Expert Forum User

Default How young is too young for sleep overs?

My friend and I swap kids 1 day every other week - she gets mine 2x a month and vice versa. Well thats ending soon as Im going back to work next week and she had mentioned switching it to 1x a month sleep overs (or something to that effect).

Now I mention this to my MIL and shes pissed! She thinks that this is not necessary and that hes too young (30 month) and that sleep overs should only be at relatives. My friend and I dont have any local siblings - theyre all at least 1 hour away and mine have never volunteered for that matter. So I have my inlaws here for relations and she has no family.

Any suggestions?

Grr I have enough issues with my own family - I dont need this on top of it! :x
    “A mother's love is patient and forgiving when all others are forsaking,
    it never fails or falters, even though the heart is breaking”- Helen Rice

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

If the children enjoy it, then who cares? They're YOUR children not hers. And if thats the closest thing you have to family around, all the more power to ya. My DS goes ( 30mths as well) on sleepovers to my godmothers all the time. She has a just turned 5 yr old girl whom he absolutely adores and chases around the place. lol He loves it! Because they're not family doesn't mean Im not going to let him sleepover!
    Happy sleep overs!

My best friend took Douglas when he was two years old, overnight. The kids all "camped out" in the living room (my daughter was there; she would have been 6 at the time, her son was 4 and her daughter would have been 1yr). It worked out so well I took her kids shortly after for a night!

We also just had Madison for a sleepover...uh what was it Tine, January?...to give her a chance to re-establish bf'ing with Logan. She would have been just over 3 yrs at the time, and although there was a little bit of fussing at night, the kids were great!

As long as you know that someone may have to get a homesick child in the middle of the night (worst case scenario), then try it! Could be great fun for them!!!

Expert Forum User

I don't think Liam is too young. If you are comfortable with it than I say go for it.

Expert Forum User

I won't go off on a long tanget about "family"... but I totally think this is more than fine - sounds like fun!

If the kids are fine, I think it's great. My 3.5 year old would not go for it, she is not even quite ready to sleep over at her dad's house, and she adores and is very close with him.

But if yours is fine, good for you and him!

family consists of those who will be there for you no matter what. It's not about DNA, it si about closeness. What is the difference between letting your LO sleep over at Grandma and grandpa's house or at your friend's house? I'd actually venture to say your LO would be ahppier with the people she knows best regardless of the composition of their blood.
    K
    Mom of two sweeties

Default Re: How young is too young for sleep overs?

Quote Originally Posted by Liam&Alex'sMama
    Now I mention this to my MIL and shes pissed! She thinks that this is not necessary and that hes too young (30 month) and that sleep overs should only be at relatives.
    I don't think that there is a perfect age to let you child have sleepovers at. It's great that your son is happy to sleepover at your friend's house...as long as he's well taken care of and happy, what else matters?

Has your wonderful MIL ever offered to have him stay for a sleepover at her house? Don't you love in-laws?

Huron & Highbury... Betcha can't guess what city though!!

Hon, if you're ready to do it - do it, and thats the best advice I can give you on it....

Personally, I wouldn't send Kaed to someone's place for the night that wasn't a relative, or that had another child - even the same age... But you know how over protective I am I haven't even had anyone babysit her that wasn't my mother, STILL! not even my in-laws yet (of course 1 set lives an hour away, the other set in St. Thomas and they're renovating right now so they really can't at this point, but I'm ready to allow Kaed to go there for a night LoL).

Like I said, do what you feel is right. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, long as you're comfy with it
    Mama to 3 active, beautiful, energetic, and always entertaining children.

DD ~ K ~ April 22, 2005
    DS1 ~ K ~ May 17, 2007
    DS1 ~ K ~ July 23, 2010

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I think that if you are comfortable with the idea then go for it.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User

I wouldn't really call it a sleepover. When I picture a sleepover I picture a group of kids staying up late doing eachother's hair or playing video games. I have heard of lots of people taking care of eachother's kids so that they can each take a night to themselves and not have to pay for a babysitter and I think it would be great to have that. As long as your comfortable and you child has no problems falling asleep there then I wouldn't worry about it. I also have a big problem with mil's who think they have a say because mine is always pushing for Cooper to sleep over for no reason. Long before he turned 2 she was always telling me to leave him there over night. It drove me crazy. Do what you want and don't worry about what she says.

Friends are the family you choose. I think your son would be in great hands and it's a nice break for you. If he spent the night with a little friend's family from daycare it would be a different matter. My son spent the night at a friends around the year mark and did great.
    Mom to the Desmanian Devil ( May 05 )