Expert Forum User

Default Our kids and modern Technology

So after reading the threads on zoo's no-so-little guy and the twitter account and the few other threads that come with growing kids, I decided to check on my son's hotmail account. As far as I know it's the only email account he has and he's truly an honest kid when he wants to be, so I didn't think I'd find much. I get into his inbox and see a free game website that I hadn't known about. He knows all he has to do is ask, and I'm pretty much cool with him playing the games. Papa gave him an old laptop with a wireless card so he isn't on any of our computers and his dad's done a pretty good job of locking everything down. So I go searching around and go and change his password so I can see this profile. I notice the year of birth is off by 3 years...hmmmm. So I change it to his real yob and I get a warning that the age limit is not reached....another hmmm. I get looking and find it looks kinda harmless and he's heeded the warnings about not disclosing personal info and all that stuff, which is cool. It looks like the sign up date was march 4 and he logged in today. He's not supposed to be on the laptop today, so I think that's goign to get brought upstairs. I'm really not impressed, so I keep looking around (snooping, but hey) and I find this picture upload from his phone. I take a look, and it's blurry, I have no idea what it's supposed to be... so now I'm intrigued. He's in bed for the night, so this is going to get brought up tomorrow. He's supposed to be grounded so we're going to see how this all plays out. Just as a side note though, my neices aunt hasn't deleted the boy off her msn account, so I'm a bit puzzled on that one. It clearly says who he is. If there's a convo goign on that I don't know about, I'm goign to get mighty angry... anyways, the questions are these; what, if anything do I do about all this? What are the questions I should be asking? What more do I do then take the stupid laptop away? What is ok for a 12 year old? I've allowed ytv and the chaotic websites, and given permissions as a parent, is there any other safe sites you can suggest? I have to talk to dp about all this yet, so I knwo he's going to have something to say. I don't want to just take this technology away because it's goign to be even more prevelant as he gets older and into the real world, but I want him to be safe and educated about all this. Same with the cell phone. He's a damned smart kid, I just want him to be safe too. Any other suggestions or insights that I may be missing?

Expert Forum User

If he has been not abiding by rules you set out, I would probably only let him surf when in the family room or the like, not hidden away in his bedroom. What is important is that you are keeping up on it and keeping him safe!
    http://lifewithbecks.blogspot.com/

pm me for details about Little Diva Spa Parties

Expert Forum User

thanks! I'm just worried I'll cross the line between a vigilant mom to an overbearing one. DP is going to go through his computer again today to make sure. He came up with his own "I'll only play with it up here" so that's good. It's a little scary this whole new techo world.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by SweetyPi View Post
    thanks! I'm just worried I'll cross the line between a vigilant mom to an overbearing one. DP is going to go through his computer again today to make sure. He came up with his own "I'll only play with it up here" so that's good. It's a little scary this whole new techo world.
    To me it is kind of like when your child has a friend you do not like the more you protest the friendship the more you child is pushed toward it. If you confront him with something you discovered by snooping he will most likely become more defensive and secretive. I think you are right and it is a very fine line we have to walk.
    Please always show kindness in your posts as the person receiving it may need it more than you will ever know.

SAHM to two boys, 13 and 7.