Banned

Default Talk to me about verbal apraxia

Anyone got any BTDTs?

TIA!

Expert Forum User

Well, I doubt I know anything more than you may already know. I had never really heard the term before recently. Sophie also coincidently had a SLT session today and we were given a sheet on "crowd noise power centres" for severely apraxic children.
    I have always just used the term non-verbal, but due to DD's CP obviously alot of it would be apraxia of speech due to her poor oral muscle co-ordination. Brain injury is often involved with apraxia, but not sure if it always is. It is different than speech delay because the child understands, but can not "say" what they wish to.

Are you looking to find a diagnosis?

Sorry I can't be of much more help.
    http://lifewithbecks.blogspot.com/

pm me for details about Little Diva Spa Parties

Expert Forum User

no BTDT here but I hope you find the good info you're looking for

Expert Forum User

Not really a BTDT, but I've always wondered about my DS. Like Sophie's mom, we always call him non-verbal...but he has a few words. But, I can remember when he was younger...he would look at us and make the strangest noises and grunts, but look at us like he was carrying on a conversation. I do know other kiddos with Down syndrome that have speech apraxia, so I've always wondered.

Hope you find the info you are looking for!
    www.southhilldesigns.com/carolwood
    www.facebook.com/charms2last.carolwood

The devil on my left shoulder wants me to reply, but the angel on my right shoulder is screaming: filter.....FILTER! - unknown

Banned

I'm not sure what I'm looking for. The term has been mentioned a couple of times when we've been at TykeTalk, and today I asked the SLP if I should be talking to someone and she suggested I get a referral to a dev. ped. and get DD2 evaluated for verbal apraxia. (This is my same DD with the turned in eye, I had actually asked if there was a chance the eyes and speech were related because they are both motor issues). We are on our third session with TykeTalk, and in this session DD is unable to make sounds that she was able to make a few months ago. I don't think there's a comprehension problem, and I think her vocabulary is pretty good, you just can't understand most of what she says. I asked if it was just a matter of getting her some intense therapy but if it's apraxia then she would likely always have difficulty communicating and may need an EA at school. I guess I'm just wondering what to expect if things go that way.

Banned

Sorry Mofo I don't have any experience with verbal apraxia. I am so glad to read you are with Tyke Talk. they offer a great service. I hope you find the information you are looking for.

If you are looking for a refferal. I would suggest also getting your name in at CPRI. You can do self referrals there as well. It takes a long time to get into see a Dev. Ped at TVCC.

Banned

The SLP has told me that if we get a referral to CPRI specifically for verbal apraxia, then they won't see us. I couldn't even get an appointment with our family doc until Mar 10! I'm thinking this will be a very long process.

Expert Forum User

Sorry, I don't know much about it either. I hope you get some answers soon!
    It took us over a year to get in to see a dev. ped with TVCC. The wait is long.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 2xmom View Post
    Wow! That's just.......wow!

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

sorry I have no experiences in this either. I hope that you can find out what you need to soon. hugs
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by mum_of_four View Post
    Wow! That's just.......wow!
    I know! At our appointment last week we were told that the wait list is getting longer and longer. TVCC and CPRI actually held a clinic last week (pdd screening) to try and "catch up" with their appointment lists.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

IM in shock, i just checked out a website that describes this and I`m ticked. this totally describes my kid. he used to attend speech therapy through TVCC years ago, then graduated to daycare for daily help. He has had NUMEROUS ear infections, hearing difficulties and speech difficulties since. At one point many years ago a woman from the CCAC came in an assessed him (mentioned this in her report) and nothing ever followed. What is really troubling is the more recent `issues`that are on the site he has, the trouble with some words, (terrible feeling being a mother who often can`t understand her own kid) and they way he eats and chews is very strange. So now im beginning to wonder if I should be doing something as well. Guess its time to bite the bullit and go talk to his Dr. sorry for hijack. anyway.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by 2xmom View Post
    Ya, we have been told the wait to see a dev. paed through the CP clinic is now 16 months long
    Absolutely ridiculous. Especially since DD saw her original dev. paed within one month at CPRI
    http://lifewithbecks.blogspot.com/

pm me for details about Little Diva Spa Parties

Expert Forum User

Wait times are crazy with no new funding going in to programs. Different program for us, but DS is on a wait list for a dynavox (it's basically a voice-output device). We know he will get one...it's not a matter of assessing or anything, and yet the wait is over a year just to be seen!
    www.southhilldesigns.com/carolwood
    www.facebook.com/charms2last.carolwood

The devil on my left shoulder wants me to reply, but the angel on my right shoulder is screaming: filter.....FILTER! - unknown

Ana
    Expert Forum User
    Last edited by Ana; 02-25-2009 at 09:23 AM.