Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Midwife Vs. OB

Banned

Default Midwife Vs. OB

I had no idea until last week that you needed to call the Midwife around the same time you are POAS! lol.

So, I am looking for the Pros and Cons to each. I would LOVE to hear from anyone has done both too!

Expert Forum User

I wish I had a midwife but I would like have likely ended up with an OB when we found out it was twins. I have several friends that had a midwife and they swear by a midwife. For the subsequent pregnancies they had a midwife again. Some also had an OB first time and midwife second time and said they would go with the midwife again.

What my friends liked best was not only the care during pregnancy but after as well which is often not thought about.

Good luck deciding, but don't wait too long or you may miss out on a midwife!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Well I had an ob for my first two and now have a midwife. So far I much prefer the midwife. I had Dr. Kirby and she's very nice, but ob's are very very busy. They can't turn anyone away so sometimes my check ups would take 2-3 hours and I would only see her for about 5 min. She answered questions, but didn't spend a lot of time educating or offering suggestions (just too busy) whereas the midwife is totally different.

Their mandate is informed consent, so they don't just give you a slip and say go get this test, they tell what the test is, what its all about and you can talk it over with them as to whether or not you need it. Also since they limit the number of patients you get a lot more time. The appointments are either 1/2 or 1 hour long. They're more hands on. You see the midwife for everything, no nurses and its my understanding that if you give birth in the hospital with them, the hospital staff for the most part leaves you alone (big plus in my book, no annoying resident and student!!).

So far I'm loving my midwife experience and am now an advocate of changing the system so most of us see the midwife and we only go to an ob if there is something wrong. Oh yeah and a midwife treats pregnancy/labour as a natural state, not a medical state to be fixed.

They're not against pain meds in labour if you need them and they have ideas on how to manage pain without them too. They're there for the labour, not just to catch the baby.

I didn't have any "bad" experiences with my ob attended births, just more medicalized and processed then I would like.

Hope that helps and sorry about the novel!
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

Banned

I see you are in Stratford. Are there midwives there? Or does someone know if the London midwives cover Stratford? if you get the chance I would recommend a midwife. And I would suggest you get on the phone tomorrow and call them!

This is my first pregnancy so I have nothing to compare it to but I too love having a midwife.

I like that I am seen as the primary decision maker, encouraged to research before making decision and that my appointments are not rushed. They always ask how I am doing and make me feel like they really care. I have a great GP but she is nowhere near as warm and friendly. For my first pregnancy I want warm and friendly!

I would call soon in case there is a waiting list - then you can decide while waiting. I'm in London but had to go with Talbot Creek in St Thomas because both London practices were full.

Whatever you decide - I'm sure you will get wonderful care. Good luck!

omg midwife, no question! The level of care is just worlds higher.
    LondonMoms has really gone downhill, ever since they started chit chatting in the home and garden forum. There is a place for chit chat, people!!!

I have never had an ob...first pregnancy and all that
    I am going with a midwife and it has been great! for my first pregnancy she has made everything so comfortable, and really takes the time to explain things.
    I really don't know what I am missing with an OB...but I have to say that I love having a midwife and hubby feels really confident about her delivering the baby....

Hope that helps (though Im not an expert with all this)and Congrats again!

LOVED my midwife. So much more personal care, and the visits to your home after the birth were so much more appreciated than having to cart a newborn to my family doctor.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mum_of_four View Post
    I see you are in Stratford. Are there midwives there? Or does someone know if the London midwives cover Stratford? if you get the chance I would recommend a midwife. And I would suggest you get on the phone tomorrow and call them!

Yup, Stratford has our own midwives. I called them this morning and she said it should be no problem to get in, I called quick enough.

I am just doing my research while I wait for them to call me back.

It sounds like a midwife is the way to go. I really like my OB, but HATE the really high chance of him not being there, and having an OB I have never met.

Thanks guys for all the help, bare with me and my million first time pregnant questions!

Banned

OB with first 2 pregnancies and a wonderful experience. He actually delivered both my babies rare I know.

Midwife with 3rd. Amazing Only great things to say about my whole pregnancy birth prenatal experience. If you have the chance to get a midwife I would highly recommend it.

Expert Forum User

I've been playing a lot of vids to unwind lately, so the first thing I imagined was a knock out fight between a midwife and a dr.

But, honestly, I have heard only good things about the midwives around here, and I would for sure get one if you have the chance. If I am even preggers again, I will not only be looking into a midwife, but a doula also.

Expert Forum User

I've heared wonderful things about midwives! If I ever have a 3rd pregnancy I will be looking into getting a midwife becuz ive heard great things and would like to experience birthing a little differently. I've had 2 WONDERFUL OB's and had very normal healthy pregnancies & diliveries. I think the key is whichever you go with, go with someone you feel comfortable with, who respects all your concerns and incourages you to speak up about how you would like to be cared for.
    April - Mommy to Ivy, Sophia & Ryker

midwife no question about it. I had an OB with my first pregnancy and she was awful to deal with! A very condescending and domineering woman to deal with who was not happy unless everything was done her way and only her way. So not the right fit for me. My first labour was induced and ended in a very unexpected and IMO a very unnecessary section all because the OB was impatient and wanted to get going home that night. Her section rate is through the roof I found out later.
    I went through severe PPD and a life threatening infection and thought I'd never have kids again after such a horrid experience (now I do realize not all OB's are like this mind you and I realize in some cases and for some ppl they are the way to go or the only option). Took me a while to realize I did in fact want another child and I did a lot of research on the benefits of midwives and knew that fit the model of care I wanted. It was night and day for me! I had no wait time when I would go for my appointments and they were about 1 hour in length because the midwife took the time to go through all of the details with me each time and they truly cared. I felt very listened to. Having them come to my house after the birth and for the next 4 weeks in my case was awesome! Going with a midwife also gave me the best chance of having that VBAC I desperately wanted and did have in the end. I also left the hospital just 3 hours after the birth and was able to get home and into my own bed, which was so nice! With a midwife you also have the option of a home birth and I could have gone that route too but didn't. Midwives attend home births all of the time and are well trained in what to do when, including dealing with emergencies as they come up.
    I wish you all the best! I think you are going to love midwifery care!

Quote Originally Posted by Skye.S View Post
    I've heared wonderful things about midwives! If I ever have a 3rd pregnancy I will be looking into getting a midwife becuz ive heard great things and would like to experience birthing a little differently. I've had 2 WONDERFUL OB's and had very normal healthy pregnancies & diliveries. I think the key is whichever you go with, go with someone you feel comfortable with, who respects all your concerns and incourages you to speak up about how you would like to be cared for.
    Are midwives in NS paid for by your health care system? I know they are not in some other provinces, so this is the reason I ask. I definitely would go that route if you could. You won't believe how fantastic it is I am telling you! I have nothing but awesome things to say about my midwives I used in my 2nd pregnancy and birth!

Ana
    Expert Forum User

Watch The Business of being Born. You can rent it at Blockbuster now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast