Expert Forum User

Default Physio for backpain?

My doctor has recommended me to go to physio for my backpain, most likely my sciatic nerve.

Anyone been for physio during pregnancy? I am a bit sceptical. I already know all the remedy's for it, and they aren't working. I'm not too sure what physio is going to do.

"The secret to having it all... Is knowing you already do."

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I did! I was in a car accident at 34 weeks. She wasn't able to do much - the area I needed help with was my back/neck. I didn't have much ROM, so she could only help me with some stretches and tape my back. After I had DD she helped a lot with stretches and adjustment sort of thigns. I'm sure there'd be a lot more to do for a sciatic, though. I went to the Health Network.

I went to an RMT there, too. She was GENIUS for helping me feel better, both before and after the accident, and after DD2 was born.

I went during pregnancy for a bit. it didn't do a damn thing to help with my sciatic pain to be honet. Then again, I had a herniated disc which no one was aware of, so that could have been part of the problem? The only thing that helped me get rid of my sciatic pain was spinal decompression. My only other option was back surgery...ummm no thanks to that.
    You could always give it a try and see if it helps but there is no guarantee. I went for regular chiropratic care and massage therapy sessions in my last pregnancy. They helped a bit but still did nothing to compeltely take away teh sciatica which ran down my right leg into my right foot It is a very uncomfortable thing to live with I know

Expert Forum User

When you went to physio, what did they do?

I have been going to for massages, which help at the time, but then when I go back to my hour a day job, sitting at a desk, the pain just comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by Carters'Mom View Post
    When you went to physio, what did they do?

I have been going to for massages, which help at the time, but then when I go back to my hour a day job, sitting at a desk, the pain just comes back.
    That is because sitting down is the worst position to be in with sciatica I found that was the case for me. It felt better for me to be upright when I was able to be but that is hard to do all day long and especially when pregnant. it's almost a no win situation I hate to say
    The physiotherapist just had me do these stretch things with her and used a band type of thing, etc. I also used this machine thing with weights on it. Like I said, I didn't find it did much for me. You could go a few times and if you aren't getting the kind of relief you feel you should be getting, stop going. It's worth a try to do anything which may help! I found chiropractic much more helpful than the physio myself and there are many chiro's out there who do deal with pregnant women and do gentle manipulations, etc.

Expert Forum User

Thanks for the info.

I went back to the doctors today because the pain has become unbearable, and I am having pain all the way down my leg. Not to mention I became very light headed this morning, and sweaty and dizzy.

Long story short, he took me off work until Monday, and then he wants me to decide if I want to then be off for the rest of my pregnancy.

I'm thinking I will stay off work because I don't know how this pain is going to get any better.

He told me to stay laying down for the next couple days. I think he's worried about blood clots.

Oh me oh my, I had none of these problems with Carter.

Carter's Mom:
    For me, the pain did get worse as the pregnancy went on, so you may find that too, I hate to say I hope you don't have a herniated disc like I did! lets hope this is strictyly related to the pregnancy itself (it happens to a few pregnant women just cannot recall the % the Dr quoted me at the time). If you can get a medical/sick type leave from work, I would do that now and take the maternity leave when baby arrives.
    I totally know how the pain is! I had one hell of a time even getting up on the table at the midwives office and then if they needed me to move onto my side or do anything like that at all, I was screaming out in severe agony! I sure do not miss those days.
    If you're still having this pain a month or two after you have your baby, request to have either a CT scan or an MRI done to see if it is in fact a herniated disc (there won't be anything that you can have done about it while pregnant). It may resolve itself but for me it did not and I had to have it dealt with and I did that through the spinal decompression which is very costly and is not covered by OHIP yet. It has done me wonderes! I am so happy I don't have the shotting pain down my leg and into my foot as well as the constant buttock pain. Do you have the buttock pain as well? You don't recall lifting something heavy or lifting something the wrong way do you? According to the chiro who treated me for the herniated disc, you can herniate a disc by just bending down the wrong way to pick something as light as a pencil off of the floor!
    Take it was easy as you can. I know that's easier said than done when you have another one to attend to the way I did all day long (my eldest is 27 months older than my youngest and I am a FT SAHM).
    Alternate between ice and heat (not too hot but warm) throughout the day if you can. I couldn't get compfortable no matter which way I layed I feel for you and I can honestly say I can relate! Hugs!

Expert Forum User

Do you need your ROE to go in and apply for sick leave? Or can you bring in the ROE when you receive it.

I will be getting my sick note tomorrow and want to apply right away, but I know I won't have my ROE yet.

Expert Forum User

Nevermind, I called the 1800# and got the information.

Going to apply today, hopefully it doesn't take a long long time to get my 1st payment.

Best of luck Carter's Mom! You are in my thoughts! I hope you get your 1st payment soon too.

@Carter's Mom

I went for physio for sciatia during my pregnancy. I also had pubic symphsis dysfunction. They prescribed me a pregnancy belt to help relieve the weight off the pubic/pelvic bones, which was probably the biggest help. I only had the belt for about a month (she arrived early) but it was some relief, especially when getting groceries.
    Hope it settles down for you.

Expert Forum User

I have an appointment with my OB tomorrow to discuss my back pain, too. I hope it is not sciatica, but fear that it is.
    Mama of two little beauties and one handsome little man!
    Diaper cakes and more: http://www.abcgiftboutique.ca