Default Making changes to accomodate your HSing kids

Have you had to make changes with work to accomodate your own children's HSing? I am currently providing care FT but as most of my kids come Mon-Wed I am seriously considering only providing care on those days. I just find that now that I don't get out to the school to take my kids I feel a bit isolated. Even though when they attended PS I only talked to the other parents for a total of 20-30 minutes at drop-off and Pick-up times on the playground it made a huge difference to me.

I would very much like to be able to get out on Thursdays and Fridays with other HSers so my kids and I can mingle with some like-minded people.

And, I also have to admit that the thought of only working PT sounds marvelous to me! I would love to have a work week of Mon-Wed.

What did you do to make HSing "happen" in your family?

Expert Forum User

We didn't have to make any changes in order to home-educate our kids. We're just doing what we've been doing all along.

I've been a SAHM since my oldest was born, and had always planned to remain so long-term. So that aspect is easy. DH did actively seek (and obtain) a work-from-home job, in part to allow him to spend more time around his family, but that was not a requisite for us to be able to educate our children at home (and beyond). It certainly does enrich our family experience though.

If you're able to go down to part-time, that sounds like a lovely plan. Having those extra two days a week for dedicated, unstructured (as in free of obligations to others) time with your family to do whatever you want sounds great.
    formerly Kathy

Yeah. Kathy I hear you about family time. My hubby also works only three and a half days a week and on the days he does work he comes home for a one and a half hour lunch. We are a very fortunate family to have so much time together. I guess I just want more time for 'just us'. KWIM?

I also think that as my kids get older I start to realize more and more that the time goes by so fast and I don't want to miss out on any time I can have with them.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I think your plans sounds really good.

I didn't have to change our life as much as change my long-term plans. I planned on working more once my kids were in school and of course that isn't going to happen. I am fine with it though as I feel like I have a really good balance between work/life/home and both dh and I like that the lines are blurred. There is very little distinction in our house between our work and our lives, just as there isn't a distinction between learning and our lives.
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"