Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Default How long is too long??***UPDATE****

For a fever??? Jordyn has had a fever since Wed. Going up as high as 104. It spent 4 of those days between 102 - 104 and in the last 24 hours it's been about 101. I had her at the docs ( not ours) on Friday and the fever didn't concern him then. She had no signs of an ear infection, throat etc.... But it's been a total of 5 days. Her cough is horrible. She goes from having energy to being totally clingy and crying. She is eating very little. I hate hate hate running to the docs and second guess myself for either going or not going. My doc is away till Tues. Otherwise I'd call him in the morning. I really don't want to run to emerge or the clinic. And I am not calling telehealth.

She has had some wheezing but I have just been giving her some of older dd's ventalin which seems to be helping. I sound bad don't I?

Okay so I gave in and took the girls to get checked out. I decided to have Camryn checked as well cause she has a really bad cough and has had a fever on and off for 5 days.

They did not seemed at ALL concerned that Jordyn has had a high fever for that long. Nor were they concerned about the fact that I have only been changing 2 wet diapers a day for the last 3 days. Plus she has barely eaten in a week. So the triage nurse and the nurse that checked the girls out thought her breathing was really harsh. The resisdent that saw her said she sound good, normal. Who do you believe?? Ears and throat all clear. It's just a virus blah blah blah ........ the pead who saw her ( or shall I say the guy who acted like he's god, I don't like him at all he saw Jordyn the last time I had her there, she was 10 months and had had a seizure) didn't even listen to her said shes fine go home. grrrrr guys like him are why I don't trust docs.

So Camryn~~ both nurses that listened to her said she was wheezing and they may want to xray her and increase her puffer. Resident has a listen says all is fine no wheezing normal chest sounds so again who is right. She has no ear infection either. Her chest hurts. I am to just keep giving her her ventalin as she needs it.

They sent us on our merry way. We were there less than 2 hours in total.
    Last edited by one ordinary girl; 01-25-2009 at 09:18 PM.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Banned

You don't sound bad at all. You sound concerned. I would be too. She has been sick for a long time. Is your family Dr. back on Monday? If you think she is wheezy I would take her in. I really hope she feels better soon.
    Last edited by Tan5kids; 01-25-2009 at 02:28 PM.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! eversoclever's Avatar

My doc says you should go in if it 1) reaches 104+ at any point or 2) is low-grade but sticks around for more than 4 days. I would let tomorrow morning be the decision maker. If she wakes up with a fever, go in. Aww, sorry. Hope she feels better.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by eversoclever View Post
    My doc says you should go in if it 1) reaches 104+ at any point or 2) is low-grade but sticks around for more than 4 days. I would let tomorrow morning be the decision maker. If she wakes up with a fever, go in. Aww, sorry. Hope she feels better.
    Same here, but our pediatrician says 5 days.

Hope she perks up soon!

Tan I love Noah's pic!!

My doc is away till Tuesday. grrr!! We have a 2 yr check up with him but not till Thursday and that is too long to wait.

the doc we saw friday did not seem concerned that it was going up to 104, funny how they all have diff opinions on when to bring them in.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User

Are those temps after tylenol or motrin? If it is staying at 102-104 with medication it is definitely time to take her in. Fever that high has a pretty good chance of something being bacterial. DD has had 2 pneumonias that were not caught at Dr. visits. I thought it was worse than they did, so after second guessing myself for another day or two and as she began to crash, took her to ER to get x-rays, sure enough advanced pneumonia was there.
    You seem to be quite worried, I think you should take her in. The worst that happens is that they say she has a bad viral infection. If you are absolutely opposed to going to children's ER, you could go to the step down Urgent Care at St.Joe's. The wait there is usually not to bad IME.
    I hope she is feeling better really soon, poor little thing!!!

This is from the sheet I use from the Midd. London Health Unit:

Children and Fever-
    -Dress in light clothing, don't bundle in blankets
    -Encourage your child to drink liquids
    -Use medication approved by a doctor (do not give more than 5 doses in 24 hours)
    -Do not give A.S.A. (aspirin) to children
    -Bathing a child with a fever is not advised

When to get help
    -any fever in a baby under 6 months old
    -if the fever is above 39 C (102 F)
    -if the fever lasts longer than 24 hours
    -if your child has other problems besides the fever (stiff neck, confusion, headache, vomiting, diarrhea, earache, rash, wheezing or coughing)
    -if your child is very fussy, irritable or cranky
    -if your child is very sleepy, or unresponsive
    -the child looks unwell even with the use of fever medicine
    -if you are worried about your child

Normal temp - up to 37.5
    Fever - 37.5-39
    High Fever 39-40+
    http://lifewithbecks.blogspot.com/

pm me for details about Little Diva Spa Parties

Quote Originally Posted by mom2lucas&sophie View Post
    Are those temps after tylenol or motrin? If it is staying at 102-104 with medication it is definitely time to take her in. Fever that high has a pretty good chance of something being bacterial. DD has had 2 pneumonias that were not caught at Dr. visits. I thought it was worse than they did, so after second guessing myself for another day or two and as she began to crash, took her to ER to get x-rays, sure enough advanced pneumonia was there.
    You seem to be quite worried, I think you should take her in. The worst that happens is that they say she has a bad viral infection. If you are absolutely opposed to going to children's ER, you could go to the step down Urgent Care at St.Joe's. The wait there is usually not to bad IME.
    I hope she is feeling better really soon, poor little thing!!!

This is from the sheet I use from the Midd. London Health Unit:

Children and Fever-
    -Dress in light clothing, don't bundle in blankets
    -Encourage your child to drink liquids
    -Use medication approved by a doctor (do not give more than 5 doses in 24 hours)
    -Do not give A.S.A. (aspirin) to children
    -Bathing a child with a fever is not advised

When to get help
    -any fever in a baby under 6 months old
    -if the fever is above 39 C (102 F)
    -if the fever lasts longer than 24 hours
    -if your child has other problems besides the fever (stiff neck, confusion, headache, vomiting, diarrhea, earache, rash, wheezing or coughing)
    -if your child is very fussy, irritable or cranky
    -if your child is very sleepy, or unresponsive
    -the child looks unwell even with the use of fever medicine
    -if you are worried about your child

Normal temp - up to 37.5
    Fever - 37.5-39
    High Fever 39-40+
    Thanks. It is still 101 with advil being given. Hmmm maybe I'll have to get her checked out.

To me, 101 is high! I don't think I'd wait until Tuesday (not that you were going to, lol) for her dr's appt to take her in. I think I'd go in to emerg/clinic now with the concern that it may be pneumonia.

I'm a worry wart though....
    ds - nov. '03 & dd - mar. '06

Quote Originally Posted by mayhemmom View Post
    To me, 101 is high! I don't think I'd wait until Tuesday (not that you were going to, lol) for her dr's appt to take her in. I think I'd go in to emerg/clinic now with the concern that it may be pneumonia.

I'm a worry wart though....
    I am too but am really bad for second guessing myself. I have often been made to feel like I wasted a docs time in bringing my child in. So I hate going to doctors.

Oh and she has had a seizure from a fever before so I am quick to medicate on the advice of her pead.

I was just reading up on fevers and got diff opinions on when to have them taken in. Some sites said 2 days some were 3.

What to do what to do.

Expert Forum User

i would just take her in
    Madison - Setember 20,2002
    Emma - June 12,2006 RCDH
    Carter- November 3, 2009

((hugs)) Jenn! Sorry you've been made to feel like you were wasting dr's time! Shame on them! Hope your dd is feeling better soon. (mine is, btw, although no results yet on her latest test, arghhhh)
    ds - nov. '03 & dd - mar. '06

Quote Originally Posted by mayhemmom View Post
    ((hugs)) Jenn! Sorry you've been made to feel like you were wasting dr's time! Shame on them! Hope your dd is feeling better soon. (mine is, btw, although no results yet on her latest test, arghhhh)
    Keep me posted if you ever get results.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Jenn, I'm waiting on having a vehicle and taking Noah back in, his fever seems to be gone now, but I'm still concerned, I hear ya on t he second guessing yourself situation. If I was yous, I'd be taking her to emerg.. esp if she's having the fever w/motrin/tylenol

I'd be on my way in too. 101 on meds is too high for my liking

Aww poor Jordyn. Could you go to a different clinic tomorrow? Maybe the Ped. walk in at Oxford/Wonderland?

-- Delia --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast