Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Midwife Vs. OB

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

We've already talked about it but I'm posting anyways in case this helps someone else.

MIDWIFE!!! Absolutely 100% would never ever choose to have an OB. I have never ever heard of someone who had a midwife first then chose to have an OB with a subsequent pregnancy.

I had an OB for the first 16 ish weeks with Aden. Awful experience and I can honestly say I can't think of a single positive thing to say. I waited in the waiting room for an hour only to have a 5-10 min 1st apt. where she literally stood there with her hand on the door knob for 75% of the time. Every question I had was responded to with 'oh you don't need to worry about that' or 'I guess if you want'. I asked her about epidurals in labour (I didn't want one) and she said 'well if you really don't want one I guess that's ok'.

She had apts 2 half days a week, delivered either 2 or 3 days a week. She was so 'meh' about EVERYTHING. Plus I went to schedule my next apt and she didn't have anything available for 6 weeks.

My midwife experiences are totally different. They constantly inform me of the pros and cons of any tests coming up and do it well ahead of time so I can go home and make a not rushed decision. They are available 24/7. If I was concerned about something at 1 am on a sat I can call and talk directly to my midwife or my backup midwife. My apts are always half an hour to an hour and I never feel like something is a stupid question.

Midwife hands down!
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

I vote midwife !
    Looking for a doula? Contact --
    www.babeezeinarms.com

I had a midwife. My best friend had a OB. I started out with an OB and changed at 4 months.

I found that the OBs office was stuffed to the bime there were no seats for us preggos to sit in.
    I would be in for 2 seconds to see the OB and out again often not having all my questions answered due to her lack of time.
    When I had been concerned about losing my mucus plug at 4 months my OB didn't address it. In fact I mentioned to her that I had gone to the ER she brushed it off.
    The big thing for me was that the OB informed me that she had no clue who would deliver my child would be her or one of the other 3 members of her team!!!! Thats when I ran

My midwife....
    There was a HUGE comfy couch with lots of toys for kids to play with
    They have you check your protein levels each visit and check your blood for iron deficiancies
    When I had any concerns I could call the office or an after hours pager
    All members in the office knew who I was and were familiar with my case.
    They do house calls so when I thought I might be in labour they came allllll the way out to my house to do a physical to see how far I was.
    Once baby arrives a midwife comes to check on you for up to 6 weeks after
    The big one for me was I COULD GO HOME RIGHT AWAY. I delivered my LO at 8am and by noon I was at home. The nurses in the hospital were a little upset that I went home but my midwife assertively reminded her that I wasn't their patient and would be leaving yahooo

I vote midwife!! I saw an OB for 2 appointments, paid for parking at the hospital and had to wait for an hour just to see her for 5 minutes. Midwife appointments are not rushed at all, just as PP state, and I was at Womancare Midwives, and you don't pay for parking. My midwife was awesome, she didn't even leave the delivery room during my labour, my DH even went to get her a sandwich. Then when it is getting close to time to push, another midwife shows up and is there mainly for the baby, and the main midwife there for you! I had a great experience, I would definitely use a midwife again!

My vote is for a midwife. One of my best girlfriends lives in Stratford and she had a midwife. I believe the midwives are on Erie St in Stratford.

I think it is very telling that we've all said midwife.....

Expert Forum User

I for one, absolutely LOVE my OB... He truly cares so much about his patients. He really helped me through some rough times... I have his cell number if I ever need to reach him after hours. He's in MI, but totally worth the drive...

MI = Michigan? Not covered then I'm assuming?

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by princess2808 View Post
    MI = Michigan? Not covered then I'm assuming?
    I'm from MI, so it's 100% covered...

Ana
    Expert Forum User

I dont really think there is a downside to going with a midwife. Thats not to say no one ever has a bad experience with one, because that does happen. But it happens with OBs just as, if not more, frequently.

The upsides to a midwife are so very great: the individualized attention, the focus on the mother making informed choices for herself, the skilled help all through labour, not just for the birth, the aftercare help with getting breastfeeding off to a good start, the relationship you develop throughout your pregnancy that makes this all possible. Nope I dont think you can beat that! Unless you throw in the fact that home birth is an option with a midwife and that your risk of all kinds of interventions up to and including major abdominal sugery, is greatly decreased with a midwife.
    The only downside I saw was that amount of bureaucratic meddling midwives face that can make doing all these things very hard.

Expert Forum User

I had a midwife with my first and an OB with my second. I am so happy that I had a midwife with my first, and if I were to have another I would go to a midwife.

I really like the after care you get with a midwife. The first night we brought our daughter home I was concerned about something, I called the midwife and she came right over to the house in the evening. I also like the house calls afterwards, the way mine worked was that I was still in her care for six weeks afterwards.

The doctor I had was ok too, the visits were less personal and fast, I he was not the one who delivered my baby. I was also ticked off at the doctor who did deliver. My first I sqwuatted on the bed, there is a bar they hook onto the bed that I could hangon to and it was very comfortable for me. When I went in with the second I asked for this bar so I could sqyat when it was time. The nurse went on how it wasn't the best position, and the doctor said that she couldn't see well enough in that position. In the end they totally ignored my wishes so I didn't get to be in the position I wanted. Bastards!!! lol

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
    The only downside I saw was that amount of bureaucratic meddling midwives face that can make doing all these things very hard.
    I totallt agree. I had complications with my first, the midwives delivered but I was in the care of the doctors afterwards. They were not nice at all about it. When I got moved out of intensive care the nurses were saying things "so where's you midwife now huh?", "did your midwife even come to visit you?". Well, I could have no visitors in intensive care, and she did come up once, once I was moved out IC, but I don't know she found out I was out, and the hospital staff was not very welcoming to her. The midwives were a great support for me after I got home because I still had a lot of concerns about what I went through and with my daughter. They were right there to answer my questions and to put me at easse. I don't think I would have had such great aftercare/support if I had an OB.

Quote Originally Posted by Kari2217 View Post
    I for one, absolutely LOVE my OB... He truly cares so much about his patients. He really helped me through some rough times... I have his cell number if I ever need to reach him after hours. He's in MI, but totally worth the drive...
    My OB in MI was awesome too! I loved him I wish I could have my next one there too!

I dont have a recommendation but I didnt realize you were prego. Just wanted to send a Congrats!
    Last edited by BsMommy; 03-04-2009 at 01:31 PM.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

First kiddo was with a Dr - didn't call soon enought to get a midwife. This time I got one and what a difference!

Being so overdue I'm back to having some hospital appts - as well as the midwife ones - and it's such a reminder of why I don't want to go the hospital route. Staff is all very nice, but I'm not a fan of the process.

Love my midwife, heck, she even called me at home tonight about something that came up during my appt today, couldn't find me so tried me at work. No Dr would do that.

Even though I may get induced and that's a transfer of care, technically she doesn't have to be at the birth, but she said to call her she wants to be there anyway.

MIDWIFE!
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast