Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default Do you have a home security/alarm system?!

The post about someones break in got me thinking again about getting a home security system.

I have no idea where to start. I would like free installation and $20-25 monitoring monthly. No more then $30.

So I was wondering if everyone who has one could let me know what company you are with, how much you pay, was installation free, what type of monitoring (motion sensors, etc). If you even have your rep's name I would appreciate it so I can contact someone recommended.

I hope to get this all taken care of in the next week.

TIA
    Mom to DS - 9.5 years old
    AND

Expert Forum User

From my personal experience with alarm companies, please get a few quotes.

We had a break in at work so I called 5 different companies for a quote. One did not even show up after booking a date and time that the salesman picked, I even called and left a message to rebook and never was called back. One salesman came out did the walk around with the boss and took notes but never emailed a quote, I called and emailed for the quote but never happened.
    Out of five companies from London we received 3 quotes, 2 of them were close to the same price but the third was totally out of the ballpark. No matter what the salesman tells you please call your insurance company and ask about the amount saved, all 4 men told us very different numbers. Ask where they monitor the system, one is in Texas, one out West and one was in town (Sorry I don't remember who). Don't forget to ask if they can do better after they give you a quote, the worse they can say is "No, that is the price".

Sorry LO is crying..........
    Last edited by KerryLee17; 03-15-2009 at 03:49 PM.

Banned

At our old house we had a system installed by Casob Security (in the phone book). If I recall correctly, installation was free and we signed a 3 year contract for monitoring, I believe it was 29.95 a month. We had motion sensors and alarms on the doors.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

We dealt with Alarmforce for about...four years maybe? We still have it in our rental home in Windsor.

Alarmforce is $30 a month, but it's worth it. It's got people there 24/7 to speak to in case of emergency. So if the alarm is set off accidnetally, you just tell them "I'm so and so, my dog got downstairs and set it off, my code is blahblah" and it's all good. However you can set up a code word, so that it'll come up on their screen that if you say "My dog Blake" when Blake is your code (and Barkley your dog) they know to dispatch authorities.
    Actually the police are already aware of the alarm going off before you even speak to the alarm people, but can be called off if Alarm Force tells them you're fine.

I rarely used it when I was out, just when we were home. I had a home in vasion happen once, it changes your life forever, you never trust people/life/safety the same again. Believe me. This was more for the alert to be ready to defend myself/kids than to deter thieves.
    Actually we aimed our sensors specifically to go off if someone approached stairs, lol they could have taken the electronics etc and not set it off possibly but not gotten near the staircase w/out us knowing.

We set it off twice by accident. After a few times there's a fee, but it's worth it.

I didn't bother with the breaking glass sensors, but with the motion sensors for indoors.

I'd also recomend motion sensor lights on your porch, deck, yard, near your garage, etc.

I want them for here. Everyone has them here in their yards, but for the bear etc alerts, not intruders

Get quotes, people will come assess your property/costs for free or they aren't worth your business. Just make sure they seem/sound like real companies. Ie....I wouldn't hire a security system off kijiji or something, even though I'd use that for lots. Just in case it's somoene casing homes.
    I'd go with the yellow pages, or word of mouth.

p.s. If they charge for the lawn sign, don't bother with it. Guaranteed it'll be stolen w/in a week anyway. People steal them to put on their lawns/gardens so theives will think their house is protected. Criminals know what to look for -- the tell tale red light, little white box, etc -- they aren't fooled by a happy little sticker or sign.

Expert Forum User

I was thinking about the same thing when I read that other post. I will be watching this one, thanks for asking!

Expert Forum User

We had ADT installed after our break-in a few months ago. It was free installation (it took awhile for it to be installed though, the guy was here I think 4hrs) and we pay $39.99 a month. There was also an initial fee of $100 (for the equipment I think - can't remember). We are happy with it, it's really easy to use and if we've ever had a question about something they are really helpful when we call them. I think if you have a bigger house with more windows/doors you can get more motion sensors, etc. but we have a small house so we just went with the basic stuff. Hope this helps.
    They also gave us a lawn sign and a bunch of stickers for free. We haven't put out the sign yet b/c the ground was frozen - probably could do it now though!

We also have Alarm force but since moving here haven't re-installed it. You are welcome to buy the remainder of the contract off us. It's $28/month and no hook up fees. It is transferrable, I've checked. We signed a 3 year contract and have about a year left. You can continue then or not but at least you won't have as long of a contract to tie you up.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by julia View Post
    We also have Alarm force but since moving here haven't re-installed it. You are welcome to buy the remainder of the contract off us. It's $28/month and no hook up fees. It is transferrable, I've checked. We signed a 3 year contract and have about a year left. You can continue then or not but at least you won't have as long of a contract to tie you up.
    Ohh I like this! I will watch and see what other ppl have to say etc but for sure interested!
    Mom to DS - 9.5 years old
    AND

Banned

We have a really good alarm system. He's about 85 lbs and barks like crazy....

Seriously though, I have thought about getting an alarm system too. I would HOPE that with our big dog, no one would try anything, but you never know!

These are good tips though!

Expert Forum User

We had alarm force as well. We no longer do. But it was $25a month for us, free installation on a 3 year contract. We never did turn it on, (we had a good animal alarm system too....still do)but it made me feel pretty comfortable that you could turn it off/on by using a code on your phone. We still use the stickers in our window.

We have ADT, I can't remember how much is was to install. We pay about $30 a month I think? We have alarms on all the doors and windows, with motion. I feel so much safer with it. We've had it for about 6 years, when DH used to travel out of country for business. We set it every time we go out, and every night before we go to bed. It gives me a sense of safety for sure. I would highly recommend getting one.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

We are with Counter Force, installed by Pope Security. I can't remember what it cost for installation, it will vary depending how how elaborate your system is. We pay $25/mth for monitoring
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

We use Reliance and so far the service has been great. Dh has set it off a few times while finishing the basement and they have called within 30 seconds!!!

I leave it on during the day when we are home and it just makes me feel a little safer.
    mama to 3

We have ADT and pay about $40. We had to purchase the system so it was a few hundred for the initial. Not sure if we would get it in another house. We mostly got it because of the neighbourhood we live in.
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast