Expert Forum User

Default Opinions: Baby slings or wraps?

I'm interested in using a sling or wrap for DD because I seem to be holding her so much of the time right now. She's 4 weeks old. With my son I used a peapod wrap, which was a VERY long piece of jersey fabric that went around the waist and up over the shoulders and down---he tucked in there nicely but i found that i was always having to readjust the tightness as the fabric started to stretch out.

i bought a sling a few days ago to try but i'm going to take it back---i love the position it holds her in, but it just seems really constricted for her---it just goes over one shoulder and comes down diagonally and goes under the other arm.

so i'm just wondering if anyone else has used slings or wraps that you found very easy and comfortable for you and baby----I'd love some suggestions!!

thanks

Hi,

I used a wrap with DD then a sling when she was older.
    I liked the wrap (she was a preemie) although it took a few tries for me to get the tightness right. Always tie it tighter. A woven wrap doesn't stretch out although they are very pricey.
    When I switched to the sling, I loved it. I used a hotsling, totally recommend them. I went to Monkey downtown (cheeky or funky???) and the guy there helped me choose the proper fit.
    Some women love the ring slings. Try a few different brands on to find the comfort/fit you're looking for. I loved babywearing *sniff* miss those days. Enjoy your new bundle

Expert Forum User

You should try to make it out to the babywearing get togethers. As for the slings, it depends on your needs but it sounds like a woven wrap may be more up your alley. Talk to myrrah as she's the Queen of Wraps and you can't stop her from talking about them

Can you expand a little on what you mean by "really constricted"?

I'm a pouch and RS lover myself

You should visit the NFL board for more chat about and with BW mamas.

MM
    *sigh*

Breastfeeding Success Essentials:
    SUPPORT ~ EDUCATION ~ DETERMINATION

Beat the "Booby Traps" to Breastfeeding Success!

~The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'~

~Do or Do Not. There is no try.~
    Yoda

There are a bunch of knowledgeable baby wearing moms on here. I'm sure they're going to offer you some help, They have baby wearing meets too from what I've read on here.

Personally I've used a Moby Wrap (stretchy material) and it was good for carrying my son facing out. I never mastered the other holds in it and found it tiring to adjust.

I also used a Maya Pouch from the day after my son was born until last summer (he's 3). I loved it because he was so comfy inside and slept so well. It was great for quick hip carries (he loves to be carried) and it's small enough to pack away. The one I have is adjustable with zippers and buttons so that I could fit it for the various carries.

This past summer I bought an Ergo that I love for the back carries. It would have been wonderful for front carries when he was younger too and I may use it for that even now that he's 3.

I think you need to find the wrap or sling that you are comfortable with an d go from there.
    Jan, mommy to Gabriel (3/12/02), Theo (1/5/04) & Jack (8/11/05)

I'm a mei tei lover, when they can sit they can mei tei

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Oh yeah, you can use mei tais right from the beginning even! They are good.

As for slings and wraps, each has pros and cons. I LOVE wraps but that is my personal bias. Here is what I think of each:

Slings:

- easier to learn

- very quick on/off, you can literally throw it over your head and shoulder and put baby in as you walk if you want

- great for small babies, shorter distances, and also for toddlers with their ups/downs

- not so good with heavier babies, longer distances, because it only goes over one shoulder so kind of makes your back do an 's' IMO

Long Wraps:

- so so many carrying options, you can do front, hip and back carries, one shoulder or two shoulder. Back carries rock!!! Especially IMO once baby is a bit bigger, they are so much more comfortable, and babe is out of your way for things like dinner prep etc. Slings can do back carries technically but I don't know too many folks who have had much luck.

- much better weight distribution so good for longer distances, heavier babies

- steeper learning curve, you really have to commit to practicing IMO. Once it clicks, it clicks but this doesn't happen right away

- take longer to get on/off than a sling, can pre tie a front carry tho

- long fabric to drag through mud etc so you have to be a bit organized, like pre tie before you go out (front cross carry is good for this), or have a good clean spot to wrap or learn how to not drag your ends on the ground

If your budget can take it, there is no reason not to have both IMO. Each serves a different purpose and if you are carrying a person around you definitely are justified in having some good equipment for the task!
    LondonMoms has really gone downhill, ever since they started chit chatting in the home and garden forum. There is a place for chit chat, people!!!

Expert Forum User

I'm new to this, but I love my 'blue celery'. It is sort of wrap style, but without the tying and wrapping! It is small and easy to transport and only takes a second to put on. I made mine myself by just trying on a real one and going from there, I'm not sure they are worth $90 for just a bit of material, but would highly recommend checking them out.
    They are versatile and can used as a sling to start, and baby can face in or out when they get bigger.
    Blue Celery Baby Sling - How to Use

Expert Forum User

I love my woven wrap.
    Wrapping doesn't have to expensive. Oh - don't ge tme wrong, it can get expensive, but it doesn't have to be. I bought the fabric for my wrap and did a roll hem on it myself. easy-peasy. Learning to tie and wear was the hardest, but like Myrrah said - once it clicks it clicks.

Expert Forum User

I personally prefer wraps over ringslings as the positioning of the rings and rails can be somewhat tricky with a ringsling...however with proper instructions and practice wrapping can become your best friend!

My 'stash' has many more wraps than ringslings - most of the wraps have been here since my son was a year, he's now almost 3 (!!!) and we use them on a regular basis.

I found that once he hit 20lbs, a ringsling became uncomfortable to wear for longer periods of time. Because it is one shouldered all of the weight is put onto one side of the body whereas with a wrap it is spread over 2 shoulders, your back and your waist.

If I had to pick one carrier to recommend to anyone it would be a long woven wrap - in the end it's the most economical choice - lasts for years, can be used for many different carries and is very comfy for both mom and babe
    Last edited by Pearl; 03-11-2009 at 10:15 PM.

Jake &Tate

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

It's true wrapping doesn't have to be expensive, but OTOH the comfort and support of a real woven wrap is worth the money IMO. I hesitate to say that because it's very true that they are not strictly necessary, OTOH I wish someone had told me how nice they are to use... like 5 years ago. I say cheap out on a stroller and spend the difference on a good quality wrap. So worth it! It is equipment, like a good kitchen knife or good running shoes.
    LondonMoms has really gone downhill, ever since they started chit chatting in the home and garden forum. There is a place for chit chat, people!!!

Expert Forum User

My mei tai is my favorite. I find it is easier to use than a wrap but just as comfy. And it does front and back carries. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable using it for a very small baby though. I think we started out with the mei tai around 4 months. Before that I used my stretchy wrap which was nice but it did stretch out waay too much by the time my babe was 4 months old.
    I now have a woven wrap and I like it too but I'm not super proficient with it yet. I hope by the time the next baby comes around (which if my child keeps waking up a million times a night will be like 10 years from now) I'll be able to use it well, especially in that too big for the stretchy too small for legs out in mei tai phase.

Expert Forum User

thank you all SO MUCH for your opinions and experiences with the wraps and slings....I think I've decided I'd like to have one of every kind just to have the choice!

In the meantime, I did some searching around online and I had planned to get a woven wrap...and I'm still planning to. But in the meantime, I ordered a Mei Tei wrap and it came last week. I LOVE IT. DD loves it too.....it is so comfortable and I walked around the mall wiht her in it today and she slept the whole time! It seems to have all the features that I was looking for so far....I am just so impressed...It's much better than the cuddlywrap i used for DS...though it was perfect for him at the time.

THank you so much! I am a very happy babywearer, lol.