Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question High school Bio and chem for mature students?

Does anyone know where I can go to get my grade 11 Biology and/or chemistry? I'm thinking ahead to going to College next year (2010) and meet all of the requirements except those. Would like to get them so I can apply next year. I am not in a position to be able to go to school FT now to get them. Is there a night school/cont. education for high school courses? How about a learn-on-your-own? TIA!!
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."~Dr. Seuss.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

You bet. Google Wheable and the site should pop up for mature learning in London. You can take high school day or night classes and correspondence. You'll likely have to wait until the next semester stars though. Might be summer session...
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

You know I was just thinking about this type of thing the other day. not so much about the Bio thing but more of would highschools in the area allow us to attend their schools for certain classes. My DS's principal told me the other day that they are looking at expanding their courses to include a hairdressing class. I thought hmm that would be awesome, id love to try something like that. anyway good luck on your quest.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    You know I was just thinking about this type of thing the other day. not so much about the Bio thing but more of would highschools in the area allow us to attend their schools for certain classes. My DS's principal told me the other day that they are looking at expanding their courses to include a hairdressing class. I thought hmm that would be awesome, id love to try something like that. anyway good luck on your quest.
    Years ago they imposed an age limit on how old you can be to attend regular high school before you get sent to Wheable. Adults in a high school setting can be a bad thing - 21-25 year old males in classes with 15-17 year old girls is not a good mix. Bad bad scene....
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Expert Forum User

I know wheable does both in night and possibly own your own classes. if you do night school for chem the teacher is awesome.
    ...and in that moment I swear we were infinite.

Expert Forum User

Yes, I just finished taking Bio, Chem and Math through Wheable Adult Education Ctr. You can take morning, afternoon or night classes. There is also independent study as well which honestly it is hard to get the motivation to do it! I'm currently upgrading my gr 12 english that way, and I'm struggling lol. I much prefer the actual classes. Let me know if you have any questions I can help you with!
    Stacey

Expert Forum User

What are you thinking about applying for?

good luck with your courses

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey View Post
    Yes, I just finished taking Bio, Chem and Math through Wheable Adult Education Ctr. You can take morning, afternoon or night classes. There is also independent study as well which honestly it is hard to get the motivation to do it! I'm currently upgrading my gr 12 english that way, and I'm struggling lol. I much prefer the actual classes. Let me know if you have any questions I can help you with!
    ITA. I did two classes at night and it was easy and now im doing a self study but i just end up here.lol.
    ...and in that moment I swear we were infinite.

Quote Originally Posted by Chantelle View Post
    What are you thinking about applying for?
    Still toying with some options...Dental Asst. is one...that's the one that I need my chem for. PSW is another. Just looking for something that I can get a decent job when I'm done that makes a bit more than minimum, and that I can do in a year. Some of the two-year progs are nice, but I didn't like school the first time, and really don't want to do it again at all but I figure I could suck it up for a year. :P

Thanks ladies! I'll look into Wheable...I forgot about that for some reason. Knew it was there. Duh.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."~Dr. Seuss.

Expert Forum User

I'm goign through the same process, but for RPN. I'm going to check out Wheable, but I'm also going to check out the highschool equivalancy at Fanshawe. Reg. starts in March. Classes begin in May.

Ive been looking into this independent learning center and doing courses online because i want to get some highschool credits so i can apply and go back to college or university as well. www.ilc.org is the website and its work at your own pace. ive looked over the website and it looks really interesting and cant wait to start soon hope this helps

Besides Wheable, there is also St Patrick's high school in East London. Just another idea for you as well. They offer a number of different high school courses for mature students.

Did they switch the chem teacher for Wheable? Mine used to compare football to chem... not my style of learning.
    Biology is easy to do distance, that's how I got my biology.
    You can also do distance university for chem/biology through Athabsca,

Courses by Subject A to B : Athabasca University

they offer the PSW course at wheable for much cheaper than colleges (private or community), and you wouldn't need the upgrades.

I love the psw course at wheable, and would recommend it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast