugged in your driveway unloading your groceries and you are forced into the house, you can use the distress word. You can also have a distress code - so that if your forced into your home and the burglar say's disarm the system, you just type in your regular password backwards and it will silence the alarm on site but will signal the monitoring station to call the police and report a panic signal being received.

My biggest biggest biggest suggestion though is that if your going to invest in a security system, get smoke detectors too!

You can have smoke detectors linked to your system and the monitoring station will call the fire department when they receive a signal. This is not only beneficial if your not home but even more beneficial if you ARE home since smoke will put you and your family into an even deeper sleep - not wake you up with it's smell.

As for price, it's really dependent on how much equipement you want or need. Unfortunately, nothing in life is free. If you get a free system you will pay more per month and be locked into a contract (which can be more money down the road if you move or want to cancel before the contract is up). You could also buy a system outright and then just pay the monthly monitoring fee which wouldn't lock you into anything. It's really just a matter of what works best for you and your situation.
    Everybody has different preferences.

If you have pets too, then you can get motion detectors that ignore anything under a certain set weight. Or you can just eliminate the use of motions and go with window or door contacts/glassbreaks ect.

There are a lot of companies in London that will come and do an assessment of your house and provide a quote for free. You should have no problem getting 4 or 5 quotes to help your decision. Just make sure you weigh out the pro's and con's of each quote and don't hesitate to ask questions! When a rep makes recommendations on what equipement you should have it's usually for a reason and don't hesitate to ask why. Make sure they know what your looking for (some people get simple systems while others want their house like fort knox). The world of security is endless and with everybody having diffenent style homes and different needs, it's a matter of finding out what works best for you.

As for your insurance - you should call them directly to ask what the savings are for having a monitored security system (if you do get smoke detectors they will give even more of a discount). All insurance companies are different so the discount they provide will be completely dependent on your personal policy, not whatever a security company tells you.

Well, that was longer than I had planned but I hope it helps. I know there's been a lot of scary situations out there lately - this recession hasn't helped the crime rate go down, that's for sure.

Good luck in your search.

Expert Forum User

WOW thank you
    Mom to DS - 9.5 years old
    AND

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

The company we use actualy sends out the commisionaires first. That way if it happens to be false you only get charged $25 from them instead of the police coming out and after so many false alarms they won't respond anymore. At least that's something I have heard.

We have the smoke alarms too
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by jjsam78 View Post
    The company we use actualy sends out the commisionaires first. That way if it happens to be false you only get charged $25 from them instead of the police coming out and after so many false alarms they won't respond anymore. At least that's something I have heard.

We have the smoke alarms too
    We have them send out their people too. Apparently the response rate is much faster too (7 min for ADT vs. 20 something for police to respond to an 'alarm going off'). Then once ADT gets there if there is a concern then they can call the police with an actual break in rather than just the 'alarm going off'. We don't have to pay for ADT to come though, BUT we do pay extra each month - so I guess technicall we do pay for them coming. It is something like $5/month. 2 false alarms with the police gets you cut off for a year. After 3 uses of ADT coming for an alarm then you pay for more to come. We've had the alarm system for 2.5 years and have only ever set it off with bacon and the smoke detector.
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by princess2808 View Post
    We have them send out their people too. Apparently the response rate is much faster too (7 min for ADT vs. 20 something for police to respond to an 'alarm going off'). Then once ADT gets there if there is a concern then they can call the police with an actual break in rather than just the 'alarm going off'. We don't have to pay for ADT to come though, BUT we do pay extra each month - so I guess technicall we do pay for them coming. It is something like $5/month. 2 false alarms with the police gets you cut off for a year. After 3 uses of ADT coming for an alarm then you pay for more to come. We've had the alarm system for 2.5 years and have only ever set it off with bacon and the smoke detector.
    With our company I think you got 3 false alarms before having to pay for them to come out. We've only had to pay once. The cats set if off when we were across the street at the neighbours and neither one of us had a cell phone with us OPPS
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

We lock our cats in the basement when we aren't home to avoid the false alarm. If they are out it goes on 'stay' (no motion detector), if they are in the basement it goes on 'away' (motion detector). They are well trained and go to the basement when we call them.
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12