Expert Forum User

Default Supplementing with bottle-need reassurance!

I know I've already been talking about this in another thread but I'm feeling concerned today about breastfeeding.

I started off breastfeeding exclusively, but DD continued to lose weight beyond 10 days old. my Dr. and the lactation consultant believe that it's related to stamina/strength of DD....she is still quite small and was 3 weeks early.

I start her at the breast for each feeding, and then give her the rest by bottle. THe plan is to return to exclusive breastfeeding once she has gained some weight back and gained more strength---the consensus right now is that we need her to gain weight as the first priority right now, then go back to addressing the breastfeeding.

I've been reading stuff on kellymom and Dr. Newman's site. I'm concerned that I might be creating a situation where DD will never fully go back to the breast. I know that I supplemented DS' feeds with bottles for the first several weeks as well and even though it was hard work, he did eventually breastfeed successfully.

ANyone else have stories of success with using bottles in the beginning but eventually breastfeeding successfully?

Also...I was reading that sleepy babies at the breast are often signaling that the rate of milk flow is poor......how can i tell if this is the case? Today I have only pumped 3 times, but I was able to pump 6oz total in less than 15 minutes....and I'm assuming babies are more effective at getting milk than the pump....so would that be a good indicator??

thanks...

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

there are people on here better than I to answer this. I just wanted to say that the first thing I thought of was a feeding system that places a tube on your breast and the baby gets pumped milk as he/she nurses. I cannot think of the name though.
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)

My middle DS was in NICU. I didn't even get to try and bf him until he was over 24hrs old. When we left the hospital, he still wasn't latching. The only reason they let him outta NICU was because I agreed to pump and feed by bottle so that we knew he was getting food. It took alot of work, (as i'm sure you know from your first dc) but eventually he learned to latch and feed. I nursed him until he weaned when I got pregnant with Noah (15-16mths old).

Keep your chin up. You're doing all you can mama.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    there are people on here better than I to answer this. I just wanted to say that the first thing I thought of was a feeding system that places a tube on your breast and the baby gets pumped milk as he/she nurses. I cannot think of the name though.
    SNS system

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    similar to this - at the hospital I dribbled formula on my nipple as teh baby nursed... that way they continue to stimulate and increase your suppl - they are getting the nutrients of the formula, but you are not introducing a bottle... might make sense in your case if you are definate that you will use formula.

Ana
    Expert Forum User

How old is she now? Has she started to gain at all? How much weight did she lose? What is in the bottles you are supplementing with? How often is she nursing? 6oz are amazing! Is it possible she isnt latching properly?

Ana
    Expert Forum User

Okay I went and found the thread about whats been going on. Kudos to you, mama for working so hard at this! I answered all the questions I asked in the previous post, but now I wonder - how are your nipples through all of this? Are you having any pain or cracking?

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I do not have advice... but wante dto offer you encouragement. My SIL had my niece 8 weeks early in Ottawa. She was determined to nurse her... but like with you she was really small and she was losing weight. So she had to supplement with bottles and even with some formula that was specific to premies to get her on the right gaining path. She went on to nurse her dd without any bottles for a year and a half. She was worried it would be hard or that her dd would always want some bottle after the nurse etc... but it all worked out and once she got on the right track she just started nursing enough that she no longer needed the extra.

Good luck to you I know it is not my own story, but we are close (SIL and I ) so I saw what she went through and thought it might help you out to know it can still work out.
    Help my Kaitlyn reach her goal of selling 100 boxes of Chocolate Mint Girl Guide cookies. $5 each and we dliver. PM me

http://dawnfitzgerald.myepicure.com/
    But message me directly to order or book and I can get you a special LM deal