Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default and the search begins..

well it finally happened..the family I have been working so hard for has decided to leave
    They requested I start an hour earlier than normal which would bring me up to 10hr days (if they are ontime) and an additional meal. I asked that they pay an additional 5$ (bringing it up to 35$) as I would need to cancel some morning classes, and to cover the cost of breakfast.

They didn't feel it was necessary and have decided to seek care elsewhere.
    I'm more disappointed than anything. I know it's just childcare, and this is how the business goes, it just... stinks. I worked my butt off for them and dealt with a lot for the little boy's benefit (as I am his 5th daycare in 2 yrs) and I asked for something that I felt was fair, and they declined. Now I feel guilty like I was asking too much.

I wish they had given me notice in person too, would have just felt like I was a bit more appreciated than I am.

*sigh* I'm sure going to miss this little boy and checking out the ads this morning on kijiji, looks like there are A LOT of daycares looking for kids... and so I can say I'm really nervous about finding a replacement.

booo, what a crappy start to the week.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Sorry But seriously, in the end, I think it will relieve you of a lot of stress.

Expert Forum User

That part sucks, yes, but you did ask what was fair and reasonable. If our provider asked for compensation, we'd be damned sure to give it to her. I think they were taking advantage of your good nature and as much as it sucks to have the boy gone, I think it's a blessing to not have to deal with these parents anymore. Good luck finding a replacement. It's so hard to not get emotionally invested in this kind of work, but you are doign your best to run a business too.

ITA that it will be better stress-wise in the long run. Sorry you put so much effort into it just to get left behind That's nuts that they didn't want to pay you more for your extra time and food!

Expert Forum User

$35 for a 10 hour day is not unreasonable. They will find out that other providers may not be willing to even offer a 10 hour day. Good luck in your search.

thanks... I know in the long run it's probably for the best, for us. Still stinks

I had budgeted the daycare income for a trip for DH and I at the end of march for our birthdays. (also the first trip we would ever have without the kids) .. SUPER sucks that that is going to have to be postponed again

So I have a question and would like to know wwyd...
    They have to give me 10 days notice.. they gave me notice today, so really, it's 9 days. which seems petty, but in the end, really is an additional day and is $30 to me. In my contract it specifically states that weekends and holidays do not count towards the 10 days notice. (and it's written 10 days, not just 2 weeks)

Would you bring up the fact that an additional day of pay is required as they have only given me 9 days notice? or would you just let it go?

not like I'm expecting the days pay without watching him, but I assume they said the friday is the last day as he will start with his new care center that monday...

Expert Forum User

as long as in the contract it states that its 10 days not including weekends then they have to pay you. I understand how you feel badly that the child has to move to yet another daycare but this family has put a great deal of stress on you. I have been through the same thing and I have finally put my foot down. I hope you can find a wonderful family that appreciates you & your hard work.
    April - Mommy to Ivy, Sophia & Ryker

I would invoice them for ten days and tell them 'this is how much you owe me for your final payment as per our contract'

Absolutely stick to your contract. They may not think they have to so you have to make them!! Also, have them notify you in writing as per the contract so that you can then follow up with a letter of your own stating how much they still owe you. Some people just astound me as to how they want to get more for less!

Sorry your losing one of your little guys. It's always so hard when they leave. I hope that your next family appreciates you and all the hard work that you do.

I also would make sure everyone sticks to the sign contract agreement. It's only fair and your running a business...you have no reason to feel pity, your only asking for what is rightfully yours.

Good luck in finding wonderful daycare family ASAP

Expert Forum User

I agree that you need to stick to your policy of ' in writing' as I am assuming that when you say they did not tell you in person they either did gave notice via phone or email ... if it was email they might think that consitutes 'writing' but as emails get get 'lost' I would as them to 'provide written notice' on paper but I would count the TIME of the email as your notice too...cause that is often 'unclear' for most people who think an email is just as good as a hand delivered letter.

As for charging them an extra day .... if they gave you notice at the 'beginning' of your business day today ...the Monday ... is that not techincially still '10' days? All of the business day today the nall of Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday x second week is 10 days? So that might be a 'grey' area that I would probably let go...now if they told you at the END of the business day then I would not count that day.

May your next family truly VALUE the service you are providing in caring for their most valuable treasure!

Expert Forum User

BTW ... just wanted to add that asking $35 for 10 hours of care while providing breakfast, snacks and a hot lunch is MORE then fair ... my meals alone cost me over $5 a day per child not to mention cost for creative arts and other expenses of providing a program for children ... they are expecting you to work for less then $3/hr??? A teenage babysitter gets more then that per hour and the kids are usually sleeping for the entire time

So sorry you went though this. I used to run a home based daycare fulltime a few years ago and had the same thing happen to me. The parent didn't even give me much notice and not to my face but instead handed me a note at the end of the day on a Friday of all days. I never did get paid any money I was owed so I had to cut my losses
    I think $35/day for a 10 hours day is more than reasonable. Good luck to them finding this kind of care somewhere else for less than that amount! They are expecting an awful lot but you know what? You are better without them (the parents). I know how much you will miss the little boy, as I can relate to that feeling of suddenly losing a child you took the time to care for and educate and completely go out of your way for because you cared so much, etc. It sucks when those same children have parents who are rotten and expect eveything handed to them on a silver platter.
    Good luck finding another child to replace your spot. It will come with time. You are better off having parents who are on the same wave length as you when it comes to what is considered 'fair' in terms of childcare, payments, hours, etc. This will eventally relieve some of your stress believe it or not but yes it will take some readjusting of your financial situation. Think of it as a temporary situation though

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

aww I am sorry. But after reading many posts about this family you are probably better off in the long run. Good luck filling his spot.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

So sorry you are having a hard time and good luck with filling the spot, but a 10 hour day, earlier than you want to start would just burn you out wouldn't it? I figure people shouldn't need more than 9 hours, which allows for an 8 hour work day with travel time each way, and it's a very long day for the caregiver and also the child I find when the day does stretch as long as 9 hours. I'm lucky that my families rarely use longer than 8 to 8 1/2 hours per day. I hope you find a great new family.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast