Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default opinions on baby shower registries

Good morning!

I'm new to Londonmoms.ca - pregnant with my first and due in July.

My friend and mom want to throw me a shower and I have been wrestling with whether to register. Is is tacky or is it helpful to people to know what to get you what you need without lots of duplicates?

My husband and I are getting all the big stuff but will need so much of all the little things. I have mixed feelings about the registry - is is convenient and helpful or spoiled and entitled?

Opinions are welcome....

First off congrats!!!!!

Im not having a shower (don't know anyone in London) but from my experience buying gifts for other people, I thought it was convenient.
    You are never sure what the person you are buying for has and doesn't have..so having a list of what you still need makes that so much easier.
    I don't think anyone would think you are being tacky. Its such a common thing to do and is really helpful....assuming you don't do a Tiffany's & Co. registry LOL

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Congrats from one summer mom to another!

Not tacky at all, that what they are there for. If its helps you could have registries for a couple of places like Wal-Mart, TRUs, that way the people that are coming to your shower who may wish to purchase items or even multiple items of the 'little' things can do so more inexpensively. Especially now in todays economy, your guests will still want to get you something nice, if you have the option of alot of items that are less expensive they are more likely to purchase them than few items that are expensive. Just a suggestion. I went to my sitters shower last summer and she had one at Wm with alot of 'little' things and i put together a basket for her, she LOVED it.

I didn't have a registry and ended up with ALOT of duplicates. I however don't buy off the registry, I usually look at it to get a feel for the persons taste and use that knowledge to come up with something a little more personal.

So I say a registry is a good thing

Expert Forum User

Def. do a registry!

Most stores will offer a discount if you want to buy unpurchased things after your shower....

Congrats!!

Expert Forum User

I recommend a registry if you know people will use it. We (I) didn't want a shower or gifts to start with so we did a registry with just the small items for people to grab. We purchased the large items ourselves. Not a single person used it...we ended up with doubles of stuff that we don't use as well as three bouncy chairs, disposable diapers (we told everyone we were using cloth) and two baby monitors.
    The concept is great and I don't think anyone finds it rude to registar, just don't waste your time doing it if friends/family won't use it anyhow.
    A by the book mama to a completley healthy DD Dec.2002 and doing it all different, BWng, CDing, BLWing, crunchy mama to an equally healthy DS Nov.2008 apparently a cosleeping mama DS Aug. 2011

Thanks to all for your input. I am thinking I will register just to keep myself organized!

I'll just leave it up to my friend and mom to spread the word and keep it reasonable.

Have a great day everyone!

Congrats!

I really like when their is a registry. I always know I am getting something that will be used lots. I never did any with my children but I do believe Sears is a good place to go. There is lots of selection there.

Banned

I always check for a registry before buying anything for a shower. So I think they are helpful!

Congrats!! I think gift registrys are great, that way everyone knows what you actually need and hopefully won't duplicate. You can do gifts from small to large and everything is covered.
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

Expert Forum User

I never buy stuff off of the registry if it is for a baby - I will for a wedding. In saying that I think that lots of people expect a registry these days.

Congrats too! I don't think registry's are tacky at all, some like to know where you are registered and its easier for those coming to just KNOW what you want, yk?

I didn't register and I think that was strange to some. I didn't want my shower invite to say where I was registered also, I felt like it was saying 'hey, buy me a gift that I want' kinda thing.It's my own issue, I know! lol

Expert Forum User

I will be doing a registry. I didn't do one for our wedding but that was because we lived together first and we had pretty much everything we needed. But when it comes to a baby I have nothing and its nice for people to be able to see what it is that you want/need. I am so excited for my shower which wont be for months but hey who doesn't like to get a bunch of baby stuff. haha

Congrats!

I don't think registrys are tacky. If they are included I always look on the registry to see what people need/want.

If you do a registry and expect everything you get to be from there, and resent it otherwise -- wrong to do. But if you do one so that if someone needs an idea, wants to know your style or so on, then it's fine and helpful.
    So basically my answer is your attitude about it matters more than the registry itself.

I find too if the person registers somewhere you can browse online, and somewhere with a variety of prices, it's helpful. So for example Toysrus or Sears or Walmart -- all have registries and all have small items to big ones.

Congrats

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast