Default any other hypoglycemic mommies or mommies to be??

I don't know why I didn't think of asking a long time ago
    Are there any other moms who have hypoglycemia?
    I was worried about getting preggers and what it was going to do to my blood sugar.
    So far its been awesome because it has actually put my blood in "normal" sugar ranges.
    I am suppose to go and do the glucose test for Gestational Diabetes but I am worried about what the sugar drink is going to do...and thinking back to the passing out/seizing I had when I was tested years ago I decided that it was a better Idea to skip it.
    If you are hypoglycemic did you get it done???

Im really surprised at how my sugar has been in good ranges.
    =D

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! Mommy2Cuties's Avatar

Did a google search and take from http://ezinearticles.com/?Pregnancy-...cemia&id=72291 (below is an exert) it looks like hypoglycemia SHOULD not affect your pregnancy if you are careful. I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia in grade 12 but I think my case is very rare as I have never really had an issue with it besides the headaches and dizziness. I have never tested my blood sugar LOL so I am thinking I was misdiagnosed haha.

There are various ways to achieve a smooth pregnancy even being diagnosed hypoglycemic. You have to follow an appropriate meal plan. Consult a Nutritionist or a Dietician in order to attain the appropriate level of sugar. Always monitor your blood glucose. Or you can administer insulin injections but be sure you are knowledgeable in adjusting the doses. You can add or maintain an appropriate level of physical activity. Be sure to consult your Obstetrician first before doing these.

There is no evidence that hypoglycemia is a threat to your pregnancy, but it can be a problem for you. The most important step is to prevent or reduce the risk of hypoglycemia. This means learning enough to control your blood sugar, and paying meticulous attention to the details of diabetes management. It may probably not possible to completely prevent hypoglycemia, so it is important to keep ready sources of carbohydrates with you at all times, including glucose tablets or gel. It would also be a good idea for your husband, family and perhaps a close co-worker to learn how to administer injections in case of a hypoglycemic.
    I stole Turtle's Lollipop! xoxo

Nicole, mama to Miss A (April 2005), Miss K (Sept 2007), Angel Baby (August 2008), and Baby A (June 2009)

Ooo you lucky lady LOL
    I was diagnosed at 12 and have had sever symptoms since then =S
    Its manageable though and I am super lucky to have a really supportive family
    It still sucks...
    And I was told around 18 that I shouldn't get pregnant, which is one of the main factors me and hubby waited so long. Then just like everything else getting pregnant and having issues was proven to be false as long as I continued to manage it.

Thanks for the article, I will check out the link =D

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Don't know that I would actually be diagnosed as hypoglycemic, but I am not a nice person when I'm hungry. Been told my mood changes are caused by low blood sugar...

I don't find it's affected my pregnancy. Other than making sure I always have snacks handy. The odd time I've had to have a late meal and I'm starving, I've learned to keep my mouth shut.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

This thread was posted at a great time because I just had a concern about hypoglycemia. From what I know, I am not hypoglycemic but I had to go for a two hour glucose test this morning and after I drink the drink they give you, I got very dizzy, light headed and was on my way to passing out. Thank god there were a couple of other ladies in the waiting room that recognized I needed help and they got me to a room where the nurses allowed me to lay down. I felt horrible but after laying down for a couple of hours and after they got the blood they needed, I drove myself home and now I am just feeling really tired/weak. This has never happened to me but from what the OP posted about feeling this way after being tested previously, I am concerned this is what I experienced. The nurses at the lab never said that I should do anything like call my doctor or be concerned, but something definitely was not right.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I get this too, shakes, dizziness, lightheaded, sweats, very tired, ive had blood tests but they come back - but then again its been 3 years since ive had them tested.

Sdiana78 sounds like you are hypoglycemic!
    thats how most other people who are positive react to the test
    Take it easy and eat a few small snacks =S
    Hope you feel better

My first test was awful. It ended with a full blown seizure and a day in the hospital
    I really don't want to scare you...I have it really severe and haven't really met anyone else outside my family who has it as bad as I do

It is super manageable (if you do have it) Just watch what you eat and take care of yourself..and when I was diagnosed they gave me free classes which were super helpful.

I really hope you feel better

Expert Forum User

I was hypo when pregnant with my first. It was really bad and even on a 'special diet' from a diabetes ditician, it wasn't regulated. My second pregnancy was fine, and the third time I had it a bit at the start and then was fine.