Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default A news cutting morning program

I just got this to my email from Am 980.
    "A" News in London has announced the cancellation of its morning show, effective immediately.

Staff were informed of the decision a short while ago.

The cancellation impacts a number of employees, including well known on-air personalities such as Cheryl Weedmark, Jeremy John, Houida Kassem, Bevin Palmateer and Bob Smith.

The station will replace the morning show programming from 6am-9am with six back to back repeats of the previous night's 11pm newscast.

The show was annoying, but I always had it on to hear the news and the weather. I'm glad they are at least going to have a repeat of the 11 o'clock news. I have a need for news in the morning for some reason.
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)

Wow. Sad.
    The poster formerly known as Geomamma

You know what...I do feel bad for those that are losing their jobs...but really, I'm not surprised. I didn't really like the show, I only watched it for the news, and even that...I got more local news from CityTV. So then I started to watch it for the School Bus Monitor...but when they favoured the TVDSB, and left the LDCSB in the dust...I found better reports from AM980. I thought they were a bit opinionated and made fun of some stories. For example, this morning, Cheryl and Bob were making fun of the "nerds" that recognized today as Square Root Day (3-3-09). Gag. Enough...I don't feel that it's their job to inject their personal opinions into news stories. The other week, Bob made a remark about how "dumb" someone was. That's not acceptable to say...even if they were. They seem to make fun of people and the news stories, kwim? And their on-location stories seem to be repetitive. Same businesses and ideas over again. Just my opinion. Maybe they will revamp and come back with a more energized and less-opinionated morning show. I hope the staff find jobs and are compensated justly.

ETA: There's no mention of it on their website.
    http://www.morning.atv.ca/london/
    Last edited by prilehavost; 03-03-2009 at 11:57 AM.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."~Dr. Seuss.

Dh says they should stick the 'old' shows in that slot. Adam 12, or Emergency, told you he's an old fart. lol.
    i had a feeling something was up when they 'redid' the show last year, they did have Jeremy and Cheryl together and Bob on his own, so when they came back it was the other way around. i realize that probably had nothing to do with it, but it just didn't feel right anymore.

Expert Forum User

I use to like to watch this first thing in the am as I was getting ready for the daycare day. I feel sorry for the people working on it, as it must be a shock!

WTF?! That sucks! I wonder what happened? I actually enjoyed A Morning when I got a chance to watch it.

Expert Forum User

What is going on?? I can't believe this. So we're only going to get local news once during the day? I feel bad for the staff...

It would be twice a day wouldn't it? 6 and 11? I feel bad for the staff too, I'm guessing it has to do with cost cutting but I really don't know why the bulletin didn't give a reason.
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)

This is so sad The world in general is becoming more and more depressing by the day I find with all of these closings and ppl out of work I hope these ppl are able to find other work but it isn't going to be easy right now with the economy the way it is.

you watch they'll cut the 11 out too.

Is this the morning program that they do in the Market? The one Leslie has been on a couple times?

That's too bad.... now what am I going to watch as I BF my DS...? This was the only news that I can watch since I don't get the TV any other time ... it's either cartoons or I'm in bed...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Is this the morning program that they do in the Market? The one Leslie has been on a couple times?
    Yep.

I heard on the radio that it was all to do with money, they cut the monring shows in Victoria and I think a couple of other places too.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Yeah the company that owns the station made several cuts to their programing. Not surprised this was one of them. I didn't like their new formatting at all and even before that it was something to be desired
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User

I feel sorry for the people that are out their jobs, but I can't say I am sad to see the show off the air.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast