Expert Forum User

Default Chunky fused glass jewellery

I took a chunky fused glass jewelery class last night and it was AWESOME! I have to wait until next Monday to see what my necklaces look like, but I am so excited! The instructor has a studio out of Delaware - "The Glass Cutter" - and is running a 2 week course out of Strathroy starting on the 7th of May. I totally recommend it!

that does sound really fun! can you describe the process a bit, I am really curious! how did you find out abou the classes?
    Heather.

Push button. Receive bacon.

Expert Forum User

That sounds cool! You should post a pic of it when you get it back.

Expert Forum User

A basic explanation of fused glass jewelery is jewelry components that are made from decorative glasses which are then heated in a kiln.
    We started the class by practicing our glass cutting skills on panes of glass the instructor provided - we cut straight lines, then graduated onto simple designs, then more complex designs. After a LOT of practice (and everyone in the class wearing at least one band aid!) we moved onto choosing our design and glass. We each had a dark glass background (a blackish-purple glass) to use as the background. Then we chose which dichroic glass we wanted to use for our designs - she had ALL sorts of funky glass: plain coloured glass, glass with "brick" designs, and some that looked almost plaid, all different colours and textures...overwhelming! We were able to mix and match with other students, which was great - some ladies made some pieces with a lot of different coloured glass, but I stuck to using one colour/design per piece (I made 5 pendants). We cut out our design(s) on the black glass, then put the coloured glass in patterns (or randomly!) overtop of the black glass, with just a small dab of Elmer school glue to keep it in place. Finally, we cut out the same shape as the background from a piece of clear glass, which tops off the piece and gives it a nice, smooth finish. Next week we will see our pieces and finish off the necklaces. As long as mine don't stink too bad, I'll post some pics!
    I've included some pictures of pieces that I found just using google. They aren't exactly my style, but give you an idea of what fused glass looks like. I choose to use a few less colours in my pieces, mainly sticking to two or three colours in the same family (ie, greens, blues, purples) and I let some of the black background show through. That's what was so cool about the class, though - no two pieces are anything close to being alike!

Expert Forum User

Here are the 5 pieces I made in my chunky fused glass jewellery class - I'm pretty pleased with how most of them turned out, although I'm sure I could make some "Fancier" duds with a little more practice. But, it was a ton of fun!

wow- those look great!
    Heather.

Push button. Receive bacon.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

i love them, im glad that you had a good time! i wish i could do that class but to far aways for me!
    Tiffany
    Mom to Ben, Jonathan and Zachary

Expert Forum User

Just wondering -- are you still making the glass jewellery, and how did you find this class?
    THanks!

Expert Forum User

I haven't made any more since the class - my kids are too demanding! I found the class through the Spectrum - a woman out of Delaware taught it (I forget the name of her company...but I'll track it down and post again). It was so awesome - I am not the most crafty but still loved what I made, so if you are artsy at all, you will be able to create dynamite pieces.

The pic of what you made isn't showing, do you still have the pic? I'd love to see them.
    Mama to 4 bitty girls - 8 yrs, 5 yrs, 3 yrs, and 21 mos.

MamaAssist London - www.mamaassist.com
    Bellycasting, Relaxation Sessions, Doula Services and Organic Mom and Baby Care products