Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    Princess: your numbers boggle me I only got a little over 1800 with 2 kids. We could have used it too. Has anyone heard something about the rules changing about how they factor in spousal income. I thought I did but it was in passing. I hope so.

It is spousal income, personal income and assets that affect it. They have an idea of how much money your family "needs" each month to survive. They also know how much your tuition is and have a number for what course materials should be (not as much for university generally, some college courses require buying tools so they would probably get more for this portion). Basically they know what "reasonable" expenses are for you.

So they subtract family income from this and then subtract assets. They have an allowance for vehicle ($5000 in red/black book value - I forget which, bascially the amout you could get for the vehicle). I think the vehicle hits some people hard. If you lease a new vehicle it is likely worth much more than that. If you own a house, not sure how that affects but I bet OSAP deducts for that. So unless you have a used vehicle that isn't very fancy (we have a 2000 Ford Windstar and it is below the $5000 mark) then you are ok that way.

We get so much because hubby works at Kelseys as a cook. Good for me who gets to benefit from the food coming in the door and the hubby who cooks, bad for the pay cheque. I don't work. The arrangement works though because I schedule my classes around when he is off as much as possible. We have done over 3 years of this with no day care - big cost reduction there! So technically speaking, we live below poverty line, but live like we are above it because of what we get in OSAP and the no day care thing. I'm one person who will never complain about OSAP!
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

mamabear: Watch buying a car. I missed in your post that you were talking about what you could afford. When you fill out an application that section that says assests needs to be under $5000 for it to not affect OSAP. A lease vehicle WILL affect your OSAP. Go to the library and ask to see their red books for vehicles. Find the newest one and look up which vehicle you are looking at. Use this number on the OSAP form in the assests column. You want the number to be lower than $5000 for it to not affect your OSAP. Anything over that is deducted dollar for dollar I believe....

Expert Forum User

I am not sure about OSAP but just make sure you complete the summer term activation which starts the last week of February. Many students forget to do this and find out on the first day to register for their classes (first week of March) that they have not been activated for the summer term so they are delayed in registering for their courses. ITR is for Fall/Winter 2009-2010

To summer term activate:
    http://studentservices.uwo.ca - mypossibilities - summer activation (available the last week of February)

Then the first week of March - depends on which session - March 2 (distance/summer evening), March 5 (intersession) and March 9 (summer day) add the course through student.uwo.ca

ITA with princess2808 that 2.0 courses would be a good course load, 3.0 courses can be really stressful.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by princess2808 View Post
    mamabear: Watch buying a car. I missed in your post that you were talking about what you could afford. When you fill out an application that section that says assests needs to be under $5000 for it to not affect OSAP. A lease vehicle WILL affect your OSAP. Go to the library and ask to see their red books for vehicles. Find the newest one and look up which vehicle you are looking at. Use this number on the OSAP form in the assests column. You want the number to be lower than $5000 for it to not affect your OSAP. Anything over that is deducted dollar for dollar I believe....
    Oh thanks, I wonder how that works. Like we already have a pretty low income, I wonder if a few thousand dollars would effect what we got. Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by twinmommy View Post
    I am not sure about OSAP but just make sure you complete the summer term activation which starts the last week of February. Many students forget to do this and find out on the first day to register for their classes (first week of March) that they have not been activated for the summer term so they are delayed in registering for their courses. ITR is for Fall/Winter 2009-2010

To summer term activate:
    http://studentservices.uwo.ca - mypossibilities - summer activation (available the last week of February)

Then the first week of March - depends on which session - March 2 (distance/summer evening), March 5 (intersession) and March 9 (summer day) add the course through student.uwo.ca

ITA with princess2808 that 2.0 courses would be a good course load, 3.0 courses can be really stressful.
    Thanks, I didn't know about that!

Thanks princess! hmm...I wonder if it is the house that did me in. I did ask about the car and it wasn't that-2001 minivan and 1996 thuderbird so not fancy) Dh has an good job but we are not exactly rolling in it either. We seem to be stuck in that middle class income where you make too much for such things but not enough to for any extra for school etc. Not that school should be an extra! Anyway, sorry for my tangent. LOL
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)

Carol: I'd bet it could be the combination of the house and income. Normal income for us is in the high $20's range. So even if your family makes high $30's then it just might be the difference. OSAP really doesn't want you to be able to do anything while in school lol! Seems like middle class people really are stuck where they are in most cases.

Mamabear: I wonder if you could call OSAP and get them to tell you how much it would affect for each vehicle you are looking at. Remember it isn't what you pay for it that matters, it is the red book value of the vehicle. We paid around $9000-10000 for the van we have but the redbook value on it is around $4600. Different vehicles have different values depending on age and type.

Oh, right on, then we should be good I think.

OK this sucks, I need HELP! Rant to follow:

I've spoken to 2 different people at Student Financial Services (one at King's, one at main, the latter on the advice of the person at King's), and they've told me 2 different things about what it means to be full-time.

I'm sure I read somewhere full-time for summer school was 1 full credit. The person at King's said that you need to get this one credit over the course of the summer, so you can do like a half credit for intersession and a half credit for summer nights, for example. The person on main, who I'm pretty sure was wrong, told me full-time is just 60% of a courseload, same as during the school year, which would be 2 full credits, and again, you can spread them out however you want throughout the course of the summer.

So I don't know, and I don't know who does know. I know the Academic Dean's Office is having summer school counseling during reading week so I want to go to one of those, but it's drop-in so there will likely be a wait, and the time they're scheduled at means I will have to bring DD and keep her occupied while we sit around waiting to get a quick answer to a pretty basic question. Like, I have a hard time believing I'm the only student who wants/needs this information, so I'm not sure why it seems to be so hard to come by.

Sorry. In a bad mood. Ugh. And I'm extra pissed off because honestly, I don't have much in the way of options for summer school, just because of when I have childcare because they for some reason want to work summer school way differently from fall/spring semesters. What would actually fit and work perfectly would be the 12-week distance program. But of course I can't get OSAP for that. And why? Uhh, I dunno. It doesn't make any sense to me. I would spend the same amount of time on it as I would in class, just not in an actual class. I've done a year of university that was entirely distance, and I was fully funded by OSAP. How is it that UWO, a publicly funded university where the government pays for a buttload of its budget, is allowed to arbitrarily decide not to accept OSAP for certain programs? Like, how are they even allowed to do that? Total BS.

OK, rant over. Sorry you had to read all that. Does anyone know where I would find the answer to my question (about how much is FT in summer school, how that can be divided up, etc)?

Quote Originally Posted by mamabear View Post
    OK this sucks, I need HELP! Rant to follow:

I've spoken to 2 different people at Student Financial Services (one at King's, one at main, the latter on the advice of the person at King's), and they've told me 2 different things about what it means to be full-time.

I'm sure I read somewhere full-time for summer school was 1 full credit. The person at King's said that you need to get this one credit over the course of the summer, so you can do like a half credit for intersession and a half credit for summer nights, for example. The person on main, who I'm pretty sure was wrong, told me full-time is just 60% of a courseload, same as during the school year, which would be 2 full credits, and again, you can spread them out however you want throughout the course of the summer.

So I don't know, and I don't know who does know. I know the Academic Dean's Office is having summer school counseling during reading week so I want to go to one of those, but it's drop-in so there will likely be a wait, and the time they're scheduled at means I will have to bring DD and keep her occupied while we sit around waiting to get a quick answer to a pretty basic question. Like, I have a hard time believing I'm the only student who wants/needs this information, so I'm not sure why it seems to be so hard to come by.

Sorry. In a bad mood. Ugh. And I'm extra pissed off because honestly, I don't have much in the way of options for summer school, just because of when I have childcare because they for some reason want to work summer school way differently from fall/spring semesters. What would actually fit and work perfectly would be the 12-week distance program. But of course I can't get OSAP for that. And why? Uhh, I dunno. It doesn't make any sense to me. I would spend the same amount of time on it as I would in class, just not in an actual class. I've done a year of university that was entirely distance, and I was fully funded by OSAP. How is it that UWO, a publicly funded university where the government pays for a buttload of its budget, is allowed to arbitrarily decide not to accept OSAP for certain programs? Like, how are they even allowed to do that? Total BS.

OK, rant over. Sorry you had to read all that. Does anyone know where I would find the answer to my question (about how much is FT in summer school, how that can be divided up, etc)?
    i have no advice just sympathy. I hate calling there, no one seems to know anything and they just continue to transfer you around. I'm in the same boat with summer school and childcare too.
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)

UGH sorry this is being a pain for you!

You do not need to have 2 credits to get OSAP. I took a single credit at Brescia 2 summers ago and got OSAP (It was the year I got $6500 for the summer). I am pretty sure it was an evening course? 6-9pm sounds right to me twice a week?

I think they are saying distance doesn't count because you can still work while doing distance. :P to them then!

ok taking this thread a different direction, how does going to Fanshawe work with respect to OSAP. i would like to go back to school to upgrade my skills. just wondering where i go, to find out about their financial support system etc. anyone else attend FC.

You can get OSAP for fanshawe. Same application process but you tend to get less because the course fees *tend* to be less. You just choose a different program and write in a different school.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! eversoclever's Avatar

OK, DH is thinking about summer school so I'm bumping this thread. Any new advice now, ladies?

Expert Forum User

Just bumping up to say the Summer OSAP application is now online:

http://www.registrar.uwo.ca/Financia...r_OSAP_App.pdf
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123