Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating Clean

Expert Forum User

Default Eating Clean

I am a pretty health conscious person and eat very well. But I have noticed on my mat leave that I am eating way more junk being at home.
    So i have decided that for 30 days I am not eating any white sugar or flour. How hard could that be right?? I don't eat processed stuff really but I bake and cook a lot....
    Anyone done this? Did you feel great? I am hoping that it will help with fatigue mostly - I think i am feeling the effects of eating junk.

Expert Forum User

Good luck in your journey of eating clean. I did this for two months before getting pregnant. I found it really hard, I did not realize how dependant I had become on bread and pasta in my diet. I found it easier when I planned my meals and snacks so I did not resort to having quick fixes (such as a frozen pasta dinner).

Expert Forum User

I am not a huge bread eater and i eat whole wheat pasta about once a month.
    I read the book Eat Clean and i don't think I could ever be that structured in my eating but i like the concepts. And i will never give up cream in my coffee

Expert Forum User

you mean chips and pop are bad...? oops!

Are you talking about some book/diet program?

I don't like the idea of cutting stuff out of my diet all at once. I have cut down to one cup of coffe per day with no sugar and now to 3 glasses of pop a day instead of over a bottle lol. If I stop altogether I won't make it past the first day so I think over the period of a week you should slowly cut things out and find healthier snacks that are premade yourself. I try to keep a few baggies of carrot and celery sticks in the fridge for when I'm on the go or being too lazy to cook.
    April - Mommy to Ivy, Sophia & Ryker

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I did that for years... have fallen off the wagon lately as I now eat some white flour, but if you need any ideas let me know! IME you feel like crap for less than 48 hours, then you feel great.

Totally understand the eating more junk when on mat leave (eating more in general...the kitchen cupboards are so nice and close lol).

I've never tried that and honestly don't think I have the will power to do it. I have been consciously trying to just buy healthy stuff when grocery shopping though (fresh fruit/veggies and avoiding 'middle aisles' in the grocery store).

Quote Originally Posted by svanmep View Post
    Totally understand the eating more junk when on mat leave (eating more in general...the kitchen cupboards are so nice and close lol).

I've never tried that and honestly don't think I have the will power to do it. I have been consciously trying to just buy healthy stuff when grocery shopping though (fresh fruit/veggies and avoiding 'middle aisles' in the grocery store).
    You do have the willpower it is a matter of getting all of it out of your system so you don't crave it.

I am working really hard to eat better too, and I cut out sugar for a couple months, but felt so much better(though I have caved , but I don't let the wagon get too far ahead till I jump back on. I did it both time when I was pregnant, cut out everything that wasn't healthy and it totally gets to the point you don't crave it. I am going to join you in this, starting right tonight.

Expert Forum User

Yay My2babies! I will be sending positive vibes your way for sure.
    SkyS - Yes there is a diet book - I just like the concept of the book which is to not eat things that make your body feel blah and to eat things that are natural and good like protein and veggies. I am not interested myself in following the actual plan because I am not that organized. I usually eat very healthy but since being on mat leave not so much and I am feeling the effects...
    Myrrah - Thanks so much. I bet you felt great.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Before baby was on the way I was doing really well with eating and working out! I'ts all gone down the tubes since, but I'll get back on track soon.

I was following www.crossfit.com and I had just started Dr. Sear's "The Zone". Besides having a toddler to chase, I think changing some of my eating patterns with The Zone right beofre getting preggie has really helped me not put on as much weight as I did with DD. With DD I put on about 60 lbs, then got lost 58 of it, this time I'm at about 28-30 lbs.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

At times I have gone without sugar, wheat, coffee, alcohol or meat in my diet. It was ok and I felt pretty good when I did it. I now find that being less restrictive works better for me and it is about finding a balance.

I agree that I think for the first few days you may feel more tired but eventually your system adjusts and you end up feeling more energetic.
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process.” -Jan Fortune Wood"

Expert Forum User

I already don't eat a ton of the bad whites so I don't anticipate too much a tired period. I am more likely to suddenly eat a lot of sugar get a sugar high and crash - obviously not good.
    I do think it is a lot more difficult to eat well when at home because when at work I only have what I planned and packed - at home I have access to my baking supplies!!

Quote Originally Posted by Colleen View Post
    Before baby was on the way I was doing really well with eating and working out! I'ts all gone down the tubes since, but I'll get back on track soon.

I was following www.crossfit.com and I had just started Dr. Sear's "The Zone". Besides having a toddler to chase, I think changing some of my eating patterns with The Zone right beofre getting preggie has really helped me not put on as much weight as I did with DD. With DD I put on about 60 lbs, then got lost 58 of it, this time I'm at about 28-30 lbs.
    Good for you!!! I know your really didn't want to put on as much, that's awsome

Quote Originally Posted by lumpmamma View Post
    Yay My2babies! I will be sending positive vibes your way for sure.
    SkyS - Yes there is a diet book - I just like the concept of the book which is to not eat things that make your body feel blah and to eat things that are natural and good like protein and veggies. I am not interested myself in following the actual plan because I am not that organized. I usually eat very healthy but since being on mat leave not so much and I am feeling the effects...
    Myrrah - Thanks so much. I bet you felt great.

Thanks, I wish you well too in doing this.

Is that Tosca Reno's book? I always eye it up at chapters but have yet to buy it because I know how to eat good, just sometimes I don't and that's my problem. Actually my problem is my husband who continually brings junky foods in the house. I have no problem not buying it, but a harder time resisting it when it is sitting in my kitchen. I just told him he has to hide it because I don't want me or the kids eating it, so here's hoping he listens or a few things in the trash should help him if he doesn't.

Expert Forum User

Buahahhaha! My DH too! He promised not to buy any icecream while i was trying this!
    Yes, it is Tosca Renos book. I took it out from the library.

tosca reno also has a couple of cookbooks - the eat clean diet cookbook and the eat clean diet cookbook for family and kids. i've checked out the regular cookbook but not the family one - it might help with the planning process!

good luck - hope you feel great doing it!

I think life without dessert is a horrible thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast