Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Default This is one reason why I don't vaccinate my children...

There is a new vaccine to protect children against many strains of bacteria that can cause meningitis, however, I just pulled this statement off CTV.ca

"TORONTO -- A national advisory panel has recommended provincial and territorial governments not add a new meningitis vaccine to their childhood immunization programs, saying the additional strains of bacteria it protects against rarely cause disease in Canada. "

And yet manufacturers and governments push vaccinating very young children against polio, diptheria and other "tropical" diseases. Why not give parents the option to vaccinate their children only if they are travelling?
    www.pamperedchef.biz/maryfurlan

Take Charge! Take Action! Ask me how easy it is to be your own boss!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

And yet manufacturers and governments push vaccinating very young children against polio, diptheria and other "tropical" diseases. Why not give parents the option to vaccinate their children only if they are travelling?
    though yes people should have the choice weather or not to vaccinate against those disease you have to remember people from those countries that arent vaccinated do come here and by vaccinating our kids against it in the long run it prevent another out break of it happening here

Logical, yes, but the National Advisory Commitee on Immunizations does not agree with you - because they if they are saying the the some of the bacteria covered by the Meningitis vaccine does not occur in Canada then their advice technically also applies to other vaccines...
    www.pamperedchef.biz/maryfurlan

Take Charge! Take Action! Ask me how easy it is to be your own boss!

I have such mixed feelings on vaccinating babies. I wasn't planning on doing it for DS, but then I did because so many people aren't getting their kids shots now the possibility of some of the illnesses spreading is increasing. I felt like it was such toss up, a possibly lose/lose situation. The other factor that played into it for me is that DH and I are travellers, and so our kids will be exposed to different countries at an early age. But still... I feel like the drug companies have way way way too much influence! I don't like the idea of adding even more to our kids shots. I wish they didn't combine any shots so that we had even more options for choosing what to vaccinate against.

Expert Forum User

I too have mixed feelings here. I debated back and forth about vaccinating DD and ended up giving her most of them. I felt the benefit outweighed the risk. I read a great article in Chatalaine about this very topic and one line really hit home for me.

What a sad privilege to be so dissociated from the gruesome reality of illness.
    I am not saying that everyone should vaccinate their children. It's just a decision that I made for mine.

Well, and what a sad privilege to be disassociated from the gruesome reality of some vaccine mishaps. There is a very strong theory that scientists transmitted the HIV virus from rhesus monkeys to the children of the Congo, via the polio vaccine.

Expert Forum User

I am not at all saying there are not risks. And my DD has had a reaction (although thankfully not life threatening) to one of her vaccines. I think the big problem here is that everyone has a theory one way or another. We really don't have hard cold facts about the chances of these diseases coming back or of the long term effects of vaccines. JMO.

Yep, pretty much, thebarnbees.

My child is unvaxed so far but I am not entirely comfortable with that decision. Not uncomfortable enough to go inject her with vaccinations, apparently, at least not so far.

I have a very hard time sorting out the information. I have read lots but it is hard to tell which is truth vs. propaganda, on both sides.

We've done pretty much what thismama has with her child.

My partner has been doing much of the research on these issues off late. The one thing I distinctly remember him telling me was that in NA, a strong connection exsists between increased sanitation and decrease in a lot of the diseases (many of which we now have vaccines for). I'm totally unsure what relation there is between mass vaccination and decrease in disease however, though the link seems to be quite weaker. I don't know though. I too have issues separating "truth vs. propaganda, on both sides".
    Mama to two
    Etsy store: Merry Medley

Wind,Sand&Stars

I wasn't planning on doing it for DS, but then I did because so many people aren't getting their kids shots now the possibility of some of the illnesses spreading is increasing.
    This is why I chose to vaccinate.

I just wanted to comment...This has always bothered me when I hear of someone's decision to not vaccinate. Do people who choose not to vaccinate their children do so because they trust their child's natural ability to fight off disease or do they rely on the majority of people who are vaccinated...if enough people are vaccinated then the possiblity of becoming ill from one of these diseases should decrease (is this herd immunity I am thinking of?) If the reason is the latter then I would think that these individuals are not as against vaccination as they would believe.

To vax or not...honestly I can't say I am comfortable with either decision...I reluctantly chose to vaccinate, not happy with it but I know I would have no piece of mind if I didn't.

removing my message
    Mom of 2 and 2

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by momof2and2
    Your child can not start school without their needles up to date.

My almost 2 yr old I skipped one of her 18 m shots because she got really sick from it..we had measles in the dead of summer. So that shot she will get when she is older..But will get it.

I "thought" my daughter who is 6 was up to date on her needles, But the school sent a letter home and since she had her shots when she was a baby another was introduced and she needed it.

If you have not had your childs needles, you will have to look into the school system regarding this.
    They will allow your child to stay if you state your case for not vaccinating.

I've look at vax options like this:
    * Vaccinate on schedule
    * Vaccinate on delayed schedule
    * Vaccinate selectively, on schedule
    * Vaccinate selectively, on a delayed schedule
    * Do not vaccinate
    * Undecided
    * Other... because there's always the posibility!

If someone does not currently vaccinate their child, it doesn't necessitate that they will never vaccinate their child. I know that sounds obvious, but I get the feeling many presume this.

The Immunization of School Pupils Act of Ontario states that "a statement of medical exemption, a statement of conscience or religious belief or a statement of religious belief" can be used to exempt a public school child from vaccinations. (this is my understanding of the doc, but I did read it in a hurry!)
    Mama to two
    Etsy store: Merry Medley

I "thought" my daughter who is 6 was up to date on her needles, But the school sent a letter home and since she had her shots when she was a baby another was introduced and she needed it.

If you have not had your childs needles, you will have to look into the school system regarding this.
    You DO NOT have to have your children vaccinated for them to attend school. All you need to do is sign a form stating that due to personal reasons you have chosen not to do so.

My son got a similar letter sent home from the Health Unit (they said they had no record of ANY of his immunizations which I find absolutelt insane, but whatever). On it is states that, if no immunizations have been given, you must obtain and submit "an exemption from imunization against any disease listed for medical, religious, or conscientious reasons".[/quote]
    Jeanne
    Mom to Cassandra, Kyle, Noah, and Holleigh

You just have to sign a simple form. It's very straightforward.

Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast