Default How do I teach him how to pee?

Ok this sounds weird I know, but how do I teach Jack HOW to pee? He will stand up at the toilet and try to pee, or sit on the potty several times a day, but he has not peed.
    I don't think he knows how to make it come out (he tries to squeeze it out by pushing on his belly - very cute, but not effective).

I plan on putting him in just underwear and letting him feel the wet once the weather is warmer and we can be outside, but I would like to get him going before then, since it feels like the warm weather may take forever to come.

Any tips?

Oh, and he watches Daddy pee, so he knows what is supposed to happen. He never tells me when he has to go, so I just have to ask him to try several times a day.
    Barbi, mommy to
    Jack and Seth

Banned

My DS was exactly the same and I can't really help. He did the whole "trying to push it out thing" too!! All I can suggest is run the tap while he's trying - it might encourage some pee to come out! I just always hoped I would time it right, he would pee in the toilet, he would learn the feeling and we'd be off (which never actually happened BTW, but it might happen for you!!).
    Good luck.

We went through that. They can't relax enough to 'let it out.' I tried running water and it didn't help. After reading somewhere....I poured warm water over the genitals and that worked for me. Just keep trying and it will happen. I also used books as a distraction. Good luck!

I remember pointing out several times to my DS when he was peeing in the bathtub that he was going so he was able to recognize the sensation. When it came time to going pee on the potty, what we did was give him alot of fluids and made him sit on the potty for a while. I put on his favorite show and let him be a while. The 1st few tries failed. Then I realized that I am staring at him and probably putting him under pressure. I should just look around and get somthing in the next room and sure enough once the audience was gone he went.
    Once the deed was done we made it a huge deal and even gave him a new Thomas train. It was a potty party!!
    Now if I can just get the kid to poop on the potty!

MBM
    Formerly Mega Baby Mom:
    Mother of 2 boys born May 2004 and September 2006!

"I don't pretend to have all the answers. I don't pretend to even know what the questions are. Hey, where am I?"
    ~ Jack Handey

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I think I would just have him sit and relax on the toilet with a book maybe if he relaxes he'll just pee! Running the water always worked with dd that was actually why we started putting her on the toilet, she always peed while waiting for the tub to fill! LOL Good Luck, and dont' stress he'll get it when he's ready!
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.