Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Dealing with daytime distractability

So I figure Iain's going through typical developmental stuff for his age (almost 4 months) and hit what I've heard of as the 4 month sleep regression. I'm wondering if I should be trying to somehow increase his intake during the day...I feed a LOT during the day and allow him as long as he wants, but often he's done within a few minutes. Should I be switching breasts and offering the other side? We've always done one side only (with enough milk most of the time - he's growing just fine...there were a few times when I wasn't sure of a good supply but with good fluid intake and lots of oatmeal I think I'm able to keep on top of it).

(see here for details - kellymom.com :: The Distractible Baby and kellymom.com ::Wakeful 4 Month Olds by Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC )
    The poster formerly known as Geomamma

Yeah I would try the other side too, can't hurt right? I do that with Z. Also I find feeding her in a carrier helps a LOT. You can also take them into a darkened quiet room but not sure how practical that is for you guys. He is probably fine I'm sure, but yeah if you are finding him wakeful at night that *could* help.
    LondonMoms has really gone downhill, ever since they started chit chatting in the home and garden forum. There is a place for chit chat, people!!!

Expert Forum User

I find I have to be fairly persistent in offering the boob during the day or else Sullivan will go 4 or 5 hours without nursing. I usually offer once an hour or so and he'll go for it maybe every 3 hours. It also helps if I have a scarf or a necklace he can play with while nursing. He's less tempted to pull off and look around at everything else.
    I'm the last person to ask though about getting a baby to sleep at night

i've taken to wearing really ugly plastic 80s beads. it keeps dds focus towards the chest and give her something to play with while eatting

also makes me look like the cast of high school musical whatever works

i started off feeding my ds on one side and then somewhere along the way he started to be a bit more fussy during the day and not sleeping as well at night - so that's when i started offering both sides during a feeding and it made a big difference for him - i think this happened around 3/4 months but i can't totally remember

oh - i forgot to say that my ds also is a quick feeder - only takes 5 minutes max on each side unless he's looking for some extra comfort - then he snuggles in for bit!

Hmm. Same timing. OK I will give it a shot. Lately with all the clamping and pulling back he's doing, nursing is a big PITA. LOL. Hopefully that'll help.

Getting very very tired lately.....
    The poster formerly known as Geomamma

ah - my ds did that too - would clamp down and then pull off and it hurt - what i did was I would hold my breast close to his lips when he was feeding and when i could tell that he was going to clamp down i would pinch my nipple and quickly pull it out of his mouth - i think in a couple of days of me pulling back he stopped doing it

i hope you get some rest!!! it does get better

Geomamma, thanks so much for the link to the "Wakeful Four Month Old" article.
    That is my situation in a nutshell and it's great to read something that has a positive spin to it.
    Thanks !!!