Expert Forum User

Default Seperation Anxiety

this child will be the death of me!
    DH and I have set up a system where I get up with the baby a million times at night and he gets up with him when he wakes up and lets me sleep uninterrupted for 2 hours.
    This has never actually happened. Usually the baby is brought in wailing about 30 minutes later because he's missing me. I nurse him, DH takes him away and he's screaming before the door is shut. So I drag my weary bones out of bed, have myself a good cry, put on the coffee and get on with my day. I just want to sleep for 2 hours in a row! With DH being unemployed right now I was hoping I could catch a nap during the day sometimes but DS just wails if I'm not around. I'd nap when he does but it is impossible to predict the length of his naps. Often he'll wake up crying just as I get snuggled into bed.
    Anyways, I've noticed that it's getting worse. DS is starting to freak out the moment I dissapear from sight and cries until I reappear. DH will take him to visit some neighbours for a while so I can catch a break but apparently he just cries for me the whole time. I'm worried about what will happen when I have to find a job in a couple of months. And, it may be selfish but I need some air once in a while. Not a lot. But maybe 2 hours to myself occaisionally? I just want to be off duty for a short time!
    Anyways I think this is a pretty common stage babies go through.... how long will it last? I can't go on this little sleep and remain sane for much longer.

o u poor thing... its so nice that your husband is trying. myDS has started that lately he wants me to sleep and sometimes he just wants to see my face, he usually doesnt cry but whines. but at night its all crying untill he sees me... right now i am letting it go as he is sick. its great that you recognize that you need a break. i usually go to my parents every two weeks and one day out of the weekend my mom will wake with him through the night and let me sleep. my DH when he has the day off he trys to take care of him.... your DS is still breast feeding and teething right. so he is so much more relient on you.. i am sure it wont last much longer.. i hope you get the much needed rest that you need. have you tried calling your mom over to help maybe for the weekend.. that may help......take care sweeti... i am praying for sweet dreams for you and your DS

Expert Forum User

I feel your pain, it's the same in my house, except I have no choice but to get up with her in the mornings to, I try on weekends to have a nap, but she usually wakes up right when fall asleep and although her daddy gets her, she will generally fuss and cry until I come get her. I think I might sleep next year.

Is supplementing a bottle an option? If you can get dad to offer a bottle in the afternoon when you are both together with your DS and then transition that bottle to the early am feeding you might get to sleep uninterrupted once DS accepts the bottle from DH. Pump or a formula if you can, anything to get that much needed sleep.
    Last edited by tailbouncer; 02-27-2009 at 04:04 PM. Reason: poor spelling and punctuation lol

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

That is really hard, I have had the same issues with my youngest. We still get that now sometimes okay a lot even though she is 2. It's always "NO MOMMY DO!!" it's really stinks. I don't have any great advice cause I would just do what you do. Hopefully someone can offer a good suggestion. Oh one thing that jsut popped into my head is give your ds something of yours. Like a shirt, scrarf, blanket that has your smell on it when dh is dealing with him. I just remembered I did that with J it helped some. Good luck and hugs
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

It was so nice to read this post...because I thought I was alone! I have no advice, because the exact same thing happens with my DS....except to hold out a little longer b/c the nights do seem to get less interrupted with age. I'm having another baby in 13 days...we've already determined that she will have to be DH's!. Good luck! Hang in there!